Edit particular part of SVG only

noreply
Hi,

Say an SVG file has a chair. The chair is composed of several parts. It
has a back, legs, etc.

Is there any way to isolate one part of the chair only (one object? one
vector section? sorry I do not know the correct term or word for it) and
edit it isolated from all the other parts, say in its own window?

Indeed you can select a particular part of the chair and edit it with all
the other parts near it.. but I am wondering if you can completely isolate
it, say in it's own edit window, to focus only on it, zoom in on it, etc.

As a newbie, this may be something everyone knows how to do. Apologies if
it's easy and I just missed how to do it.

The idea is I want to focus on certain parts of the drawing and ignore the
rest.

And, if this feature doesn't exist in the standard program as it is, would
such an idea be possible with an extension?

Re: Edit particular part of SVG only

noreply
On Mon, January 30, 2017 2:58 pm, I previously wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Say an SVG file has a chair. The chair is composed of several parts. It
> has a back, legs, etc.
>
> Is there any way to isolate one part of the chair only (one object? one
> vector section? sorry I do not know the correct term or word for it) and
> edit it isolated from all the other parts, say in its own window?
>
> Indeed you can select a particular part of the chair and edit it with all
>  the other parts near it.. but I am wondering if you can completely
> isolate it, say in it's own edit window, to focus only on it, zoom in on
> it, etc.

p.s. may be able to do this with layers, but I was thinking something more
immediate without having to create a layer for each part of the image...
just right click a certain object (say a chair leg) and "Edit this section
only" or "Edit this object".

Re: Edit particular part of SVG only

Hi Lars,

I think the easiest way to do this would be to copy the part of the
chair you want to edit, then to paste it somewhere in your document
where there is no other object, then, when you're done editing, to move
it back and delete the original (it's important to insert it back into
the correct group, though).

There are other ways, of course:

- you could 'hide' all objects that are not the object you have
selected. I think, though, there is currently no option to hide multiple
objects at once with a keyboard shortcut or from the menu, and the .
Selecting 'all other objects' is already possible (the 'solo' command in
the right-click menu of the objects dialog would probably do exactly
what you want, but it does not work - might still need a bug report...).

- you can move the object to another layer, then 'hide' all other layers
using the 'solo' item in the layer's right-click menu (this does work).

- you could copy the object into its own file, then transfer it back.

It would certainly be possible (and very, very easy) to write an
extension that hides everything but the selected object. For unhiding,
the 'unhide all' item in the Edit menu can be used.

Kind Regards,
 Maren

On Mon, January 30, 2017 4:13 pm, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>

> I think the easiest way to do this would be to copy the part of the
> chair you want to edit, then to paste it somewhere in your document where
> there is no other object, then, when you're done editing, to move it back
> and delete the original (it's important to insert it back into the correct
> group, though).
>
> There are other ways, of course:
>

> - you could 'hide' all objects that are not the object you have
> selected. I think, though, there is currently no option to hide multiple
> objects at once with a keyboard shortcut or from the menu, and the .
> Selecting 'all other objects' is already possible (the 'solo' command in
> the right-click menu of the objects dialog would probably do exactly what
> you want, but it does not work - might still need a bug report...).
>
> - you can move the object to another layer, then 'hide' all other layers
> using the 'solo' item in the layer's right-click menu (this does work).
>
> - you could copy the object into its own file, then transfer it back.
>

> It would certainly be possible (and very, very easy) to write an
> extension that hides everything but the selected object. For unhiding, the
> 'unhide all' item in the Edit menu can be used.

Likely I will try this! My first plugin attempt.

Thanks for the great tips..

Also, is there a way to see a list of all the objects (or sections) and
scroll through them... This program here has it (made a screenshot):

http://z505.com/images/svg/svg-object-list.png

Again, not sure what the correct term for it is.. an svg image is composed
of several "objects"? Or sections? or elements? or svg's? Or "parts".

Re: Edit particular part of SVG only

Maren Hachmann
Am 31.01.2017 um 02:38 schrieb Lars:

>> It would certainly be possible (and very, very easy) to write an
>> extension that hides everything but the selected object. For unhiding, the
>> 'unhide all' item in the Edit menu can be used.
>>

> Likely I will try this! My first plugin attempt.

- For getting started, you can take a look here:
https://inkscape.org/en/develop/extensions/

(the easiest way to write a new extension is by using an old one that
does something similar, and then modifying it - mind the licence,
though, if you make derivatives.)

> Thanks for the great tips..
>
> Also, is there a way to see a list of all the objects (or sections) and
> scroll through them... This program here has it (made a screenshot):
>
> http://z505.com/images/svg/svg-object-list.png
>
> Again, not sure what the correct term for it is.. an svg image is composed
> of several "objects"? Or sections? or elements? or svg's? Or "parts".

- It's indeed called the 'objects dialog' ;-), and it's new in Inkscape
0.92:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92#Objects_Dialog
(find it in Object -> Objects...)

Unlike your screenshot, it doesn't show miniature versions of the
objects themselves, though. It shows the objects' label (an Inkscape
specific name, which needs not be unique, and can only be used in
Inkscape), and some options for hiding, locking, highlight color, blend
mode...

Objects and elements are both fine, I think, for terminology. At least
everyone here will understand you, if you use these terms for items in
an SVG image.

Re: Edit particular part of SVG only

DyslexicAwe Talent
Hello Lars,

Very much like you, I am new to the list
(albeit not entirely new to Inkscape itself).

If Inkscape allows for user scripting, however,
which I am not sure if it does,

(Edit) I had to google and I found a blog
post titled "Inkscape extensions by non
developers, for non developers. A primer".
The post explains it is possible.

To avoid breaking the url across lines,
I decided to shorten it, so see
non-developers like you and me could
create an extension. It's a bit intimidating
to think about it, but maybe it could be done
by non-developers, I don't know.)

then an ordinary user could write a script
(or extension) and make the process
automatized.

Providing that the part you want to edit is selected,
the extension would need to:
a) create new layer and name it "1st temporary (layer)",
b) move currently selection to the newly created temp layer,
c) create another layer and name it for example "2nd temp (layer)",
d) reverse the selection,
e) move new selection (i.e. all but those in the 1st temp layer)
     to the second temp layer,
f) lock and g) hide the 2nd temp layer,

This way we would be able to select and edit the parts
from "1st temp layer" only, as you suggested.

Kind Regards,
DyslexicAweTalent

P.S.
To editors of the list. Maybe you want people who
are new to the list, like me, to read the reminders how
to contribute to the list, using a numbered list like that
(just a humble proposal):

1) If sending a new submission, send it
     to [hidden email]

2) If replying, the Subject line should be changed
     from generic "XXX digest" to a "Re:" and
     more specific subject.

Date: 30 Jan 2017 15:41
From: "Lars" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Edit particular part of SVG only

On Tue, January 31, 2017 7:27 am, DyslexicAwe Talent wrote:

> Hello Lars,
>

> Very much like you, I am new to the list
> (albeit not entirely new to Inkscape itself).
>

> If Inkscape allows for user scripting, however,
> which I am not sure if it does,
>
> (Edit) I had to google and I found a blog
> post titled "Inkscape extensions by non developers, for non developers. A
> primer". The post explains it is possible.

Well to be clear ;-) I'm not really a non-developer at all. I personally
do not develop Inkscape, but I am very much a software developer! So it
shouldn't be too hard for me... It seems some of the exensions are written
in python and c++.  I might try, GoLang or Delphi, as an experiment - even
though they say C++. That indeed could be a hassle, but a lot of things
that c++ can generate, other languages can do it too. For starters python
is probably easiest, so that is likely what I will try.

> To avoid breaking the url across lines,
> I decided to shorten it, so see
> https://goo.gl/Fr2Mre to read how
> non-developers like you and me could create an extension. It's a bit
> intimidating to think about it, but maybe it could be done by
> non-developers, I don't know.)
>
> then an ordinary user could write a script (or extension) and make the
> process automatized.
>
> Providing that the part you want to edit is selected,
> the extension would need to: a) create new layer and name it "1st ?
> temporary
> (layer)",
> b) move currently selection to the newly created temp layer, c) create
> another layer and name it for example "2nd temp (layer)", d) reverse the
> selection, e) move new selection (i.e. all but those in the 1st temp
> layer) to the second temp layer, f) lock and g) hide the 2nd temp layer,

Or like the other list member was saying, just edit it without even
creating a layer, by hiding everything except the object you are working
on. That's the first thing I will try in Python likely as I make time.
Clothes dryer is broken so interrupts my programming work ;-)