Quantcast

Can't ungroup Conditional Group

Antonio Roberts-2
Hi,

I'm attempting to ungroup this object
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Two-stroke_engine_moving_parts_%28Montagu%2C_Cars_and_Motor-Cycles%2C_1928%29.svg

When I try to do so in Inkscape it identifies the object as having a
Conditional Group of 1 Object but then says there are No Groups in the
selection when I try to ungroup it.

Is this a problem with the file or Inkscape?

I'm using Inkscape 0.48+devel+13132+47~ubuntu13.10.1

Antonio

--
============================
[hidden email]

Re: Can't ungroup Conditional Group

alvinpenner
on Windows XP, Inkscape rev 13123, I am not able to load this file, I get the attached error messages. (This may be related to the fact that this computer is not connected to the internet, not sure, in any event the file has some unique characteristics.)

** (inkscape.exe:3244): WARNING **: unknown type: ns4:variableSets

** (inkscape.exe:3244): WARNING **: unknown type: ns5:sfw

** (inkscape.exe:3244): WARNING **: unknown type: svg:foreignObject

** (inkscape.exe:3244): WARNING **: unknown type: ns3:pgf

Alvin Penner

Re: Can't ungroup Conditional Group

su_v
On 2014-03-11 15:12 +0100, Antonio Roberts wrote:
> I'm attempting to ungroup this object
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Two-stroke_engine_moving_parts_%28Montagu%2C_Cars_and_Motor-Cycles%2C_1928%29.svg
>
> When I try to do so in Inkscape it identifies the object as having a
> Conditional Group of 1 Object but then says there are No Groups in the
> selection when I try to ungroup it.
>
> Is this a problem with the file or Inkscape?

Neither - Inkscape trunk does curently not support ungrouping the
conditional group itself (IIRC it was a recent design decision, but I'd
have to search for details - might have been mentioned in a bug report
comment, commit message or on the devel mailing list, I don't recall,
and I could be wrong about the details, too ;-) )

> I'm using Inkscape 0.48+devel+13132+47~ubuntu13.10.1

How to edit the displayed content of the conditional group none-the-less:

1) open the file in current trunk
2) add a new layer (for later use)
3) enter the conditional group like a regular group
   (double-click it, or use <Ctrl+Enter>)
4) select all (Ctrl+A) and duplicate it (Ctrl+D)
5) move the current selection to the new layer
   (use context menu entry 'Move to layer ...')
6) hide the new layer, and delete the original conditional group
7) optionally: open the XML Editor and delete the node
    <ns3:pgf id="adobe_illustrator_pgf">
   (proprietary AI data, not used by Inkscape)
8) show the new layer, ungroup as needed
9) save as under a new file name.

Sample file attached (edited with r13135 on OS X 10.7.5).

hth, V

Two-stroke_engine_moving_parts-ungrouped-2.svg (38K) Download Attachment

On 2014-03-11 17:07 +0100, su_v wrote:

> On 2014-03-11 15:12 +0100, Antonio Roberts wrote:
>> I'm attempting to ungroup this object
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Two-stroke_engine_moving_parts_%28Montagu%2C_Cars_and_Motor-Cycles%2C_1928%29.svg
>>
>> When I try to do so in Inkscape it identifies the object as having a
>> Conditional Group of 1 Object but then says there are No Groups in the
>> selection when I try to ungroup it.
>>
>> Is this a problem with the file or Inkscape?
>
> Neither - Inkscape trunk does curently not support ungrouping the
> conditional group itself (IIRC it was a recent design decision, but I'd
> have to search for details - might have been mentioned in a bug report
> comment, commit message or on the devel mailing list, I don't recall,
> and I could be wrong about the details, too ;-) )

Here's the related message I vaguley recalled:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/42769>

(SVG element <switch> is a 'Conditional group')

>> I'm using Inkscape 0.48+devel+13132+47~ubuntu13.10.1
>
> How to edit the displayed content of the conditional group none-the-less:
>
> 1) open the file in current trunk
> 2) add a new layer (for later use)
> 3) enter the conditional group like a regular group
>    (double-click it, or use <Ctrl+Enter>)
> 4) select all (Ctrl+A) and duplicate it (Ctrl+D)
> 5) move the current selection to the new layer
>    (use context menu entry 'Move to layer ...')
> 6) hide the new layer, and delete the original conditional group
> 7) optionally: open the XML Editor and delete the node
>     <ns3:pgf id="adobe_illustrator_pgf">
>    (proprietary AI data, not used by Inkscape)
> 8) show the new layer, ungroup as needed
> 9) save as under a new file name.

Re: Can't ungroup Conditional Group

Plácido Luna
Me sucede lo mismo, no logro abrir el archivo.

Plácido Luna

On 2014-03-11 18:18 +0100, Plácido Luna wrote:
> Me sucede lo mismo, no logro abrir el archivo.

Google translate:
> Same thing happens to me, I can not open the file.

You neither tell which OS/platform you use, nor which Inskcape version,
so my reply is just a guess (usually, if this information is omitted, it
is safe to assume current stable Inskcape 0.48.4 on Windows ;-) ).

The file in question cannot be opened in current stable Inkscape 0.48.4
 - a known issue which will be fixed in the next bug-fix release (0.48.5):

- Bug #166371 “Illustrator CS SVG won't load: namespace URIs in entities”
  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/166371>

Cheers, V

On 2014-03-11 15:12 +0100, Antonio Roberts wrote:

> I'm attempting to ungroup this object
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Two-stroke_engine_moving_parts_%28Montagu%2C_Cars_and_Motor-Cycles%2C_1928%29.svg
>
> When I try to do so in Inkscape it identifies the object as having a
> Conditional Group of 1 Object but then says there are No Groups in the
> selection when I try to ungroup it.
>
> Is this a problem with the file or Inkscape?
>
> I'm using Inkscape 0.48+devel+13132+47~ubuntu13.10.1
Another way to quickly get a 'plain' SVG version: in the terminal,
use rsvg-convert (from librsvg):

 rsvg-convert Two-stroke_engine_moving_parts_\(Montagu\,_Cars_and_Motor-Cycles\,_1928\).svg -f svg > sample.svg

Sample file attached (created with rsvg-convert from librsvg 2.40.1)

Regards, V

sample.svg (48K) Download Attachment

Re: Can't ungroup Conditional Group

Antonio Roberts-2
> Neither - Inkscape trunk does curently not support ungrouping the
> conditional group itself (IIRC it was a recent design decision, but I'd
> have to search for details - might have been mentioned in a bug report
> comment, commit message or on the devel mailing list, I don't recall,
> and I could be wrong about the details, too ;-) )
If it's a design decision can the user be notified somehow (in the
status bar) that the group can't be ungrouped?

Antonio

On 11 March 2014 16:07, su_v <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2014-03-11 15:12 +0100, Antonio Roberts wrote:
>> I'm attempting to ungroup this object
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Two-stroke_engine_moving_parts_%28Montagu%2C_Cars_and_Motor-Cycles%2C_1928%29.svg
>>
>> When I try to do so in Inkscape it identifies the object as having a
>> Conditional Group of 1 Object but then says there are No Groups in the
>> selection when I try to ungroup it.
>>
>> Is this a problem with the file or Inkscape?
>
> Neither - Inkscape trunk does curently not support ungrouping the
> conditional group itself (IIRC it was a recent design decision, but I'd
> have to search for details - might have been mentioned in a bug report
> comment, commit message or on the devel mailing list, I don't recall,
> and I could be wrong about the details, too ;-) )
>
>> I'm using Inkscape 0.48+devel+13132+47~ubuntu13.10.1
>
> How to edit the displayed content of the conditional group none-the-less:
>
> 1) open the file in current trunk
> 2) add a new layer (for later use)
> 3) enter the conditional group like a regular group
>    (double-click it, or use <Ctrl+Enter>)
> 4) select all (Ctrl+A) and duplicate it (Ctrl+D)
> 5) move the current selection to the new layer
>    (use context menu entry 'Move to layer ...')
> 6) hide the new layer, and delete the original conditional group
> 7) optionally: open the XML Editor and delete the node
>     <ns3:pgf id="adobe_illustrator_pgf">
>    (proprietary AI data, not used by Inkscape)
> 8) show the new layer, ungroup as needed
> 9) save as under a new file name.
>

> Sample file attached (edited with r13135 on OS X 10.7.5).
>

> hth, V

============================
[hidden email]
http://www.hellocatfood.com
============================

On 2014-03-12 24:19 +0100, Antonio Roberts wrote:
> On 2014-03-11 17:07 +0100, su_v wrote:
>> Neither - Inkscape trunk does curently not support ungrouping the
>> conditional group itself (IIRC it was a recent design decision, but I'd
>> have to search for details - might have been mentioned in a bug report
>> comment, commit message or on the devel mailing list, I don't recall,
>> and I could be wrong about the details, too ;-) )
>
> If it's a design decision can the user be notified somehow (in the
> status bar) that the group can't be ungrouped?

Ungrouping of conditional groups (aka <switch> elements) has been
re-enabled in revision 13136 (the next PPA update tomorrow will likely
include this change already).

For further details, see the brief discussion in the related thread on
the 'inkscape-devel' mailing list:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/42769>

Regards, V