Compiling on Windows 7 x64

Arshdeep Singh
Hello,
Unfortunately, there is some problem with the build file or something
wrong with the inkscape.exe.
I have tried compiling on another machine on Windows 7 x64 only to
face the same problem.

The problem is:
the build process completes successfully without errors but the
inkscape.exe runs for a few seconds (seen in the task manager) and
then quits. No windows opening, no send error report messages. Just a
'inkscape.exe' process in the task manager.

Compiled by following the below page word to word:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_Inkscape_on_Windows

Compiler: TDM-GCC 4.7.1 Mingw32 bit edition and not the experimental
32 cum 64 bit one.

I am new to development and can't seem to debug the .exe properly
using gdb.exe. Please, can someone look into this.

--
Arshdeep Singh

Re: Compiling on Windows 7 x64

Rob Antonishen
Maybe a completely offbase question.

What is your screen colour depth?  My notebook recently got changed to 16 bit colour and (a previously working) inkscape started acting exactly as you described. After switching back to true colour it worked again.

-RobA>

-----
"Quae dissolvi non possunt."

Re: Compiling on Windows 7 x64

Arshdeep Singh
The color-depth is 32 bit, true color only.

--
Arshdeep Singh
Third Year, Computer Engineering
Delhi Technological University
Ph: +91-9654115614

Re: Compiling on Windows 7 x64

Nicolas Dufour-5

> De : Arshdeep Singh <[hidden email]>
> Compiler: TDM-GCC 4.7.1 Mingw32 bit edition and not the experimental
> 32 cum 64 bit one.

I've had almost the same problem with TDM-GCC 4.7.1 on XP (but on XP, Inkscape crashed with an error message).
Reverting to TDM-GCC 4.6.1 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdm-gcc/files/TDM-GCC%204.6%20series/) solved the issue for me.

Nicolas

Re: Compiling on Windows 7 x64

mathog
On 25-Oct-2012 08:28, Arshdeep Singh wrote:
> The color-depth is 32 bit, true color only.

Is inkscape.exe set to run in some compatibility mode?  That could make
that application
see a different color depth than the screen itself reports.

Regards,

David Mathog

Re: Compiling on Windows 7 x64

mathog
For what its worth I'm pretty sure that I am using the vanilla Mingw
install, not the TDM one.
My notes say that I started here:

   http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started

and in Msys versions are:

uname -A
MINGW32_NT-5.1 MYPC 1.0.17(0.48/3/2) 2011-04-24 23:39 i686 Msys
  gcc --version
gcc.exe (GCC) 4.6.2
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

No indication of "TDM" anything, and inkscape builds fine for me.

Also

/c/progs/mingw/var/log/mingw-get-log.txt

does not have the string "tdm" in it anywhere and all the downloads
were from:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/

Is there some other way to tell if Mingw is the TDM one?

Remind me again why TDM is suggested?

Regards,

David Mathog

Re: Compiling on Windows 7 x64

Johan Engelen-4

On 25-10-2012 18:31, Nicolas Dufour wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> De : Arshdeep Singh <[hidden email]>
>> Compiler: TDM-GCC 4.7.1 Mingw32 bit edition and not the experimental
>> 32 cum 64 bit one.
>
> I've had almost the same problem with TDM-GCC 4.7.1 on XP (but on XP, Inkscape crashed with an error message).
> Reverting to TDM-GCC 4.6.1 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdm-gcc/files/TDM-GCC%204.6%20series/) solved the issue for me.

Indeed I am compiling with 4.6.1, can you please add this hint to the
wiki page?
Thanks for finding the cause of the problem!
  -Johan

Re: Compiling on Windows 7 x64

JonY
On 10/25/2012 22:50, Arshdeep Singh wrote:

> Hello,
> Unfortunately, there is some problem with the build file or something
> wrong with the inkscape.exe.
> I have tried compiling on another machine on Windows 7 x64 only to
> face the same problem.
>
> The problem is:
> the build process completes successfully without errors but the
> inkscape.exe runs for a few seconds (seen in the task manager) and
> then quits. No windows opening, no send error report messages. Just a
> 'inkscape.exe' process in the task manager.
>
> Compiled by following the below page word to word:
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_Inkscape_on_Windows
>
> Compiler: TDM-GCC 4.7.1 Mingw32 bit edition and not the experimental
> 32 cum 64 bit one.

Take note that 4.7.x series is now defaulting to __thiscall call
convention for C++ member methods. In short, C++ code built by previous
versions will NOT work.

So, somebody needs to rebuild the precompiled libraries for the new
version. In fact, you should be building the libraries for each flavor
and version of toolchain, rather than the one-size-fits-all system that
you have now, C++ ABI is rather unstable if compiler configuration is
different.

On 10/27/2012 01:21, JonY wrote:

> On 10/25/2012 22:50, Arshdeep Singh wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Unfortunately, there is some problem with the build file or something
>> wrong with the inkscape.exe.
>> I have tried compiling on another machine on Windows 7 x64 only to
>> face the same problem.
>>
>> The problem is:
>> the build process completes successfully without errors but the
>> inkscape.exe runs for a few seconds (seen in the task manager) and
>> then quits. No windows opening, no send error report messages. Just a
>> 'inkscape.exe' process in the task manager.
>>
>> Compiled by following the below page word to word:
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_Inkscape_on_Windows
>>
>> Compiler: TDM-GCC 4.7.1 Mingw32 bit edition and not the experimental
>> 32 cum 64 bit one.
>>

> Take note that 4.7.x series is now defaulting to __thiscall call
> convention for C++ member methods. In short, C++ code built by previous
> versions will NOT work.
>
> So, somebody needs to rebuild the precompiled libraries for the new
> version. In fact, you should be building the libraries for each flavor
> and version of toolchain, rather than the one-size-fits-all system that
> you have now, C++ ABI is rather unstable if compiler configuration is
> different.

Some info from IRC says TDM is the preferred compiler toolchain, make
sure all the users stick to the same toolchain and version.

I've noticed libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll in the devlibs, that means using the
SJLJ version from TDM. That also means no mixing with GCC from the
official mingw.org.

On 10/27/2012 01:41, JonY wrote:

> On 10/27/2012 01:21, JonY wrote:
>> On 10/25/2012 22:50, Arshdeep Singh wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Unfortunately, there is some problem with the build file or something
>>> wrong with the inkscape.exe.
>>> I have tried compiling on another machine on Windows 7 x64 only to
>>> face the same problem.
>>>
>>> The problem is:
>>> the build process completes successfully without errors but the
>>> inkscape.exe runs for a few seconds (seen in the task manager) and
>>> then quits. No windows opening, no send error report messages. Just a
>>> 'inkscape.exe' process in the task manager.
>>>
>>> Compiled by following the below page word to word:
>>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_Inkscape_on_Windows
>>>
>>> Compiler: TDM-GCC 4.7.1 Mingw32 bit edition and not the experimental
>>> 32 cum 64 bit one.
>>>

>> Take note that 4.7.x series is now defaulting to __thiscall call
>> convention for C++ member methods. In short, C++ code built by previous
>> versions will NOT work.
>>
>> So, somebody needs to rebuild the precompiled libraries for the new
>> version. In fact, you should be building the libraries for each flavor
>> and version of toolchain, rather than the one-size-fits-all system that
>> you have now, C++ ABI is rather unstable if compiler configuration is
>> different.
>>

> Some info from IRC says TDM is the preferred compiler toolchain, make
> sure all the users stick to the same toolchain and version.
>
> I've noticed libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll in the devlibs, that means using the
> SJLJ version from TDM. That also means no mixing with GCC from the
> official mingw.org.

I can update
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Compiling_Inkscape_on_Windows if
somebody offers an account.

On 26-Oct-2012 10:21, JonY wrote:
> Take note that 4.7.x series is now defaulting to __thiscall call
> convention for C++ member methods. In short, C++ code built by
> previous
> versions will NOT work.

Is there some reason not to set a compiler flag to make 4.7.x use the
same call convention
as the older 4.6.x?  Is there any advantage for either the developers
or the end users
in using the newer call convention?

Regards,

David Mathog

On 10/27/2012 02:18, mathog wrote:

> On 26-Oct-2012 10:21, JonY wrote:
>> Take note that 4.7.x series is now defaulting to __thiscall call
>> convention for C++ member methods. In short, C++ code built by
>> previous
>> versions will NOT work.
>
> Is there some reason not to set a compiler flag to make 4.7.x use the
> same call convention
> as the older 4.6.x?  Is there any advantage for either the developers
> or the end users
> in using the newer call convention?
No, there is no such flag.

Neither would it be practical to implement it, the libstdc++ C++ library
used by GCC will not work with a different call convention it was built
with.

As for advantages, there aren't any clear performance winners other than
a slight increase in MSVC compatibility.

The previous call convention is __cdecl[1], arguments pushed to stack
right to left, caller unwinds the stack. This convention is used by
Linux SysV ABI and normal C code on Linux and Windows. __thiscall[2] is
a C++ variant of __stdcall[3] where stack is unwound by callee, however
the "this" C++ context is put on the ECX register rather than as a
normal first call argument.

GCC unfortunately does not mangle __cdecl vs __thiscall call convention
into the object symbol tables, this meant you can still link your old
code, but it would fall apart during runtime.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zkwh89ks.aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ek8tkfbw.aspx
[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zxk0tw93.aspx