Development Project Management System Gsoc 2017

Development Project Management System Gsoc 2017

Rohit Lodha
Hello,
I am Rohit, a sophomore pursuing B.E Computer Science . I have been developing websites and managing them for the last one year for my college and a start-up that I had worked with. I have a huge interest in Python and Django and have build almost all the websites using them.

I want to contribute to Inkscape by working on the Development Project Management System during the summer. I have gone through the Janitorial task documentation and also have started searching for patches to fix. I also had a look at the Django Website Development, the inkscape-web repository.

Can you please tell me how to proceed or any task you expect me to carry out to be a part of the community ?

-Rohit
My github profile: https://github.com/rtgdk

Re: Development Project Management System Gsoc 2017

Maren Hachmann
Hi Rohit,

welcome :)

I'm not sure if maybe you've already received a reply via other
channels, but just in case you haven't, I'm forwarding your message to
the developers' mailing list, and will try to give some small kind of reply.

A good (and only recently updated) source for getting started with
Inkscape's website development is
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/WebSite

The bug reports for the website currently live on launchpad [1] and on
gitlab in parallel. If you haven't yet, and Bryce or Martin haven't
already given you another 'starter task' or have one in mind, you could
browse around and look if one of them catches your interest.

@Bryce or Martin, I think you've both volunteered to be a GSOC mentor,
maybe you already have some task in mind for GSOC students
pre-application phase?

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape-web
[2]: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/issues

Am 23.02.2017 um 16:46 schrieb Rohit Lodha:

> Hello,
> I am Rohit, a sophomore pursuing B.E Computer Science . I have been
> developing websites and managing them for the last one year for my
> college and a start-up that I had worked with. I have a huge interest in
> Python and Django and have build almost all the websites using them.
>
> I want to contribute to Inkscape by working on the Development Project
> Management System during the summer. I have gone through the Janitorial
> task documentation and also have started searching for patches to fix. I
> also had a look at the Django Website Development, the inkscape-web
> repository.
>
> Can you please tell me how to proceed or any task you expect me to carry
> out to be a part of the community ?
>
> -Rohit
> My github profile: https://github.com/rtgdk

Re: [Inkscape-devel] Development Project Management System Gsoc 2017

Martin Owens-2
Hi Rohit,

Thanks for getting in touch and I hope we can get you set up and
started on development.

I'm the web master and web admin. That means I'm in charge of making
sure the website is functioning, deployed and looking after the website
code. Although I'll only really step in to make a final call if there's
a lack of consensus about an issue, or if people are unsure and need
someone to just make the decision one way or another.

Please let me know if you need help. We can do a session on IRC or
Jitsi if you like to have screensharing.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 12:35:52AM +0100, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Hi Rohit,
>
> welcome :)
>
> I'm not sure if maybe you've already received a reply via other
> channels, but just in case you haven't, I'm forwarding your message to
> the developers' mailing list, and will try to give some small kind of reply.
>
> A good (and only recently updated) source for getting started with
> Inkscape's website development is
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/WebSite
>
> The bug reports for the website currently live on launchpad [1] and on
> gitlab in parallel. If you haven't yet, and Bryce or Martin haven't
> already given you another 'starter task' or have one in mind, you could
> browse around and look if one of them catches your interest.
>
> @Bryce or Martin, I think you've both volunteered to be a GSOC mentor,
> maybe you already have some task in mind for GSOC students
> pre-application phase?
>
> Regards,
>  Maren
>
> [1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape-web
> [2]: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/issues
>
> Am 23.02.2017 um 16:46 schrieb Rohit Lodha:
> > Hello,
> > I am Rohit, a sophomore pursuing B.E Computer Science . I have been
> > developing websites and managing them for the last one year for my
> > college and a start-up that I had worked with. I have a huge interest in
> > Python and Django and have build almost all the websites using them.
> >
> > I want to contribute to Inkscape by working on the Development Project
> > Management System during the summer. I have gone through the Janitorial
> > task documentation and also have started searching for patches to fix. I
> > also had a look at the Django Website Development, the inkscape-web
> > repository.
> >
> > Can you please tell me how to proceed or any task you expect me to carry
> > out to be a part of the community ?

Hi Rohit,

I would encourage you to join this mailing list if you haven't already.
If you like chatting with people directly, the IRC channel would be
worth joining as well; I hang out there regularly and can answer
questions relating to the project management system design.

Getting a couple patches in is a great way to get involved in the
community.  If you're interested in working on django code then focusing
on patches to inkscape_web does make a lot of sense.  I don't have
suggestions for easy tasks there (Martin might).

Re: Development Project Management System Gsoc 2017

Welcome Rohit!

Martin can inform you best about what is needed.  But just for your info, here's
our Community To-Do List:

https://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/

Most, if not all of that is work needed on the website.