Quantcast

360 Total Security

jelle-2

360 Total Security

That you've never heard of this virus scanner is not that strange. However
it has an installed base on 99.99999999% (my estimate) of all windows PCś
in China. The only PCś that I know without it are those I laid my hands
on. We're talking about every windows installation in China, 64 and 32
bit. That these guys managed to report anything on launchpad is a small
miracle and shows their persistence.

Now of course that entails only about 700 Million PC's in the country, so
hardly a popular browser.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone dropped a big red envelope
on Qihoo (the company) to make this happen or someone asked his uncle Wu
for a favor.

In any case I would recommend any user of 360 to remove the software
(virtually impossible b.t.w. it acts like a virus once installed. I tend
to boot into Linux to clean up the crap, then have to purge registry
manually taking care not to remove another thingy called 360 that will
bork the machine if removed.)

Qihoo takes care of a steady stream of virus that will be found by their
scanner and doesn't find anything really dangerous. Is total nonsense but
will do some nice keyboard logging, sends data to 3rd parties and makes
lots of ads pop up while you're watching movies. Oh,.. I believe DNS
poisoning is also one its tricks. This is standard practice for 'free
software' in China, so letś not make too much of it. It adds to the
overall surveillance of subversive terminology here.

No doubt it is one of the reasons you've never heard of it as only an
idiot will install it voluntarily.

In any case it might be worthwhile to contact those rogues at Qihoo and
ask kindly whether their software is corrupt or someone in the blacklist
department has bought a new car lately. On the other hand I cannot exclude
a man in the middle attack or the people downloading Inkscape from a 3rd
party website as that is a common way of getting software for free.
Whether that is Illustrator or Inkscape doesn't really matter. The reason
being mainly that any software downloaded from outside China is prone to
package loss due to latency.

The fact that Inkscape is on their radar at all is quite impressive. 90%
of all software here is pirated and the rest is for free except for the
government installed windows and whatever comes with high end brands
pre-installed.

I have never been able to access launchpad before I was given special
access by Maren some year ago. If they did they must have had the patience
of Job to do so. BTW, as one of my Yahoo accounts was hacked I lost that
access.

> Relevant bug report (I don't know if this was one of thetwo reports):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1658812

> If you want feel free to contact them (I didn't know that Virusscanner
> either and I doubt it's that popular, so I didn't bother to take action
> in the first place).

> Regards,
> Eduard

Just about anyone in China, except the 1 million expats.

Cheers,

Jelle

Re: 360 Total Security

Brynn
Wow!

> No doubt it is one of the reasons you've never heard of it as only an
idiot will install it voluntarily.

Well, at least 2 Inkscape users have installed it.  Even someone with my
experience, which I would call intermediate, I haven't seen more than a slight
clue that it might not be so reputable.  I saw the reports about not being able
to uninstall it.  But as I said, Norton/Symantec does something similar - once
you install it, parts of it will never be removed.

Now that I have this info, I think instead that I will not contact them.  And
rather, any future reports we get, I'll use stronger language than "I've never
heard of it".  Maybe suggest getting rid of it.  I did offer to refer that first
person to a reputable security forum I know about, where they could learn about
some better programs.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

> [...]

of all software here is pirated and the rest is for free except for the
government installed windows and whatever comes with high end brands
pre-installed.

I have never been able to access launchpad before I was given special
access by Maren some year ago. If they did they must have had the patience
of Job to do so. BTW, as one of my Yahoo accounts was hacked I lost that
access.

> Relevant bug report (I don't know if this was one of thetwo reports):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1658812

> If you want feel free to contact them (I didn't know that Virusscanner
> either and I doubt it's that popular, so I didn't bother to take action
> in the first place).

> Regards,
> Eduard

Just about anyone in China, except the 1 million expats.

Eduard Braun
Am 07.02.2017 um 17:03 schrieb brynn:
> Now that I have this info, I think instead that I will not contact them.  And
> rather, any future reports we get, I'll use stronger language than "I've never
> heard of it".
Yes, maybe let's see if we can find out what triggers that detection and
build it into all our packages. >:-)

No, seriously, I found that software kinda suspicious as it was
available from about every site that keeps lists of free software while
giving very little information on their official homepage. Also I didn't
find much with respect to reviews / substantial test reports.

Therefore thank you jelle for that information!

Regards,
Eduard

Re: 360 Total Security

Am 07.02.2017 um 15:43 schrieb jelle:

> I have never been able to access launchpad before I was given special
> access by Maren some year ago. If they did they must have had the patience
> of Job to do so. BTW, as one of my Yahoo accounts was hacked I lost that
> access.

- Let me know privately if you'd like me to create another account for
you (I think that was what I did, but you may remember better than me...)

Do gitlab / github work from China?

Maren