Quantcast

Completely disable snap to cusp

Chris Tooley
Hello all,

I am attempting to do precise vector modification and I keep getting "snap to cusp" sort of thing happening which is *not* what I want. How do I completely disable this? I seem to recall trying to figure this out a long time ago and not being successful, and it's super irritating :)

I can see where I can change the snap delay but that's not adequate. I would prefer if it was a checkbox to enable/disable snapping?

I am comfortable with editing a preferences file in the CLI if necessary.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Completely disable snap to cusp

Maren Hachmann
Hi Chris,

you can use the snap controls bar for this, see
https://inkscape.org/en/~Moini/%E2%98%85snapping-guide-091

(if you cannot see it, you can check at View -> Show/Hide, if maybe
you've hidden it some time)

Am 22.03.2017 um 18:07 schrieb Chris Tooley:

> Hello all,
>
> I am attempting to do precise vector modification and I keep getting
> "snap to cusp" sort of thing happening which is *not* what I want. How
> do I completely disable this? I seem to recall trying to figure this out
> a long time ago and not being successful, and it's super irritating :)
>
> I can see where I can change the snap delay but that's not adequate. I
> would prefer if it was a checkbox to enable/disable snapping?
>
> I am comfortable with editing a preferences file in the CLI if necessary.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Re: Completely disable snap to cusp

Christoph Raab
Hi Chris,
you might have to go to View -> Show/Hide -> Snap Controls Bar to see this button.
Best,
Chris

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I am attempting to do precise vector modification and I keep getting "snap to cusp" sort of thing happening which is *not* what I want. How do I completely disable this? I seem to recall trying to figure this out a long time ago and not being successful, and it's super irritating :)

I can see where I can change the snap delay but that's not adequate. I would prefer if it was a checkbox to enable/disable snapping?

I am comfortable with editing a preferences file in the CLI if necessary.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Completely disable snap to cusp

Brynn
Hi Chris and Everyone,
        Sorry to be a bit late to this discussion.  But this seems important
enough to mention, even late.
        Even though you now have discovered the snap controls, you might still
be unable to disable snapping to cusp/corner nodes completely .  For some reason
which I don't know, Inkscape is confused about the difference between
cusp/corner nodes and smooth nodes, where snapping is concerned.
        I made this bug report when I discovered it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1443707
Since then, I've seen it happen countless times where I can't snap to a smooth
node unless both smooth and corner/cusp snapping are enabled.  Or the same goes
for corner/cusp nodes -- they might not necessarily snap unless both node types
are enabled for snapping.  Also, sometimes the snap notification is wrong.  For
example if you just snapped to a smooth node, it might say it snapped to
corner/cusp (or vice versa).
        I haven't tested, but I would assume the reverse must be true, that even
if you have disabled snapping to cusp/corner nodes, they might still snap if you
still have smooth node snapping enabled.
        There are some ways to help control snapping, which are not entirely
obvious to newbies.  The best tip I can give to newbies, is never to have every
snap option enabled at the same time.  Because then everything will want to snap
to everything else, and there's no way to control it.  Double-triple chaos if
there's a grid!!
        My next best tip is to use the option (in Inkscape Preferences) which
goes something like "only snap nodes closest to pointer".  Then you can grab the
object nearby to the node that you want to snap, and only that node will be
available to snap.
        And there are some more tips, and options you can tweak, to get even
more control over snapping!  Just explain details about what the problem is that
you want to avoid, and we can chime in with some  more tricks.
        Snapping is the BEST feature, once you learn how to control it
effectively!  (Thanks Diederik!!)  Omg, when I first started to learn Inkscape,
there was no such thing as snapping -- now, I can't imagine using Inkscape,
without snapping!