About knots selection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

About knots selection

Antonio Ospite
Hi,

I was looking into fixing
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1707919 and, after compiling a
recent Inkscape version I noticed that the behavior of knot changed wrt.
selection and dragging compared to 0.92.x.

After some research on the mailing list I found the change mentioned
here:
https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/07/12/what-happened-hackfest-2017/

I can see the benefit of keeping knots selected to be able to move
them with the keyboard but I still find the new behavior a little
unintuitive, at lest for shape editing:
 
  1. The colors of the mouse-over and selected states are the same,
     maybe the coloring scheme of node paths can be copied: where
     mouse-over color is different from the selected and dragging colors
     which are the same.

  2. Previously selected knots look still selected when _another_ knot
     is dragged without pressing Shift.
     Steps to replicate:
       1. Change size of a rect using one corner.
       2. Then change the size using the opposite corner.
          The firs corner looks still selected.

  3. Shift-click does not really select arc knots for ellipses, or
     rounding knots for rects, because this action is already used for
     something else, e.g. to close the arc instead.

     Would it be possible to use Ctrl-Shift-click for the current
     function and leave Shift-click for the normal select behavior?
     IMHO this would be more consistent.

  4. Dragging with the mouse only affects the last selected knot, even
     if multiple ones are selected, but this is not a big deal, the
     behavior is different compared to path nodes, but both make sense
     IMHO.

I'll resume working on https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1707919
after the details from above are sorted out, to avoid overlapping
problems.

Thanks,
   Antonio

P.S.
When verifying 1. I also noticed that path nodes change their size when
clicked the _first_time_ but then get smaller again if the object
is unselected and re-selected; however this is unrelated to the message
above, I'll file a separate bug report for that if it can considered a
bug, what do you think?

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it
https://twitter.com/ao2it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About knots selection

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Antonio, as Im the dev do this Im glad to help you on it or fix
myself if you are not interested.

All the best, Jabier.


On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 19:59 +0200, Antonio Ospite wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking into fixing
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1707919 and, after compiling
> a
> recent Inkscape version I noticed that the behavior of knot changed
> wrt.
> selection and dragging compared to 0.92.x.
>
> After some research on the mailing list I found the change mentioned
> here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/07/12/what-happened-hackfest-2017/
>
> I can see the benefit of keeping knots selected to be able to move
> them with the keyboard but I still find the new behavior a little
> unintuitive, at lest for shape editing:
>  
>   1. The colors of the mouse-over and selected states are the same,
>      maybe the coloring scheme of node paths can be copied: where
>      mouse-over color is different from the selected and dragging
> colors
>      which are the same.
>
>   2. Previously selected knots look still selected when _another_
> knot
>      is dragged without pressing Shift.
>      Steps to replicate:
>        1. Change size of a rect using one corner.
>        2. Then change the size using the opposite corner.
>           The firs corner looks still selected.
>
>   3. Shift-click does not really select arc knots for ellipses, or
>      rounding knots for rects, because this action is already used
> for
>      something else, e.g. to close the arc instead.
>
>      Would it be possible to use Ctrl-Shift-click for the current
>      function and leave Shift-click for the normal select behavior?
>      IMHO this would be more consistent.
>
>   4. Dragging with the mouse only affects the last selected knot,
> even
>      if multiple ones are selected, but this is not a big deal, the
>      behavior is different compared to path nodes, but both make
> sense
>      IMHO.
>
> I'll resume working on https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/17079
> 19
> after the details from above are sorted out, to avoid overlapping
> problems.
>
> Thanks,
>    Antonio
>
> P.S.
> When verifying 1. I also noticed that path nodes change their size
> when
> clicked the _first_time_ but then get smaller again if the object
> is unselected and re-selected; however this is unrelated to the
> message
> above, I'll file a separate bug report for that if it can considered
> a
> bug, what do you think?
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About knots selection

Antonio Ospite
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:04:04 +0200
Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Antonio, as Im the dev do this Im glad to help you on it or fix
> myself if you are not interested.
>

Hola Jabier,

I'd appreciate it if you could start fixing these details, I won't be
able to look into this myself before the week-end.

Maybe item 3. needs some more discussion.

Item 4. is just an observation, it's not urgent at all.

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it
https://twitter.com/ao2it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About knots selection

Jabier Arraiza
Hola Antonio!

Im currenty working on symbols dialog but I hope I can get into this
weekend.

Cheers, Jabier.


On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 23:34 +0200, Antonio Ospite wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:04:04 +0200
> Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Antonio, as Im the dev do this Im glad to help you on it or fix
> > myself if you are not interested.
> >
>
> Hola Jabier,
>
> I'd appreciate it if you could start fixing these details, I won't be
> able to look into this myself before the week-end.
>
> Maybe item 3. needs some more discussion.
>
> Item 4. is just an observation, it's not urgent at all.
>
> Thanks,
>    Antonio
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About knots selection

Antonio Ospite
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:01:11 +0200
Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hola Antonio!
>
> Im currenty working on symbols dialog but I hope I can get into this
> weekend.
>

Ping.

Hi Jabier, any news about this issue?

Last time I checked a few days ago the behavior of object control points
still shows the problems presented in the first message of this thread.

If you are busy I'll try to take a look myself during the week-end.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it
https://twitter.com/ao2it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About knots selection

Jabier Arraiza
Hola Antonio!

What you want! I hope I can go into later but your help onto inkscape
is very welcome.

Ping me if you finaly coulden't do. Regards, Jabier.




On Wed, 2018-03-07 at 18:25 +0100, Antonio Ospite wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:01:11 +0200
> Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hola Antonio!
> >
> > Im currenty working on symbols dialog but I hope I can get into
> > this
> > weekend.
> >
>
> Ping.
>
> Hi Jabier, any news about this issue?
>
> Last time I checked a few days ago the behavior of object control
> points
> still shows the problems presented in the first message of this
> thread.
>
> If you are busy I'll try to take a look myself during the week-end.
>
> Ciao,
>    Antonio
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About knots selection

Antonio Ospite
In reply to this post by Antonio Ospite
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 19:59:14 +0200
Antonio Ospite <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking into fixing
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1707919 and, after compiling a
> recent Inkscape version I noticed that the behavior of knot changed wrt.
> selection and dragging compared to 0.92.x.
>
> After some research on the mailing list I found the change mentioned
> here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/07/12/what-happened-hackfest-2017/
>
> I can see the benefit of keeping knots selected to be able to move
> them with the keyboard but I still find the new behavior a little
> unintuitive, at lest for shape editing:
>

OK, after about one year, I managed to find some motivation to start
looking at these issues myself. :)

>   1. The colors of the mouse-over and selected states are the same,
>      maybe the coloring scheme of node paths can be copied: where
>      selected color is different from the mouse-over and dragging colors
>      which are the same.
>

The current default colors for knots states are:

  NORMAL    -> white
  MOUSEOVER -> red
  DRAGGING  -> blue
  SELECTED  -> red

Now that knots are actually selectable after commit ff04a08000 (working
on knots selection, 2017-07-01), using the *same* color for the
MOUSEOVER and SELECTED looks like a contradiction to me considering
that one is an instantaneous indicator and the other represents a more
persistent state.

MOUSEOVER and DRAGGING are more similar, so switch to the following
style:

  NORMAL    -> white
  MOUSEOVER -> red
  DRAGGING  -> red
  SELECTED  -> blue

The new style also matches what path nodes look like.

>   2. Previously selected knots look still selected when _another_ knot
>      is dragged without pressing Shift.
>      Steps to replicate:
>        1. Change size of a rect using one corner.
>        2. Then change the size using the opposite corner.
>           The firs corner looks still selected.
>

I'll solve this by updating the knots selection status in a newly added
"mousedown" signal handler, instead of doing it when the mouse button
is released (click/ungrabbed signals).

>   3. Shift-click does not really select arc knots for ellipses, or
>      rounding knots for rects, because this action is already used for
>      something else, e.g. to close the arc instead.
>
>      Would it be possible to use Ctrl-Shift-click for the current
>      function and leave Shift-click for the normal select behavior?
>      IMHO this would be more consistent.

I am not going to tackle this just yet, maybe we can discuss the
behavior in another thread; the problem is that Shift-click can both
select knots and perform some other operations (e.g. reset rounded
corner radius for rects) at the same time. Do we want this ambiguity?

Should I open a bug report for that?

>   4. Dragging with the mouse only affects the last selected knot, even
>      if multiple ones are selected, but this is not a big deal, the
>      behavior is different compared to path nodes, but both make sense
>      IMHO.
>

Not sure what to do about this one, should we move *all* the selected
knots with the mouse, just like it's done for path nodes?
The behavior might be weird when selecting knots with different
functions, but this can already be done by moving multiple knots with
the keyboard anyway, so whatever decision is made let's be consistent
between mouse and keyboard movement.

Should I open a bug report for that too?

Another things I noticed about knots:

5. Moving knots up and down with the keyboard moves them in the
   opposite direction when the Y axis goes downwards.

   This happens because commit 1fa0c72b66 (New option to invert y-axis,
   2018-09-12) forgot to handle Y direction in
   src/ui/tools/tool-base.cpp.

   I'll fix the issue by applying the Y axis direction factor just like
   it's done in src/ui/tool/control-point-selection.cpp, but I haven't
   checked all the other tools.

I am going to send a merge request with the fixes I got so far, and if
there is interest we can discuss about the remaining issues (3. and 4.
from above).

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it
https://twitter.com/ao2it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?


_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel