Be careful with icons

C R
Right-Click > Image Properties
currently fails to bring up Object Attributes dialogue in trunk.

This is because of a missing icon dialog-object-attributes.svg

Just a reminder that mucking with the icons can break Inkscape functionality.

Thanks.

Re: Be careful with icons

C R
Edit: Not to say that mucking about with icons is bad, just that
counterintuitively, missing icons can keep things from displaying at
all (I didn't know this, so I'm sharing).
-C

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Right-Click > Image Properties
> currently fails to bring up Object Attributes dialogue in trunk.
>
> This is because of a missing icon dialog-object-attributes.svg
>
> Just a reminder that mucking with the icons can break Inkscape functionality.
>
> Thanks.
> -C

Re: Be careful with icons

C R
I've added a bug for it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1715138

su_v points to this underlying issue:

"it's clearly a "regression" (or unsolved or unfinished issue)
introduced with the switch to GTK+ icon theme only during the hack
fest
that dialog likely uses a custom routine to load the icon (that's
likely also the reason that icon can't be rethemed e.g. with a gtk
symbolic icon)
(none of the icons for dockable dialog can, IIRC - forgot about that detail)
either inkscape, or gdl"

So just adding the icon back only masks the issue. In this way, I
guess it was a good thing it broke, since the fix would mean future
breaks (probably) will not happen.
Thanks for the work!

-C

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 1:57 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Edit: Not to say that mucking about with icons is bad, just that
> counterintuitively, missing icons can keep things from displaying at
> all (I didn't know this, so I'm sharing).
> -C
>
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Right-Click > Image Properties
>> currently fails to bring up Object Attributes dialogue in trunk.
>>
>> This is because of a missing icon dialog-object-attributes.svg
>>
>> Just a reminder that mucking with the icons can break Inkscape functionality.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -C

Re: Be careful with icons

C R
I'd also like to add a thanks to Alex and Mc for the icons work. The
migration was bound to break all kinds of stuff, and both have done a
really stellar job working on the upgrade.
Tav has also just informed me that it's now fixed in trunk. That's
really awesome turnaround time! Thanks again Tav and everyone!

-C

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've added a bug for it:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1715138
>
> su_v points to this underlying issue:
>
> "it's clearly a "regression" (or unsolved or unfinished issue)
> introduced with the switch to GTK+ icon theme only during the hack
> fest
> that dialog likely uses a custom routine to load the icon (that's
> likely also the reason that icon can't be rethemed e.g. with a gtk
> symbolic icon)
> (none of the icons for dockable dialog can, IIRC - forgot about that detail)
> either inkscape, or gdl"
>
> So just adding the icon back only masks the issue. In this way, I
> guess it was a good thing it broke, since the fix would mean future
> breaks (probably) will not happen.
> Thanks for the work!
>
> -C
>

> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 1:57 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Edit: Not to say that mucking about with icons is bad, just that
>> counterintuitively, missing icons can keep things from displaying at
>> all (I didn't know this, so I'm sharing).
>> -C
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Right-Click > Image Properties
>>> currently fails to bring up Object Attributes dialogue in trunk.
>>>
>>> This is because of a missing icon dialog-object-attributes.svg
>>>
>>> Just a reminder that mucking with the icons can break Inkscape functionality.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> -C

Re: Be careful with icons

Bryce Harrington-3
On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 02:42:46PM +0100, C R wrote:
> I'd also like to add a thanks to Alex and Mc for the icons work. The
> migration was bound to break all kinds of stuff, and both have done a
> really stellar job working on the upgrade.
> Tav has also just informed me that it's now fixed in trunk. That's
> really awesome turnaround time! Thanks again Tav and everyone!

Good to hear!

Is there a mechanical way to test for icon breakage, that could be
hooked into 'make check'?

Bryce