Quantcast

Better DXF support

|| ΣΖΟ ||
Hello everyone.

I'm wondering why .dxf export isn't better supported

Inkscape is a great tool for drawing plans for lasercutters, but all
the companies who do the cutting ony accept .dxf

There are a few 'reasonable improvements' available like Better DXF,
Better Better DXF and BigBlueSawDXF
https://sites.google.com/site/scidiy/inkscape-dxf-output-for-lasercut

But none of them are good enough to deliver a cut file without hassle.
Most important are the support of layers (and the use of spaces in the
layer names) and SPLINE objects that aren't rendered right.

A good support for .dxf could draw Inkscape into the maker-world.
Makershed/Thingtverse/Instructables websites etc.

And I noticed that .dxf is NOT mentioned @
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/FileTypes
Is there any particulair reason for this?

What is needed to get .DXF up to par?

Re: Better DXF support

alvinpenner
could you submit a bug report at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/
and attach a sample of an svg file that you would like to convert?
(preferably a separate bug report for each issue)

Alvin Penner

Re: Better DXF support

su_v
On 13/06/2012 23:50, || ΣΖΟ ||   wrote:

> I'm wondering why .dxf export isn't better supported
>
> Inkscape is a great tool for drawing plans for lasercutters, but all
> the companies who do the cutting ony accept .dxf
>
> There are a few 'reasonable improvements' available like Better DXF,
> Better Better DXF and BigBlueSawDXF
> https://sites.google.com/site/scidiy/inkscape-dxf-output-for-lasercut
>
> But none of them are good enough to deliver a cut file without hassle.
> Most important are the support of layers (and the use of spaces in the
> layer names) and SPLINE objects that aren't rendered right.
>
> A good support for .dxf could draw Inkscape into the maker-world.
> Makershed/Thingtverse/Instructables websites etc.
>
> And I noticed that .dxf is NOT mentioned @
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/FileTypes
> Is there any particulair reason for this?
>
> What is needed to get .DXF up to par?

Did you actually try the DXF export extension
 'Desktop Cutting Plotter (AutoCAD DXF R14)(*.dxf)'
provided by current Inkscape versions (0.48.x)?

Saving a copy as 'Desktop Cutting Plotter' DXF has much improved and
includes most (if not all) enhancements from the frequently cited
external extensions (based on 'Better DXF'), and has some additional
features (many thanks to Alvin Penner!).

See also
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/35292/focus=35293>
(older thread, doesn't include the latest rounds of bug-fixes)

Note: I would _not_ recommend to install any of the (dated) variants of
the 'Better DXF' output extension as is: last time I checked they all
include an ancient version of a shared python module (which is
maintained and distributed with Inkscape). The original installation
instructions will result in overwriting (or overriding) the current
installed version of the module without notifying the user (potentially
breaking other extensions). The instructions of the site you mentioned
won't prevent breaking other extensions either: the renamed original
module 'simpletransform-original.py' won't be found by other extensions
which might depend on newer versins of that module and fail with the
replaced older and modified version.

See also
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/35292/focus=35295>

hth, ~suv

Re: Better DXF support

|| ΣΖΟ ||
I'll first figure out if it is a real bug or more a matter of patience
until it is added to the repository.

PS. It would be nice if this also would be added to "older" inkscape
versions as a update.
Things like this could really make a difference.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:09 AM, alvinpenner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> could you submit a bug report at:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/
> and attach a sample of an svg file that you would like to convert?
> (preferably a separate bug report for each issue)
>
> Alvin Penner

Re: Better DXF support

alvinpenner
you can at any time download the latest Inkscape version of this code from the website:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/trunk/files/head:/share/extensions/

You will need to download the following files:
- dxf_outlines.py
- dxf_outlines.inx
- dxf_templates.py
- simpletransform.py

these need to go into the directory \Inkscape\share\extensions\. And before you do this, you'll need to make backups of any of these files that you already have in this directory since the different versions that are available are not compatible with each other.

hth,
Alvin Penner

Re: Better DXF support

|| ΣΖΟ ||