Quantcast

Buried shovel warning

Steve Litt
Hi all,

If you're working with Object Properties you might be tempted to check
"Lock" so the object can't receive focus on a web page. Makes perfect
sense.

But be aware that it also prevents the object from receiving focus in
Inkscape itself, so there's no way to unlock it short of going into the
XML itself and deleting the line that locks it. I did it with Gvim, you
might be able to do it with Inkscape's XML view: I didn't try.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist

Re: Buried shovel warning

Maren Hachmann
Am 01.05.2017 um 07:31 schrieb Steve Litt:

> Hi all,
>
> If you're working with Object Properties you might be tempted to check
> "Lock" so the object can't receive focus on a web page. Makes perfect
> sense.
>
> But be aware that it also prevents the object from receiving focus in
> Inkscape itself, so there's no way to unlock it short of going into the
> XML itself and deleting the line that locks it. I did it with Gvim, you
> might be able to do it with Inkscape's XML view: I didn't try.

- We've got the object dialog since Inkscape 0.92, which allows you to
lock and unlock objects individually.

There is also the 'unlock all' option in the menu.

Or you could use the search form, maybe. Not tested for this.

Kind Regards,
 Maren

> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> April 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
>      of the Successful Technologist
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques

Re: Buried shovel warning

Diederik van Lierop
Hi Steve,

You can use the objects dialog for unlocking (first item in the objects menu). Just search for the object that has a closed lock icon.

Best regards,

Diederik

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

If you're working with Object Properties you might be tempted to check
"Lock" so the object can't receive focus on a web page. Makes perfect
sense.

But be aware that it also prevents the object from receiving focus in
Inkscape itself, so there's no way to unlock it short of going into the
XML itself and deleting the line that locks it. I did it with Gvim, you
might be able to do it with Inkscape's XML view: I didn't try.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist

Re: Buried shovel warning

noreply
On 2017-05-01 00:31, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If you're working with Object Properties you might be tempted to check
> "Lock" so the object can't receive focus on a web page. Makes perfect
> sense.

I like the buried shovel metaphor..

Like someone is digging their own grave, and buries the shovel instead
of themselves