Development versions

Jabier Arraiza
Hi all.

I have a request from a Grafica Libre user to get a PPA or AppImage of
devel versions to start working filling bugs. Hi is focussed now in
Jessyinc.

Is posible create  similar thing like the one for windows described a
little time ago in Appveyor for Appimage to allow user coexist easy 2
inkscape versions without need install&reinstall PPA needs because same
package devel and stable?

This grow our testing base user and also provides people ability to
test if a bug is realy fixed without need to wait the release, removing
surprises.

Thanks in advance, Jabier.

Re: Development versions

Jabier Arraiza
Forget me. I read windows mail and in the end put the PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/+archive/ubuntu/trunk

Cheers, Jabier.

On Wed, 2017-11-01 at 20:05 +0100, Jabier Arraiza wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a request from a Grafica Libre user to get a PPA or AppImage
> of
> devel versions to start working filling bugs. Hi is focussed now in
> Jessyinc.
>
> Is posible create  similar thing like the one for windows described a
> little time ago in Appveyor for Appimage to allow user coexist easy 2
> inkscape versions without need install&reinstall PPA needs because
> same
> package devel and stable?
>
> This grow our testing base user and also provides people ability to
> test if a bug is realy fixed without need to wait the release,
> removing
> surprises.
>
> Thanks in advance, Jabier.

Re: Development versions

Maren Hachmann
Some time ago, I made a script that automatically creates independent
versions of Inkscape (one per branch is possible) on Ubuntu derivatives.

They can live on the system in parallel to any versions from ppas or
distro repositories.

It creates deb packages for convenient install/removal and takes care of
environment variables (thanks to suv), separate preferences directories
etc. .

https://gitlab.com/snippets/1671741

Usage:

- follow instructions on above page
- launch either without specifying a branch, then it builds master, or
with specifying a branch name, then it builds that branch.

So, if you want to have one Inkscape master build, one Inkscape 0.92.x
build, a build of a feature branch and the stable version in parallel,
you can.

Only thing to remember is to always start the additional Inkscape
versions by (double-clicking) running the script file that is created
for the requested branch. That way, they cannot mess with the
preferences file for your main Inkscape, and extensions will work.

I've got them on my desktop, so it's like starting any normal
application (but one could probably add a menu entry, too, just haven't
looked into that).

(tested on Linux Mint 18.2)

Maren