Boston hackfest stickers

C R
These are modeled after the Paris engraved ones I did last year.
This time however, I thought the venue was a better thing to put on
the sticker rather than a local tourist attraction, which in this
case, no one might actually see.

So here it is, the Boston Hackfest sticker sample:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/trkgrniaf4g33iz/inkscape_foil_sticker_boston_hackfest_sample.png?dl=1

Any thoughts?
Wish it were a famous landmark instead?

Lemme know.

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Jabier Arraiza
Cool work, Thanks CR.

On Sun, 2018-02-18 at 22:33 +0000, C R wrote:

> These are modeled after the Paris engraved ones I did last year.
> This time however, I thought the venue was a better thing to put on
> the sticker rather than a local tourist attraction, which in this
> case, no one might actually see.
>
> So here it is, the Boston Hackfest sticker sample:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/trkgrniaf4g33iz/inkscape_foil_sticker_bosto
> n_hackfest_sample.png?dl=1
>
> Any thoughts?
> Wish it were a famous landmark instead?
>
> Lemme know.
> -C

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Victor Westmann
Even though I wouldn't be able to build such a beautiful sticker I
would just remove the effect of shadown from the sticker. But, IMHO,
besides this, the sticker is beautiful.

Good job CR!

--Victor Westmann

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Jabier Arraiza
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool work, Thanks CR.
>
> On Sun, 2018-02-18 at 22:33 +0000, C R wrote:
>> These are modeled after the Paris engraved ones I did last year.
>> This time however, I thought the venue was a better thing to put on
>> the sticker rather than a local tourist attraction, which in this
>> case, no one might actually see.
>>
>> So here it is, the Boston Hackfest sticker sample:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/trkgrniaf4g33iz/inkscape_foil_sticker_bosto
>> n_hackfest_sample.png?dl=1
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>> Wish it were a famous landmark instead?
>>
>> Lemme know.
>> -C

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

C R
The silver and  "shadow" effect is just showing it's a foil sticker.
I probably should 3d Render a sample for a better effect, but I'm a
bit out of time on this one. :)
Want to make sure people attending the Boston Hackfest get to enjoy
them at the venue.

It will be plain black ink on silver (reflective) foil.

-C

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Victor Westmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Even though I wouldn't be able to build such a beautiful sticker I
> would just remove the effect of shadown from the sticker. But, IMHO,
> besides this, the sticker is beautiful.
>
> Good job CR!
>

> --Victor Westmann
>

> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Jabier Arraiza
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Cool work, Thanks CR.
>>
>> On Sun, 2018-02-18 at 22:33 +0000, C R wrote:
>>> These are modeled after the Paris engraved ones I did last year.
>>> This time however, I thought the venue was a better thing to put on
>>> the sticker rather than a local tourist attraction, which in this
>>> case, no one might actually see.
>>>
>>> So here it is, the Boston Hackfest sticker sample:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/trkgrniaf4g33iz/inkscape_foil_sticker_bosto
>>> n_hackfest_sample.png?dl=1
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>> Wish it were a famous landmark instead?
>>>
>>> Lemme know.
>>> -C

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Máirín Duffy
Hey CR,

On 02/18/2018 05:33 PM, C R wrote:

> These are modeled after the Paris engraved ones I did last year.
> This time however, I thought the venue was a better thing to put on
> the sticker rather than a local tourist attraction, which in this
> case, no one might actually see.
>
> So here it is, the Boston Hackfest sticker sample:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/trkgrniaf4g33iz/inkscape_foil_sticker_boston_hackfest_sample.png?dl=1
>
> Any thoughts?
> Wish it were a famous landmark instead?
This looks good, one nitpicky thing is there's a space between "Red" and
"Hat" (our logo is wrong, I know lol :))

The building our office is in used to be part of the New England
Confectionary COmpany (NECCO) - famous for inventing the Conversation
Hearts Valentine's candies. I do have an SVG (in a different style)
showing the full building, but it's really not a tourist attraction or
super historically relevant (unless you like candy lol.) It's also in
the area where the movie The Departed was filmed (if you've seen the
movie you'll recognize it) in one of the ending scenes - um, not a very
positive scene, though o_O

However we do have a local landmark right nearby! The Boston Tea Party
Ships are right by the office, and if attendees are walking over from
South Station (highly likely) then you'll see it every day even if you
don't visit because you have to cross the bridge across Fort Point
Channel in full view of it.

https://www.bostonteapartyship.com/

We kind of consider that the local landmark near our office; on the
engineering side of the building our conference rooms are named after
types of tea ;-) The main meeting space is named matcha!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
~m

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

That's really good! Thanks CR.

On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 07:57 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> The building our office is in used to be part of the New England
> Confectionary COmpany (NECCO) - famous for inventing the Conversation
> Hearts Valentine's candies. I do have an SVG (in a different style)
> showing the full building, but it's really not a tourist attraction
> or
> super historically relevant (unless you like candy lol.) It's also in
> the area where the movie The Departed was filmed (if you've seen the
> movie you'll recognize it) in one of the ending scenes - um, not a
> very
> positive scene, though o_O

It's also near where some of the scenes from Surrogates was filmed with
Bruce Willis. Over near luckies.

> However we do have a local landmark right nearby! The Boston Tea
> Party
> Ships are right by the office, and if attendees are walking over from
> South Station (highly likely) then you'll see it every day even if
> you
> don't visit because you have to cross the bridge across Fort Point
> Channel in full view of it.
>
> https://www.bostonteapartyship.com/

See, If I were investing Boston's image overall, I'd have tried to get
castle island iconified https://media.timeout.com/images/101593617/imag
e.jpg as it's got nice regular shapes. Or maybe the more historically
significant Dorchester heights http://bit.ly/2sF0HX9 But how often do
you go for a stroll down L St. away from downtown ;-)

> We kind of consider that the local landmark near our office; on the
> engineering side of the building our conference rooms are named after
> types of tea ;-) The main meeting space is named matcha!

American Pirated or British East India tea? :-P

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

C R
So... out of all the options, what would people like on the sticker?
Pick ONE thing please.
Or is the graphic I've made sufficient? (I'll get rid of the space in
RedHat as requested).

-C

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:54 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 07:57 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> The building our office is in used to be part of the New England
>> Confectionary COmpany (NECCO) - famous for inventing the Conversation
>> Hearts Valentine's candies. I do have an SVG (in a different style)
>> showing the full building, but it's really not a tourist attraction
>> or
>> super historically relevant (unless you like candy lol.) It's also in
>> the area where the movie The Departed was filmed (if you've seen the
>> movie you'll recognize it) in one of the ending scenes - um, not a
>> very
>> positive scene, though o_O
>
> It's also near where some of the scenes from Surrogates was filmed with
> Bruce Willis. Over near luckies.
>
>> However we do have a local landmark right nearby! The Boston Tea
>> Party
>> Ships are right by the office, and if attendees are walking over from
>> South Station (highly likely) then you'll see it every day even if
>> you
>> don't visit because you have to cross the bridge across Fort Point
>> Channel in full view of it.
>>
>> https://www.bostonteapartyship.com/
>
> See, If I were investing Boston's image overall, I'd have tried to get
> castle island iconified https://media.timeout.com/images/101593617/imag
> e.jpg as it's got nice regular shapes. Or maybe the more historically
> significant Dorchester heights http://bit.ly/2sF0HX9 But how often do
> you go for a stroll down L St. away from downtown ;-)
>
>> We kind of consider that the local landmark near our office; on the
>> engineering side of the building our conference rooms are named after
>> types of tea ;-) The main meeting space is named matcha!
>
> American Pirated or British East India tea? :-P

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Máirín Duffy
As someone who works in the building :) I would suggest not going with the design of the front of the building. It's a newer addition on an old building, and isn't really recognizable or significant (if that makes sense.)

~m

On 02/20/2018 05:49 AM, C R wrote:
> So... out of all the options, what would people like on the sticker?
> Pick ONE thing please.
> Or is the graphic I've made sufficient? (I'll get rid of the space in
> RedHat as requested).

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

C R
Will people recognise it? More specifically, the people attending the
hackfest? It's the picture that comes up when you search for "Redhat
Boston".
Moreover, it's the only part of the building which seems to echo the
interior styling.

-C

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Máirín Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As someone who works in the building :) I would suggest not going with the
> design of the front of the building. It's a newer addition on an old
> building, and isn't really recognizable or significant (if that makes
> sense.)
>
> ~m
>

> On 02/20/2018 05:49 AM, C R wrote:
>>
>> So... out of all the options, what would people like on the sticker?
>> Pick ONE thing please.
>> Or is the graphic I've made sufficient? (I'll get rid of the space in
>> RedHat as requested).

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

C R
Also also, if you think another angle would be better, please send me a picture.
Thanks.
-C

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will people recognise it? More specifically, the people attending the
> hackfest? It's the picture that comes up when you search for "Redhat
> Boston".
> Moreover, it's the only part of the building which seems to echo the
> interior styling.
>
> -C
>
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Máirín Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As someone who works in the building :) I would suggest not going with the
>> design of the front of the building. It's a newer addition on an old
>> building, and isn't really recognizable or significant (if that makes
>> sense.)
>>
>> ~m
>>

>> On 02/20/2018 05:49 AM, C R wrote:
>>>
>>> So... out of all the options, what would people like on the sticker?
>>> Pick ONE thing please.
>>> Or is the graphic I've made sufficient? (I'll get rid of the space in
>>> RedHat as requested).

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Tavmjong Bah
On Tue, 2018-02-20 at 10:49 +0000, C R wrote:
> So... out of all the options, what would people like on the sticker?
> Pick ONE thing please.
> Or is the graphic I've made sufficient? (I'll get rid of the space in
> RedHat as requested).
>
> -C

C,

The Boston Tea Party is one of the defining moments of the American
Revolution and is the thing that pops up when thinking about Boston
(that and Paul Revere's midnight ride). Also, shipping was the "raison
d'être" for Boston's existence. I would vote for one of the ships...
but it's not so important that it should keep you up at night or away
from your day job!

Thanks for making the stickers!

Tav

On 02/20/2018 09:00 AM, C R wrote:
> Will people recognise it? More specifically, the people attending the
> hackfest? It's the picture that comes up when you search for "Redhat
> Boston".

I don't think so - the thing about it is that you walk under that front
design, and you wouldn't really notice it unless you were walking from a
direction most people don't walk from (the main street in the area with
walking traffic is summer street) You can't really view the whole thing
unless you've stepped back aways in a direction you wouldn't go.

The building's side is more noticeable than the front because of its
position relative to the main street (the building's front isn't on A
street, for example, it's on a small side road called Necco St.) And the
building itself is basically a nondescript brick building.

~m

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

doctormo
CR,

I've been there, I think I know what Máirín is saying.

Imagine a spiral where major road gives way to minor road, then to
minor road, then to parking lot. That's when you see the front of the
building (after the world stops spinning of course)

Although I fear we're putting too much pressure on you, your design was
really nice tbh. It doesn't have to scream boston if it doesn't want
to.

Martin,

On Tue, 2018-02-20 at 10:26 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 02/20/2018 09:00 AM, C R wrote:
> >
> > Will people recognise it? More specifically, the people attending
> > the
> > hackfest? It's the picture that comes up when you search for
> > "Redhat
> > Boston".
> I don't think so - the thing about it is that you walk under that
> front
> design, and you wouldn't really notice it unless you were walking
> from a
> direction most people don't walk from (the main street in the area
> with
> walking traffic is summer street) You can't really view the whole
> thing
> unless you've stepped back aways in a direction you wouldn't go.
>
> The building's side is more noticeable than the front because of its
> position relative to the main street (the building's front isn't on
> street, for example, it's on a small side road called Necco St.) And
> the
> building itself is basically a nondescript brick building.
>
> ~m

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

C R
I've heard three mentions in support of Boston Tea Party ships. I'll do a variation with that and then we can maybe take a vote on which version works better.

I'm not married to either idea. Just want folks to be happy with the results. :)

More soon.

-C

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Máirín Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/20/2018 10:48 AM, Martin Owens wrote:
>>
>> Although I fear we're putting too much pressure on you, your design was
>> really nice tbh. It doesn't have to scream boston if it doesn't want
>> to.
>
> Totally, sorry, didn't mean to exert pressure at all. Just that the building
> is in a bit odd of a place so you know the lay of the land. Honestly design
> looks good enough that it doesn't really matter I think if ppl recognize it
> or not.
>
> ~m

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Alex Valavanis-3
I'd suggest a Super Mutant from Fallout 4, as that's about the extent of my Boston knowledge ;)

Great work on the stickers though!

AV

On 20 February 2018 at 15:48, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:
CR,

I've been there, I think I know what Máirín is saying.

Imagine a spiral where major road gives way to minor road, then to
minor road, then to parking lot. That's when you see the front of the
building (after the world stops spinning of course)

Although I fear we're putting too much pressure on you, your design was
really nice tbh. It doesn't have to scream boston if it doesn't want
to.

Martin,

On Tue, 2018-02-20 at 10:26 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 02/20/2018 09:00 AM, C R wrote:
> >
> > Will people recognise it? More specifically, the people attending
> > the
> > hackfest? It's the picture that comes up when you search for
> > "Redhat
> > Boston".
> I don't think so - the thing about it is that you walk under that
> front
> design, and you wouldn't really notice it unless you were walking
> from a
> direction most people don't walk from (the main street in the area
> with
> walking traffic is summer street) You can't really view the whole
> thing
> unless you've stepped back aways in a direction you wouldn't go.
>
> The building's side is more noticeable than the front because of its
> position relative to the main street (the building's front isn't on
> street, for example, it's on a small side road called Necco St.) And
> the
> building itself is basically a nondescript brick building.
>
> ~m

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Maren Hachmann
I like the design, too, but the licence is still wrong. Would you fix
it, please, Chris? The logo is CC-By-SA, and any derivatives will be, too.

Maren

Am 21.02.2018 um 19:06 schrieb Alex Valavanis:

> I'd suggest a Super Mutant from Fallout 4, as that's about the extent of
> my Boston knowledge ;)
>
> https://bmacsmith.deviantart.com/art/Super-Mutant-Sketch-572852581
>
> Great work on the stickers though!
>
> AV
>
> On 20 February 2018 at 15:48, Martin Owens <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     CR,
>
>     I've been there, I think I know what Máirín is saying.
>
>     Imagine a spiral where major road gives way to minor road, then to
>     minor road, then to parking lot. That's when you see the front of the
>     building (after the world stops spinning of course)
>
>     Although I fear we're putting too much pressure on you, your design was
>     really nice tbh. It doesn't have to scream boston if it doesn't want
>     to.
>
>     Martin,
>
>     On Tue, 2018-02-20 at 10:26 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>     >
>     > On 02/20/2018 09:00 AM, C R wrote:
>     > >
>     > > Will people recognise it? More specifically, the people attending
>     > > the
>     > > hackfest? It's the picture that comes up when you search for
>     > > "Redhat
>     > > Boston".
>     > I don't think so - the thing about it is that you walk under that
>     > front
>     > design, and you wouldn't really notice it unless you were walking
>     > from a
>     > direction most people don't walk from (the main street in the area
>     > with
>     > walking traffic is summer street) You can't really view the whole
>     > thing
>     > unless you've stepped back aways in a direction you wouldn't go.
>     >
>     > The building's side is more noticeable than the front because of its
>     > position relative to the main street (the building's front isn't on
>     > A
>     > street, for example, it's on a small side road called Necco St.) And
>     > the
>     > building itself is basically a nondescript brick building.
>     >
>     > ~m

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Victor Westmann
Amazing job CR!

Thank you for your time and efforts on the stickers. They look really nice.

On Feb 27, 2018 9:28 PM, "C R" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard three mentions in support of Boston Tea Party ships. I'll do a variation with that and then we can maybe take a vote on which version works better.

I'm not married to either idea. Just want folks to be happy with the results. :)

More soon.

-C

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Máirín Duffy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/20/2018 10:48 AM, Martin Owens wrote:
>>
>> Although I fear we're putting too much pressure on you, your design was
>> really nice tbh. It doesn't have to scream boston if it doesn't want
>> to.
>
> Totally, sorry, didn't mean to exert pressure at all. Just that the building
> is in a bit odd of a place so you know the lay of the land. Honestly design
> looks good enough that it doesn't really matter I think if ppl recognize it
> or not.
>
> ~m

Re: Boston hackfest stickers

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
+1 to all the positive comments made thus far. Great work!

Ryan