Convert to path on use/clones

Jabier Arraiza
Hi all.

I want to start a discussion to make convert to paths function and also
the stroke to paths works on use/clone elements.

The question:
Is a good idea? To me is the expected result from a user point of
view...

Cheers, Jabier.

Re: Convert to path on use/clones

Eduard Braun

Hi Jabier,

I agree... Currently the operation fails with "No Objects in the selection" when there clearly is something selected and it might confuse users.

What we need to consider: Right now when applying color (fill/stroke) to clones it does not do anything either, so for consistency we probably have to decide whether to

  1. automatically unlink and do whatever operation the user requests on the new copy
  2. modify the original
  3. do nothing (like now) and properly inform the user that the original needs to be modified (we do that for fill/stroke and offer the shortcut to select the original automatically)

or if this is even something that needs to be configurable...

That being said there's not much point in creating clones when one wants to modify them afterwards... (unless we decide on 2. above).

Regards,
Eduard

Am 24.10.2017 um 00:05 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
Hi all.

I want to start a discussion to make convert to paths function and also
the stroke to paths works on use/clone elements.

The question:
Is a good idea? To me is the expected result from a user point of
view...

Cheers, Jabier.

Re: Convert to path on use/clones

Miguel Lopez

Hi, Eduard

                In my opinion, if possible, we should have the option of having advanced clones ala smart object or clone layer. So, if you apply a different stroke, there should be a dialog on whether to automatically unlink, and then apply an advanced clone LPE. This is one of those concepts I really want to see a reality in Inkscape. Being able to work with 2D texture, and having an advanced clone being deformed with envelope in another place would be a feature I’d like to see. I heard someone mention that Inkscape now has advanced clone, and he told me I need to update Inkscape. But, it doesn’t look like advanced clone is a thing from this conversation. Oh, and on that note, I’d really would like to see patterns being cloned as path via advanced clone even though that will probably butcher Inkscape performance.

Thanks

Lopez,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Convert to path on use/clones

Jabier Arraiza
Seems a cool idea! Well think. Im not sure about how to advert the user
his changes unlink the clone and convert into a LPEItem (with clone
LPE).