Data-visualization extension ?

Pierre Massat
Dear all,

I know I should be sending this to the dev list, but I'm not a member and I'm feeling lazy.

In Illustrator there's a tool to import data in a spreadsheet, and create basic charts from that. It's very handy for people who do data-visualization.
I would think that Inkscape is just as good as Illustrator for tweaking existing svg charts (colors, text, layout, etc.). But due to the lack of this tool Inkscape currently requires an extra step to create the charts with another application (e.g. the R project for statistical computing).

I looked at tutorials to create extensions. I think that the logic could be quite easily implemented (i.e. calculating scales, displaying the shapes). But there doesn't seem to be a spreadsheet widget for the UI, which makes it a no-go if users can't input a few simple numbers manually.

Any idea how difficult it would be to create this extension ?

Cheers,

Pierre.

Re: Data-visualization extension ?

Marc Jeanmougin
Hi,

Probably fairly easy: https://github.com/Florianjw/NiceCharts should be
included in 0.93

Marc

On 01/07/2017 09:57 AM, Pierre Massat wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I know I should be sending this to the dev list, but I'm not a member
> and I'm feeling lazy.
>
> In Illustrator there's a tool to import data in a spreadsheet, and
> create basic charts from that. It's very handy for people who do
> data-visualization.
> I would think that Inkscape is just as good as Illustrator for tweaking
> existing svg charts (colors, text, layout, etc.). But due to the lack of
> this tool Inkscape currently requires an extra step to create the charts
> with another application (e.g. the R project for statistical computing).
>
> I looked at tutorials to create extensions. I think that the logic could
> be quite easily implemented (i.e. calculating scales, displaying the
> shapes). But there doesn't seem to be a spreadsheet widget for the UI,
> which makes it a no-go if users can't input a few simple numbers manually.
>
> Any idea how difficult it would be to create this extension ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pierre.

Re: Data-visualization extension ?

Pierre Massat
Interesting, I didn't know about this extension.
I guess I could try and extend it a bit.

No spreadsheet in the UI though, I wish there was a way to implement this.

Thanks,

Pierre.

Probably fairly easy: https://github.com/Florianjw/NiceCharts should be
included in 0.93

Marc

On 01/07/2017 09:57 AM, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I know I should be sending this to the dev list, but I'm not a member
> and I'm feeling lazy.
>
> In Illustrator there's a tool to import data in a spreadsheet, and
> create basic charts from that. It's very handy for people who do
> data-visualization.
> I would think that Inkscape is just as good as Illustrator for tweaking
> existing svg charts (colors, text, layout, etc.). But due to the lack of
> this tool Inkscape currently requires an extra step to create the charts
> with another application (e.g. the R project for statistical computing).
>
> I looked at tutorials to create extensions. I think that the logic could
> be quite easily implemented (i.e. calculating scales, displaying the
> shapes). But there doesn't seem to be a spreadsheet widget for the UI,
> which makes it a no-go if users can't input a few simple numbers manually.
>
> Any idea how difficult it would be to create this extension ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pierre.

Re: Data-visualization extension ?

Marc Jeanmougin
Extensions are written in python, so it's possible, but you'll need to
include packages that can read whatever speadsheet format you're
interested in (maybe https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyexcel/ for xls and ods)

On 01/07/2017 12:10 PM, Pierre Massat wrote:

> Interesting, I didn't know about this extension.
> I guess I could try and extend it a bit.
>
> No spreadsheet in the UI though, I wish there was a way to implement this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pierre.

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Probably fairly easy: https://github.com/Florianjw/NiceCharts
>     <https://github.com/Florianjw/NiceCharts> should be
>     included in 0.93
>
>     Cheers,
>     --
>     Marc
>
>     On 01/07/2017 09:57 AM, Pierre Massat wrote:
>     > Dear all,
>     >
>     > I know I should be sending this to the dev list, but I'm not a member
>     > and I'm feeling lazy.
>     >
>     > In Illustrator there's a tool to import data in a spreadsheet, and
>     > create basic charts from that. It's very handy for people who do
>     > data-visualization.
>     > I would think that Inkscape is just as good as Illustrator for
>     tweaking
>     > existing svg charts (colors, text, layout, etc.). But due to the
>     lack of
>     > this tool Inkscape currently requires an extra step to create the
>     charts
>     > with another application (e.g. the R project for statistical
>     computing).
>     >
>     > I looked at tutorials to create extensions. I think that the logic
>     could
>     > be quite easily implemented (i.e. calculating scales, displaying the
>     > shapes). But there doesn't seem to be a spreadsheet widget for the UI,
>     > which makes it a no-go if users can't input a few simple numbers
>     manually.
>     >
>     > Any idea how difficult it would be to create this extension ?
>     >
>     > Cheers,
>     >
>     > Pierre.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >

Re: Data-visualization extension ?

Pierre Massat
The extension you mentioned earlier already does importing spreadsheets.
What Illustrators has is a spreadsheet like interface in the UI, like a small table with cells that can be edited. This would be very handy, but as I wrote in my original post Inkscape doesn't seem to make this type of UI element easy to create (which is OK, but makes the creation of extension that mimics Illustrator more difficult).

Extensions are written in python, so it's possible, but you'll need to
include packages that can read whatever speadsheet format you're
interested in (maybe https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyexcel/ for xls and ods)

On 01/07/2017 12:10 PM, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Interesting, I didn't know about this extension.
> I guess I could try and extend it a bit.
>
> No spreadsheet in the UI though, I wish there was a way to implement this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pierre.

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Probably fairly easy: https://github.com/Florianjw/NiceCharts
>     <https://github.com/Florianjw/NiceCharts> should be
>     included in 0.93
>
>     Cheers,
>     --
>     Marc
>
>     On 01/07/2017 09:57 AM, Pierre Massat wrote:
>     > Dear all,
>     >
>     > I know I should be sending this to the dev list, but I'm not a member
>     > and I'm feeling lazy.
>     >
>     > In Illustrator there's a tool to import data in a spreadsheet, and
>     > create basic charts from that. It's very handy for people who do
>     > data-visualization.
>     > I would think that Inkscape is just as good as Illustrator for
>     tweaking
>     > existing svg charts (colors, text, layout, etc.). But due to the
>     lack of
>     > this tool Inkscape currently requires an extra step to create the
>     charts
>     > with another application (e.g. the R project for statistical
>     computing).
>     >
>     > I looked at tutorials to create extensions. I think that the logic
>     could
>     > be quite easily implemented (i.e. calculating scales, displaying the
>     > shapes). But there doesn't seem to be a spreadsheet widget for the UI,
>     > which makes it a no-go if users can't input a few simple numbers
>     manually.
>     >
>     > Any idea how difficult it would be to create this extension ?
>     >
>     > Cheers,
>     >
>     > Pierre.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >

Re: Data-visualization extension ?

Maren Hachmann
Actually, it's included in 0.92 already:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/0.92.x/files/head:/share/extensions/

Can read CSV files, and produce bar and pie charts.

Am 07.01.2017 um 15:24 schrieb Pierre Massat:

> [...]
>     >     manually.
>     >     >
>     >     > Any idea how difficult it would be to create this extension ?
>     >     >
>     >     > Cheers,
>     >     >
>     >     > Pierre.
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >     Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most

Victor Westmann
Indeed! It's there.

Go to Extensions > Render > Nice Charts...

--Victor Westmann

> [...]

>     >     manually.
>     >     >
>     >     > Any idea how difficult it would be to create this extension ?
>     >     >
>     >     > Cheers,
>     >     >
>     >     > Pierre.
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >     Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most

Graphing is interesting. It'd be fun to try and use one of the web
browser packages to use d3 or one of the many graphing libraries to
generate the visualisations and use the svg directly in inkscape.

So many things which are theoretically possible.

On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 15:24 +0100, Pierre Massat wrote:
> The extension you mentioned earlier already does importing
> spreadsheets.
> What Illustrators has is a spreadsheet like interface in the UI, like
> a small table with cells that can be edited. This would be very
> handy, but as I wrote in my original post Inkscape doesn't seem to
> make this type of UI element easy to create (which is OK, but makes
> the creation of extension that mimics Illustrator more difficult).

A proper way of developing this would be to have a hook into
libreoffice calc, such that the data rows/cols are all in calc and
inkscape does the visualisation.

Having two windows of two programs open and sharing data is harder than
shuffling around a filename, but it's much more preferable to
recreating widgets.

I'm not entirely sure if it'd even be possible to call a python script
and have it use UNO to interact with an open spreadsheet, but it'd be
really great if it could be made possible. An inkscape extension plus a
libreoffice extension packaged together as a separate lib.

Re: Data-visualization extension ?

Pierre Massat
@Martin : I have no clue how to go about using libreoffice to communicate with Inkscape.
What do you mean by "use on of the web browser packages" ? I happen to use d3.js everyday. My current workflow is :
1) draw svg stuff with D3 in the browser,
2) export it as an svg file,
3) edit it in Inkscape.

Having an extension working like Illustrator's would remove the first two steps.

Regards,

Pierre.

Graphing is interesting. It'd be fun to try and use one of the web
browser packages to use d3 or one of the many graphing libraries to
generate the visualisations and use the svg directly in inkscape.

So many things which are theoretically possible.

On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 15:24 +0100, Pierre Massat wrote:
> The extension you mentioned earlier already does importing
> spreadsheets.
> What Illustrators has is a spreadsheet like interface in the UI, like
> a small table with cells that can be edited. This would be very
> handy, but as I wrote in my original post Inkscape doesn't seem to
> make this type of UI element easy to create (which is OK, but makes
> the creation of extension that mimics Illustrator more difficult).

A proper way of developing this would be to have a hook into
libreoffice calc, such that the data rows/cols are all in calc and
inkscape does the visualisation.

Having two windows of two programs open and sharing data is harder than
shuffling around a filename, but it's much more preferable to
recreating widgets.

I'm not entirely sure if it'd even be possible to call a python script
and have it use UNO to interact with an open spreadsheet, but it'd be
really great if it could be made possible. An inkscape extension plus a
libreoffice extension packaged together as a separate lib.

Re: Data-visualization extension ?

Martin Owens-2
On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 11:20 +0100, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Having an extension working like Illustrator's would remove the first
> two steps.

There are programable browsers for chrome and firefox backends which
libraries such as phantomjs use to do 'renderings' of pages. I've used
such a thing to generate svg output of pages and while it's not quick,
you are able to then use any js/webbrowser based creator.