Animated Rendering Is it Possible

James Fritzler

You might have seen some of those "explainer" videos on the internet that show people drawing on a white board to teach various topics.

I have charts and imagery I've already drawn in inkscape that I'd like to animate the strokes and make them into explainer videos.  I'm not worried about saving them to video format at this time; only interested in displaying them as animated drawn paths.

It seems like all the pieces are there.. the sequence of the paths, the direction of the paths.  Does anyone think it would be as "easy" be taking the rendering engine and putting a user defined delay in each path node draw call? Would display buffering have to be disabled?  Is that something that a plug in could do in inkscape?  or is rendering logic protected from plug ins?

or maybe someone else has done this already?

Side Note: I did run into similar functionality in an app called queekly, but their rendering is unpredictable. during editing some of my marks got put in a difference sequence.  sequence is important in this case.

Thanks

Re: Animated Rendering Is it Possible

Maren Hachmann
If javascript works for you, too, you could try some js library like this:
https://maxwellito.github.io/vivus/

(untested, just the result of a quick google search)

An Inkscape extension would be able to export to an image series, yes
(but it would be rather slow, and it would need to be built first, in
contrast to just using the js and making a screencast). Extensions can
modify the contents of the drawing, but not in a 'live' way: You click a
button, the extension works and modifies the SVG source code, then the
(static) result is shown.

Maren

Am 22.11.2017 um 00:53 schrieb James Fritzler:

> You might have seen some of those "explainer" videos on the internet
> that show people drawing on a white board to teach various topics.
>

> I have charts and imagery I've already drawn in inkscape that I'd like
> to animate the strokes and make them into explainer videos.  I'm not
> worried about saving them to video format at this time; only interested
> in displaying them as animated drawn paths.
>

> It seems like all the pieces are there.. the sequence of the paths, the
> direction of the paths.  Does anyone think it would be as "easy" be
> taking the rendering engine and putting a user defined delay in each
> path node draw call? Would display buffering have to be disabled?  Is
> that something that a plug in could do in inkscape?  or is rendering
> logic protected from plug ins?
>

> or maybe someone else has done this already?
>

> Side Note: I did run into similar functionality in an app called
> queekly, but their rendering is unpredictable. during editing some of my
> marks got put in a difference sequence.  sequence is important in this case.
>

> Thanks

Re: Animated Rendering Is it Possible

The best system I've used has been AniGen, it's developer is basing the
design on Inkscape as he develops it.

http://anigen.org/versions/0_8_1/

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Tue, 2017-11-21 at 23:53 +0000, James Fritzler wrote:

> You might have seen some of those "explainer" videos on the internet
> that show people drawing on a white board to teach various topics.
>
> I have charts and imagery I've already drawn in inkscape that I'd
> like to animate the strokes and make them into explainer videos.  I'm
> not worried about saving them to video format at this time; only
> interested in displaying them as animated drawn paths.
>
> It seems like all the pieces are there.. the sequence of the paths,
> the direction of the paths.  Does anyone think it would be as "easy"
> be taking the rendering engine and putting a user defined delay in
> each path node draw call? Would display buffering have to be
> disabled?  Is that something that a plug in could do in inkscape?  or
> is rendering logic protected from plug ins?
>
> or maybe someone else has done this already?
>
> Side Note: I did run into similar functionality in an app called
> queekly, but their rendering is unpredictable. during editing some of
> my marks got put in a difference sequence.  sequence is important in
> this case.
>
> Thanks

Re: Animated Rendering Is it Possible

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Martin,

Just to say, I couldent try with Firefox Quantum on Debian Buster
(empty page). Chromium go ok.

Regards, Jabier.

The best system I've used has been AniGen, it's developer is basing the
design on Inkscape as he develops it.

http://anigen.org/versions/0_8_1/

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Tue, 2017-11-21 at 23:53 +0000, James Fritzler wrote:

> You might have seen some of those "explainer" videos on the internet
> that show people drawing on a white board to teach various topics.
>
> I have charts and imagery I've already drawn in inkscape that I'd
> like to animate the strokes and make them into explainer videos.  I'm
> not worried about saving them to video format at this time; only
> interested in displaying them as animated drawn paths.
>
> It seems like all the pieces are there.. the sequence of the paths,
> the direction of the paths.  Does anyone think it would be as "easy"
> be taking the rendering engine and putting a user defined delay in
> each path node draw call? Would display buffering have to be
> disabled?  Is that something that a plug in could do in inkscape?  or
> is rendering logic protected from plug ins?
>
> or maybe someone else has done this already?
>
> Side Note: I did run into similar functionality in an app called
> queekly, but their rendering is unpredictable. during editing some of
> my marks got put in a difference sequence.  sequence is important in
> this case.
>
> Thanks

Re: Animated Rendering Is it Possible

Hi again.