Branch for high DPI monitors needs testing.

Branch for high DPI monitors needs testing.

Tavmjong Bah

Hi,

If you've got a high DPI screen, please test the High DPI canvas
branch:

        https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/tree/hidpi_canvas
        https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/137

There are a couple of minor problems that I know about (see merge
request). If no other ones are found, I'll merge the branch in the next
week.

Thanks,

Tav

Re: Branch for high DPI monitors needs testing.

Patrick Storz
Am 30.11.2017 um 14:24 schrieb Tavmjong Bah:
Hi,

If you've got a high DPI screen, please test the High DPI canvas
branch:

	https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/tree/hidpi_canvas
	https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/137

There are a couple of minor problems that I know about (see merge
request). If no other ones are found, I'll merge the branch in the next
week.

Thanks,

Tav

Hi Tav,

I finally got around to do some testing on Windows 10. I'm attaching two screenshots with display scaling set to 100% and 150% respectively.

Some observations in no particular order:

  • Canvas is drawn properly, perfect!
  • Canvas controls use the native resolution (they did not use to) but do not seem to be scaled (i.e. are the same size regardless of DPI scaling factor, see for example scale arrows in screenshots)
  • Icons do not seem to be scaled at all. Is this different on Linux?
    I remember this being different on Windows (see an earlier screenshot [1]). Any idea what might be causing this?
  • Mouse cursors do not scale (I think you noted that somewhere already). Might be an issue for very high DPI screens at some point...
  • Per-monitor DPI scaling does not work at all (but that was probably to be expected). I doubt gtk+ provides any support for that - at least not even the gtk3 demo does anything useful here...

Let me know if there is anything that might need some additional testing (unfortunately my default display setup uses 100% scaling so I can not do "fly-by-testing") or if I can provide any additional information.

Best Regards and thanks for the great work on this so far,
Eduard

Zwischenablage01.png (123K) Download Attachment
Zwischenablage02.png (113K) Download Attachment

Am 06.12.2017 um 01:59 schrieb Eduard Braun:
[...]

OK, slight correction: I just retested with 200% DPI scaling again (see attached):
  • Icons *do* scale, however they seem to be increasing size in "discrete steps"? At 100%/150% scaling their size was identical, at 200% scaling they are much larger. Is there somewhere an integer factor involved (i.e. 1.5 being rounded to 1?).
  • Control points behave similarly (unfortunately I did not capture one in the screenshot this time).
  • The control points of Beziér/pen tools seem seriously broken (see screnshot). They appear in funny sizes at funny positions and there are a lot of redraw issues.

Zwischenablage03.png (191K) Download Attachment

On Wed, 2017-12-06 at 02:14 +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:

Am 06.12.2017 um 01:59 schrieb Eduard Braun:
Am 30.11.2017 um 14:24 schrieb Tavmjong Bah:
Hi,

If you've got a high DPI screen, please test the High DPI canvas
branch:

	https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/tree/hidpi_canvas
	https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/137

There are a couple of minor problems that I know about (see merge
request). If no other ones are found, I'll merge the branch in the next
week.

Thanks,

Tav

Hi Tav,

I finally got around to do some testing on Windows 10. I'm attaching two screenshots with display scaling set to 100% and 150% respectively.

Some observations in no particular order:

  • Canvas is drawn properly, perfect!

Excellent!

  • Canvas controls use the native resolution (they did not use to) but do not seem to be scaled (i.e. are the same size regardless of DPI scaling factor, see for example scale arrows in screenshots)

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The arrows should have twice the number of pixels in both directions on a high DPI screen. They will be slightly blocky as the arrows are defined by bitmaps (the circles/squares/diamonds are programically generated so they are not blocky).

  • Icons do not seem to be scaled at all. Is this different on Linux?

See below.

  • I remember this being different on Windows (see an earlier screenshot [1]). Any idea what might be causing this?
  • Mouse cursors do not scale (I think you noted that somewhere already). Might be an issue for very high DPI screens at some point...

Yes, that's a problem I don't see how to fix.

  • Per-monitor DPI scaling does not work at all (but that was probably to be expected). I doubt gtk+ provides any support for that - at least not even the gtk3 demo does anything useful here...

Per monitor scaling works with Wayland but not X11 (at least with the simulated test monitor setup).

Let me know if there is anything that might need some additional testing (unfortunately my default display setup uses 100% scaling so I can not do "fly-by-testing") or if I can provide any additional information.

Best Regards and thanks for the great work on this so far,
Eduard

OK, slight correction: I just retested with 200% DPI scaling again (see attached):
  • Icons *do* scale, however they seem to be increasing size in "discrete steps"? At 100%/150% scaling their size was identical, at 200% scaling they are much larger. Is there somewhere an integer factor involved (i.e. 1.5 being rounded to 1?).

GTK on X11 only does discrete steps. GTK under Wayland has experimental non-integer scaling which I believe works by integer scaling up by a scale factor greater than needed and then scaling down to the desired resolution.

  • Control points behave similarly (unfortunately I did not capture one in the screenshot this time).
  • The control points of Beziér/pen tools seem seriously broken (see screnshot). They appear in funny sizes at funny positions and there are a lot of redraw issues.

This is similar to what I saw with Guide handles. I'm not sure how to fix this... We suffer from multiple ways of doing the same thing. The handles should just be the same canvas items as, for example, that the node tool uses... but they are not.