Quantcast

Devanagari font rendering not correct

Raghavendra kamath
Hi,

I noticed that the Devanagari (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari) font and possibly other indic scripts with overlapping ligatures and diacritics,
Don't render correctly in inkscape. The part where the elements overlap leave a hole, and there is a gap in horrizontal bar at the top.

If I remember correctly this is recent problem after .92 (I will try to get older inkscape version and test this).

I have also filed a bug report here -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1691631

You can see a screenshot where the same word is written in same font in inkscape and libreoffice here -> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/320136836/inkscapevslibreoffice-devanagari.png
Notice the gap in the top horizontal line and also the holes where the top diacritics intersect with the horizontal lines.

I kindly request others to test and check if this problem is present in other scripts where there are overlapping elements, and if they encounter same problem please add comment to the bug report.

This gives a problem for people using inkscape for lettering comics or typesetting using these scripts.

Thank you

--
Raghavendra Kamath
Illustrator

Re: Devanagari font rendering not correct

Raghavendra kamath
Hi everybody,

On 2017 May 18 09:29:25, Raghavendra Kamath wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the Devanagari (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari) font and possibly other indic scripts with overlapping ligatures and diacritics,
> Don't render correctly in inkscape. The part where the elements overlap leave a hole, and there is a gap in horrizontal bar at the top.
>
> If I remember correctly this is recent problem after .92 (I will try to get older inkscape version and test this).
>
> I have also filed a bug report here -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1691631
>
> You can see a screenshot where the same word is written in same font in inkscape and libreoffice here -> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/320136836/inkscapevslibreoffice-devanagari.png
> Notice the gap in the top horizontal line and also the holes where the top diacritics intersect with the horizontal lines.
>
> I kindly request others to test and check if this problem is present in other scripts where there are overlapping elements, and if they encounter same problem please add comment to the bug report.
>
> This gives a problem for people using inkscape for lettering comics or typesetting using these scripts.
>
> Thank you

This is not a bug, just my mistake, I forgot about the fill rule in fill options.
The font renders correctly with nonzero fill rule.
Sorry for the mail and bug report.

thank you

--
Raghavendra Kamath