About knots selection

Antonio Ospite
Hi,

I was looking into fixing
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1707919 and, after compiling a
recent Inkscape version I noticed that the behavior of knot changed wrt.
selection and dragging compared to 0.92.x.

After some research on the mailing list I found the change mentioned
here:
https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/07/12/what-happened-hackfest-2017/

I can see the benefit of keeping knots selected to be able to move
them with the keyboard but I still find the new behavior a little
unintuitive, at lest for shape editing:

  1. The colors of the mouse-over and selected states are the same,
     maybe the coloring scheme of node paths can be copied: where
     mouse-over color is different from the selected and dragging colors
     which are the same.

  2. Previously selected knots look still selected when _another_ knot
     is dragged without pressing Shift.
     Steps to replicate:
       1. Change size of a rect using one corner.
       2. Then change the size using the opposite corner.
          The firs corner looks still selected.

  3. Shift-click does not really select arc knots for ellipses, or
     rounding knots for rects, because this action is already used for
     something else, e.g. to close the arc instead.

     Would it be possible to use Ctrl-Shift-click for the current
     function and leave Shift-click for the normal select behavior?
     IMHO this would be more consistent.

  4. Dragging with the mouse only affects the last selected knot, even
     if multiple ones are selected, but this is not a big deal, the
     behavior is different compared to path nodes, but both make sense
     IMHO.

I'll resume working on https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1707919
after the details from above are sorted out, to avoid overlapping
problems.

Thanks,
   Antonio

P.S.
When verifying 1. I also noticed that path nodes change their size when
clicked the _first_time_ but then get smaller again if the object
is unselected and re-selected; however this is unrelated to the message
above, I'll file a separate bug report for that if it can considered a
bug, what do you think?

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: About knots selection

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Antonio, as Im the dev do this Im glad to help you on it or fix
myself if you are not interested.

All the best, Jabier.

On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 19:59 +0200, Antonio Ospite wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking into fixing
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1707919 and, after compiling
> recent Inkscape version I noticed that the behavior of knot changed
> wrt.
> selection and dragging compared to 0.92.x.
>
> After some research on the mailing list I found the change mentioned
> here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/07/12/what-happened-hackfest-2017/
>
> I can see the benefit of keeping knots selected to be able to move
> them with the keyboard but I still find the new behavior a little
> unintuitive, at lest for shape editing:
>
>   1. The colors of the mouse-over and selected states are the same,
>      maybe the coloring scheme of node paths can be copied: where
>      mouse-over color is different from the selected and dragging
> colors
>      which are the same.
>
>   2. Previously selected knots look still selected when _another_
> knot
>      is dragged without pressing Shift.
>      Steps to replicate:
>        1. Change size of a rect using one corner.
>        2. Then change the size using the opposite corner.
>           The firs corner looks still selected.
>
>   3. Shift-click does not really select arc knots for ellipses, or
>      rounding knots for rects, because this action is already used
> for
>      something else, e.g. to close the arc instead.
>
>      Would it be possible to use Ctrl-Shift-click for the current
>      function and leave Shift-click for the normal select behavior?
>      IMHO this would be more consistent.
>
>   4. Dragging with the mouse only affects the last selected knot,
> even
>      if multiple ones are selected, but this is not a big deal, the
>      behavior is different compared to path nodes, but both make
> sense
>      IMHO.
>
> I'll resume working on https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/17079
> 19
> after the details from above are sorted out, to avoid overlapping
> problems.
>
> Thanks,
>    Antonio
>
> P.S.
> When verifying 1. I also noticed that path nodes change their size
> when
> clicked the _first_time_ but then get smaller again if the object
> is unselected and re-selected; however this is unrelated to the
> message
> above, I'll file a separate bug report for that if it can considered
> bug, what do you think?

Re: About knots selection

Antonio Ospite
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:04:04 +0200
Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Antonio, as Im the dev do this Im glad to help you on it or fix
> myself if you are not interested.

Hola Jabier,

I'd appreciate it if you could start fixing these details, I won't be
able to look into this myself before the week-end.

Maybe item 3. needs some more discussion.

Item 4. is just an observation, it's not urgent at all.

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: About knots selection

Jabier Arraiza
Hola Antonio!

Im currenty working on symbols dialog but I hope I can get into this
weekend.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 23:34 +0200, Antonio Ospite wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:04:04 +0200
> Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Antonio, as Im the dev do this Im glad to help you on it or fix
> > myself if you are not interested.
> >

> Hola Jabier,
>
> I'd appreciate it if you could start fixing these details, I won't be
> able to look into this myself before the week-end.
>
> Maybe item 3. needs some more discussion.
>
> Item 4. is just an observation, it's not urgent at all.
>
> Thanks,
>    Antonio

Re: About knots selection

Antonio Ospite
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:01:11 +0200
Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hola Antonio!
>
> Im currenty working on symbols dialog but I hope I can get into this
> weekend.

Ping.

Hi Jabier, any news about this issue?

Last time I checked a few days ago the behavior of object control points
still shows the problems presented in the first message of this thread.

If you are busy I'll try to take a look myself during the week-end.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: About knots selection

Jabier Arraiza
Hola Antonio!

What you want! I hope I can go into later but your help onto inkscape
is very welcome.

Ping me if you finaly coulden't do. Regards, Jabier.