Eager Python Developer - GSoC

Tonya Sims
Hello everyone!

My name is Tonya, I'm a junior to mid level Python developer and plan on applying for GSoC I downloaded Inkscape on my Mac and played around with it. A very cool application!

What are your most urgent needs? Are your extensions built in Python? I was trying to brainstorm some ideas for a new extension and may need more time unless there's something you could suggest? Also, I'm learning Django and could help out with the website, let's say a new bug tracking system (not that you need one) but just brainstorming.

Anyways, looking forward to everyone's replies and will start working on my application.

Cheers,

Tonya Sims

Re: Eager Python Developer - GSoC

Bryce Harrington-3
On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 06:56:16PM -0600, Tonya Sims wrote:
> Hello everyone!

Hi Tonya,

Thanks for swinging by, and hope your interest translates into a fun
project to work on.

> My name is Tonya, I'm a junior to mid level Python developer and plan on
> applying for GSoC I downloaded Inkscape on my Mac and played around with
> it. A very cool application!
>
> What are your most urgent needs? Are your extensions built in Python? I was
> trying to brainstorm some ideas for a new extension and may need more time
> unless there's something you could suggest?

We've collected quite a number of extensions over the years, and my
guess is less so than needing new extensions, what's needed is to polish
up (or fix up) some of the existing ones that haven't gotten attention
in a while.

Some extensions work but are unclear how to use them, so may simply need
a bit better UX.  Some work but their code could be improved with some
refactoring cleanup.  Others may have bugs, some of which may be obvious
others only with thorough testing.

> Also, I'm learning Django and could help out with the website, let's
> say a new bug tracking system (not that you need one) but just
> brainstorming.

Relating to bug reporting, we've had some discussions about crafting a
user-friendly front end, that isn't really a bug tracker but more of a
collaborative tool for users to discuss problems among themselves,
gather data, and crowdsource answers.  The actual bug tracker that
developers use would sit behind this, with issues getting escalated into
the bug tracker from the front-end once they're well enough defined.

The concept is still pretty vague, so some experimental work to flesh
ideas out and demo UI would definitely be a solid step forward.

> Anyways, looking forward to everyone's replies and will start working on my
> application.

Re: Eager Python Developer - GSoC

Hi Tonya,
        I'm not a developer, but just wanted to say Welcome!  I spend a lot of
time helping users in forums (occasionally on the mailing list).

        It's fairly common to come across users who could use an extension which
does this or that.  But those would not usually be useful for a wide range of
users.

        Developers probably have a better idea of what would be the most needed
work.  And they might have very different projects for GSoC, which of course
would have precedence.  But this is just from the user support perspective....

        The biggest one that I can think of at the moment, would be a true CMYK
print model exporter (hopefully which would work on all 3 major systems).  There
is such an extension under development, but it's been some years since I heard
about any progress.

        This is all I have, and unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's an
English version:  http://wiki.softwarelivre.org/InkscapeBrasil/ExportarPDFCMYK
and also
http://jonata.org/inkscape/outputpro/

        And this thread (is in English), starting with this last message we
heard from the developer.  The dicussion after that point is over my head, but
just in case it might be helpful:
http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5943&p=45043#p45043

        Currently we suggest using Scribus to get the true CMYK.
(http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/getting-cmyk-colors-from-inkscape-to-scribus).

On Sat, 2018-03-10 at 18:56 -0600, Tonya Sims wrote:
> Also, I'm learning Django and could help out with the website, let's
> say a new bug tracking system (not that you need one) but just
> brainstorming.

Welcome Tonya,

I'd be your point of contact for website/django python if that's what
you end up going for. The website is an interesting set of applications
with some fun pieces. An upgrade from 1.8 to 1.11 would be a solid
introduction to the django site, not a large project, but certainly one
that would get you around a lot of the code in preparation for a bigger
one fr GSoC.

Let me know if you end up being interested.