Quantcast

Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

1234

Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
I have a recent laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit and 8GB of RAM.
If I use any kind of effects on inkscape I can forget using inkscape for
the day because the speed is so slow it takes a day for any movement to
appear on the screen.
Again trying to export to bitmap is impossible.
If I don't use any effects then the speed is reasonable.
I like what Inkscape is intended to do but does anyone know of a similar
open source program that will work on Windows 7??

Dennis

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Eneko Gotzon Ares
Hi Dennis. I'm a beginner that still only has drawn the Swedish flag
of the –wonderful– manual, so be indulgent with me...

Look at Inkscape Preferences (shift+ctrl+p) > Filters to see what
display qualities are checked. They influence the processing speed.

hth

--
Eneko Gotzon Ares

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Josh Andler
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Dennis Melling
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a recent laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit and 8GB of RAM.
> If I use any kind of effects on inkscape I can forget using inkscape for
> the day because the speed is so slow it takes a day for any movement to
> appear on the screen.
> Again trying to export to bitmap is impossible.
> If I don't use any effects then the speed is reasonable.
> I like what Inkscape is intended to do but does anyone know of a similar
> open source program that will work on Windows 7??

By effects do you mean Filters?

Cheers,
Josh

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Chris Tooley

This URL may yield some results for you:

Perhaps another option, though, would be to try out a nightly build of inkscape for windows?

I've also found that after I group complicated objects together, inkscape speeds up quite a bit - maybe it's a workaround for you as well?

-Chris

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
Hi

Thank you for your offer of help. I have just finished a very intricate drawing of a sorceress and noticed that I had mixed a layer and the mouth and nose needed to be rescaled. I have been trying to do these simple edits for 3 days!
I tried your suggestion and moved both filters from normal to lower quality and did notice a slight increase in speed, however, the image was completely blurred out :(

Thank you
Dennis

On 30 August 2012 22:17, Eneko Gotzon Ares <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dennis. I'm a beginner that still only has drawn the Swedish flag
of the –wonderful– manual, so be indulgent with me...

Look at Inkscape Preferences (shift+ctrl+p) > Filters to see what
display qualities are checked. They influence the processing speed.

hth

On 30 Aug 2012, at 16:10, Dennis Melling wrote:

> If I use any kind of effects on inkscape I can forget using inkscape
> for
> the day because the speed is so slow

--
Eneko Gotzon Ares

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
Hi

Yes the filters. I mainly use blur and combined lighting but both of them make it impossible for me to continue to use Inkscape.

Dennis

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a recent laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit and 8GB of RAM.
> If I use any kind of effects on inkscape I can forget using inkscape for
> the day because the speed is so slow it takes a day for any movement to
> appear on the screen.
> Again trying to export to bitmap is impossible.
> If I don't use any effects then the speed is reasonable.
> I like what Inkscape is intended to do but does anyone know of a similar
> open source program that will work on Windows 7??

By effects do you mean Filters?

Cheers,
Josh

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
Thank you Chris

I will check out the url.

I have just completed a very complex image and have tried grouping several areas and applying filters to small areas as I go but, as soon as I apply a filter, Inkscape just grinds to a halt (alternating between open and not responding every second).

I have used Gimp for several years and with my 8GB RAM I just fly through an image but Inkscape is a terrible disappointment :(

Dennis

On 30 August 2012 22:22, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

This URL may yield some results for you:

Perhaps another option, though, would be to try out a nightly build of inkscape for windows?

I've also found that after I group complicated objects together, inkscape speeds up quite a bit - maybe it's a workaround for you as well?

-Chris

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Nicu Buculei
On 08/31/2012 10:05 AM, Dennis Melling wrote:

> I will check out the url.
>
> I have just completed a very complex image and have tried grouping
> several areas and applying filters to small areas as I go but, as soon
> as I apply a filter, Inkscape just grinds to a halt (alternating between
> open and not responding every second).
>
> I have used Gimp for several years and with my 8GB RAM I just fly
> through an image but Inkscape is a terrible disappointment :(

These (GIMP and Inkscape) are different apps and work fundamentally in
different ways, in one case everything is rasterized and in the other
you keep track (and compute) every node and transformation.

It is known that adding a lot of filters will greatly slow-down Inkscape
(not only on Windows). It was suggested earlier to lower the quality,
that's a workaround, you are supposed to turn them up again then the
graphics are done for the final result.

Other workarounds include toggling various display modes (no filters,
outline) during the editing process and go back to normal when done.

Another way is to keep various elements in their own layers and toggle
the visibility of those layers on and off, you make them visible only
when you need them: an invisible layer does not need to be redrawn and
will not speed down the application.

Unfortunately, there is no Free software alternative to Inkscape (there
are some other FOSS vector editors, but feature-wise they are inferior),
so you will have to rely on workarounds.

--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
Hi

That is great information, I will look into these work arounds but I am still very disappointed with Inkscape.
After reading lots of positives about the program I thought that it would be very good.
When I reach my final image with the filter effects applied I can no longer edit anything and converting to a bitmap image is like crashing your head into a brick wall:(

Dennis

On 31 August 2012 11:58, Nicu Buculei <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/31/2012 10:05 AM, Dennis Melling wrote:

> I will check out the url.
>
> I have just completed a very complex image and have tried grouping
> several areas and applying filters to small areas as I go but, as soon
> as I apply a filter, Inkscape just grinds to a halt (alternating between
> open and not responding every second).
>
> I have used Gimp for several years and with my 8GB RAM I just fly
> through an image but Inkscape is a terrible disappointment :(

These (GIMP and Inkscape) are different apps and work fundamentally in
different ways, in one case everything is rasterized and in the other
you keep track (and compute) every node and transformation.

It is known that adding a lot of filters will greatly slow-down Inkscape
(not only on Windows). It was suggested earlier to lower the quality,
that's a workaround, you are supposed to turn them up again then the
graphics are done for the final result.

Other workarounds include toggling various display modes (no filters,
outline) during the editing process and go back to normal when done.

Another way is to keep various elements in their own layers and toggle
the visibility of those layers on and off, you make them visible only
when you need them: an invisible layer does not need to be redrawn and
will not speed down the application.

Unfortunately, there is no Free software alternative to Inkscape (there
are some other FOSS vector editors, but feature-wise they are inferior),
so you will have to rely on workarounds.

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Jasper van de Gronde
On 31-08-12 12:01, Dennis Melling wrote:
> Hi
>
> That is great information, I will look into these work arounds but I am
> still very disappointed with Inkscape.
> After reading lots of positives about the program I thought that it
> would be very good.
> When I reach my final image with the filter effects applied I can no
> longer edit anything and converting to a bitmap image is like crashing
> your head into a brick wall:(

Sad to hear you're having so much trouble. Have you tried the current
development version (0.49)? It has a different renderer and can be quite
a bit faster in certain cases (among other things, the cache has been
improved). There are "nightly" builds available from the site (although
the link seems to be down at the moment, if you have trouble accessing
it, feel free to ask on the list for a build and I or someone else with
Windows will provide it).

If you still have problems with the development version, I'd love to see
an example of a really bad performing image, to see where the problem lies.

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
I am using 0.48 but will check out 0.49, when possible.

I have attached the image that I am currently having problems with. I completed the image and then realised that I had misplaced a layer and the nose and mouth needed extra work. That is when the trouble started!

The image is so badly corrupted because I down graded the filters and now can no longer return to the original settings............

I have found that I can avoid the Inkscape 'export to bitmap' by saving a copy to Gimp and then exporting from there. This is lightning fast :)

I checked the 0.49x download site and it says that there aren't any download files available?

Dennis

2drawing souceress.svg (1M) Download Attachment

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
Just read:

Very interesting

Dennis

On 31 August 2012 15:33, Dennis Melling <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am using 0.48 but will check out 0.49, when possible.

I have attached the image that I am currently having problems with. I completed the image and then realised that I had misplaced a layer and the nose and mouth needed extra work. That is when the trouble started!

The image is so badly corrupted because I down graded the filters and now can no longer return to the original settings............

I have found that I can avoid the Inkscape 'export to bitmap' by saving a copy to Gimp and then exporting from there. This is lightning fast :)

I checked the 0.49x download site and it says that there aren't any download files available?

Dennis

On 31 August 2012 14:01, Jasper van de Gronde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31-08-12 12:01, Dennis Melling wrote:
> Hi
>
> That is great information, I will look into these work arounds but I am
> still very disappointed with Inkscape.
> After reading lots of positives about the program I thought that it
> would be very good.
> When I reach my final image with the filter effects applied I can no
> longer edit anything and converting to a bitmap image is like crashing
> your head into a brick wall:(

Sad to hear you're having so much trouble. Have you tried the current
development version (0.49)? It has a different renderer and can be quite
a bit faster in certain cases (among other things, the cache has been
improved). There are "nightly" builds available from the site (although
the link seems to be down at the moment, if you have trouble accessing
it, feel free to ask on the list for a build and I or someone else with
Windows will provide it).

If you still have problems with the development version, I'd love to see
an example of a really bad performing image, to see where the problem lies.

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Quick Silver
It depends of course on the complexity of your drawings.
What about replacing Windows 7 with Linux?  I  use Inkscape and Linux and they work very well together. I  have had no trouble using Netscape and filters. Netscape is a wonderful program. I switched it after using Adobe illustrator.

Graheme

On 30 Aug 2012, at 15:10, Dennis Melling wrote:

I have a recent laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit and 8GB of RAM.
If I use any kind of effects on inkscape I can forget using inkscape for
the day because the speed is so slow it takes a day for any movement to
appear on the screen.
Again trying to export to bitmap is impossible.
If I don't use any effects then the speed is reasonable.
I like what Inkscape is intended to do but does anyone know of a similar
open source program that will work on Windows 7??

Dennis

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Felix E. Klee
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Quick Silver
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Netscape is a wonderful program.

Consider upgrading to Firefox. It has native SVG support. ;-)

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Bugzilla from carlsymons@gmail.com
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dennis Melling
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Chris
>
> I will check out the url.
>
> I have just completed a very complex image and have tried grouping several
> areas and applying filters to small areas as I go but, as soon as I apply a
> filter, Inkscape just grinds to a halt (alternating between open and not
> responding every second).
>
> I have used Gimp for several years and with my 8GB RAM I just fly through an
> image but Inkscape is a terrible disappointment :(
>
> Dennis

Really sad commentary that you blame Inkscape. The general experience
with Inkscape here and elsewhere is that it is outstanding. You might
want to look at the Windows ecosystem for why you are having problems.

As far as a recommendation...Adobe Illustrator. It is the premier svg
editor for the Windows environment. Absolutely the best thing for you
given your context.

Carl

> On 30 August 2012 22:22, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This URL may yield some results for you:
>> http://alternativeto.net/software/inkscape/?platform=windows
>>
>> Perhaps another option, though, would be to try out a nightly build of
>> inkscape for windows?
>>
>> I've also found that after I group complicated objects together, inkscape
>> speeds up quite a bit - maybe it's a workaround for you as well?
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>> On 2012-08-30, at 7:10 AM, Dennis Melling <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I have a recent laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit and 8GB of RAM.
>> If I use any kind of effects on inkscape I can forget using inkscape for
>> the day because the speed is so slow it takes a day for any movement to
>> appear on the screen.
>> Again trying to export to bitmap is impossible.
>> If I don't use any effects then the speed is reasonable.
>> I like what Inkscape is intended to do but does anyone know of a similar
>> open source program that will work on Windows 7??
>>
>> Dennis

>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
I have never had such problems before on any program that I have used on the internet ???

Dennis

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you Chris
>
> I will check out the url.
>
> I have just completed a very complex image and have tried grouping several
> areas and applying filters to small areas as I go but, as soon as I apply a
> filter, Inkscape just grinds to a halt (alternating between open and not
> responding every second).
>
> I have used Gimp for several years and with my 8GB RAM I just fly through an
> image but Inkscape is a terrible disappointment :(
>
> Dennis

Really sad commentary that you blame Inkscape. The general experience
with Inkscape here and elsewhere is that it is outstanding. You might
want to look at the Windows ecosystem for why you are having problems.

As far as a recommendation...Adobe Illustrator. It is the premier svg
editor for the Windows environment. Absolutely the best thing for you
given your context.

Carl

> On 30 August 2012 22:22, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This URL may yield some results for you:
>> http://alternativeto.net/software/inkscape/?platform=windows
>>
>> Perhaps another option, though, would be to try out a nightly build of
>> inkscape for windows?
>>
>> I've also found that after I group complicated objects together, inkscape
>> speeds up quite a bit - maybe it's a workaround for you as well?
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>> On 2012-08-30, at 7:10 AM, Dennis Melling <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I have a recent laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit and 8GB of RAM.
>> If I use any kind of effects on inkscape I can forget using inkscape for
>> the day because the speed is so slow it takes a day for any movement to
>> appear on the screen.
>> Again trying to export to bitmap is impossible.
>> If I don't use any effects then the speed is reasonable.
>> I like what Inkscape is intended to do but does anyone know of a similar
>> open source program that will work on Windows 7??
>>
>> Dennis

>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Dennis Melling
I used Firefox on my computer until Chrome came along. The problem I had with Firefox is that, when scrolling, the page moved in jerks.

Dennis

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Netscape is a wonderful program.

Consider upgrading to Firefox. It has native SVG support. ;-)

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

Paul A. Bristow-2

Re: Alternative to Inkscape for Windows 7

alvinpenner
    running Inkscape development build 11604 on Windows XP, I can confirm that the response of Inkscape to this particular file is indeed very slow. However, the export bitmap (to png) command appears to be working reasonably well. Attached is the result I got at 600 dpi. This took about 10 seconds to generate the file.
    By comparison, the export bitmap on Inkscape 0.48.3.1 was so slow as to be unuseable.
    Would you be willing to try a recent development build, available at skydrive:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=09706d11303fa52a&id=9706D11303FA52A%21217

hth,
Alvin Penner
2ANIME-GIRL.png