0.92.3 Release Planning Meeting ~ Feb 2nd

0.92.3 Release Planning Meeting ~ Feb 2nd

Bryce Harrington-3
After the last board meeting we discussed maybe starting 0.92.3 in Feb.

I'd like to hold a kickoff meeting following this Friday's board meeting
to get started.  Hopefully this should be a straightforward release but
worthwhile to touch base with everyone just in case.  For this meeting I
want to just get a handle on the status of everything and flag tasks
needing done.  I'd like to also get a rough timeline figured out.

Date:   Fri, 2nd Feb, 2018.
Time:   11:00 PST / 19:00 UTC / 20:00 CET
Where:  #inkscape-devel on freenode
What:   http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92.3

Agenda:

   + Status of the 0.92 tree
     - Any pending patches we should track?
     - Are there more fixes worth cherrypicking from trunk?
     - Are the release notes up to date?
   + Status of platform packaging
     - Any new issues compared with 0.92.2?
     - Are all 0.92.2 packagers available for this go around?
   + Release cycle plans
     - One pre-release?
     - Rough dates
   + Conditions that might cause release delay
   + Looking forward --- 0.93
     - Dependency versions needing revved?
     - Remaining licensing issues?
     - GTK+ 3 stabilization / Windows performance bug
     - Other stabilization work needed?
   + Next meeting?
     - March 2nd following board meeting?
   + Other business

Re: 0.92.3 Release Planning Meeting ~ Feb 2nd

Bryce Harrington-3
The release 0.92.3 meeting was held after last week's board meeting.
Thanks everyone that attended, especially Eduard, Moini, and Ted.
Transcript for the meeting is here:

  https://inkscape.org/en/paste/12011/

Action Items:

    ♢ ACTION: Acquire or build a list of commits worth backporting (see
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bugs?field.tag=backport-proposed
      for a start)
    ♦ ACTION: Notify translators [Ede_123] -- DONE
    ♢ ACTION: Scrub git changelog to identify changes needing documented
      in the Release Notes [bryce]
    ♢ ACTION: Land MR for the gcodetools patch from the forums
    ♢ ACTION: Document Tav's recent 0.92.3 changes into the Release
      Notes [Tav]
    ♢ ACTION: Update bundled documentation / tutorials (inkscape-docs)
      in the release [Ede_123]

Some key points and decisions:

  * The 0.92.x tree is felt to be pretty stable, and suitable for a
    release as is.

  * Quite a few fixes have accumulated since 0.92.2:
    https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/commits/0.92.x

  * Release Notes need finishing.  If you've landed stuff in 0.92.x
    please check that it's mentioned adequately here:
    http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92.3

  * List of patches still to be backported is short:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bugs?field.tag=backport-proposed

  * Let bryce know if there are urgent or high importance patches you'd
    like to have backported to include in 0.92.3.

  * Packaging for Windows is in good shape.  We don't have info on OSX
    but presumably what worked for 0.92.2 will work for 0.92.3.  Snap
    packages have been improved since 0.92.2 and are ready to go for
    0.92.3.

  * Translations will be handled informally this cycle.  We don't think
    there's been significant string changes and don't expect much change
    from patches to come.  We encourage translators to update
    translations now, and we'll try to minimize any further string
    changes.

  * Timeframe for release is penciled in as 1 month.  Bryce will package
    a pre-release the last week of Feb for testing.  We'll review at the
    next release meeting on Mar 2nd, and if things look good the release
    tarball will be rolled over the weekend with the actual release
    occuring the following week.  If it looks like we need more work,
    we'll replan at that meeting.

Bryce