Blur branch

Jabier Arraiza
Hi all. I want to know the status of the blur branch, I think it
introduce a great improvement but need to be tested well so the faster
is landed in trunk the better.

I don`t undertand his changes, also dont remember the branch location,
recently cleanup my mailbox..., I remember Tav made some comments to it
to be done.

Cheers, Jabier.

Re: Blur branch

Yale Zhang
Vlada, good to hear from you again. It's very unfortunate I didn't do
more to get my vectorized blur code merged especially when it was 99%
done. It was reviewed and the main complaint was it didn't compile for
i686. That could've been done easily, but there was another problem I
realized which was how to handle vector remainders without reading
past the end of an array, which could cause a crash (but with low
probability).

Let me wrap this up over the next few weeks if my schedule permits.

Jabier, are you talking about my branch
https://code.launchpad.net/~simdgenius/inkscape/inkscape

or another one. There was a proposal a long time ago about
approximating blur as 3 sequential box filters. You can still do that,
but you would still need a version with higher accuracy for the best
rendering mode.

-Yale

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Jabier Arraiza
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vlada.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Please could you upload the patches to gitlab to
> be sure the code not be lost? And maybe reviewed and applyed for a
> enought quelified dev.
>
> All the best, Jabier.
>

> On Mon, 2017-09-18 at 20:50 +0200, Vladimir Savic wrote:
>> Hi Jabier!
>>
>> Unfortunately, those patches got lost along the way. I still have
>> them somewhere on my computer, but I doubt it will apply to trunk
>> cleanly.
>>
>> Shame that no one from the core team gave it a chance. It was a major
>> improvement. I know that Yale (that is the name of developer, if I
>> recall correctly) continued working on even faster rendering -
>> something about multithreaded redrawing of canvas. On my intel i7
>> 6700 it was enormous improvement. I doubt that it will do anything
>> for people with one or two processor cores, though.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vlada
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@mark
>> er.es> wrote:
>> > Hi all. I want to know the status of the blur branch, I think it
>> > introduce a great improvement but need to be tested well so the
>> > faster
>> > is landed in trunk the better.
>> >
>> > I don`t undertand his changes, also dont remember the branch
>> > location,
>> > recently cleanup my mailbox..., I remember Tav made some comments
>> > to it
>> > to be done.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Jabier.

Re: Blur branch

Jabier Arraiza
Yes Yale,

As far I recall Tav send the last mail abut his merge with some
interesting comments and the thread dead at this point. I realy want a
gaussian blur improved in inkscape so i try to resurrect.

Cheers, Jabier.