Editing elliptical arc segments in paths

Editing elliptical arc segments in paths

Daniel Bailey
Hi All,

I wrote a new feature for inkscape a while ago (3 years ago) but never got it upstreamed, partly because it had some obvious bugs.

Recently I wanted to use this feature again so decided to fix the code and bring it up to date with the latest code base.

I have now fixed the bugs I found previously. The code is much closer to a state where it could be upstreamed, but likely it will need some tweaks for usability.

The most notable differences are;
 - Arc segments now get a pair of handles at right angles to each other, to manipulate
     the two radii of the ellipse and the rotation of the ellipse.
 - Arc segments are no longer automatically converted to beziers upon editing a path
 - Arc segments can be converted to beziers using the "make segments smooth" button
 - Dragging the line of an arc segment will not manipulate the segment like it will if the segment
     is a line or a bezier (and therefore not all segments can be dragged, whereas they could
     before) (maybe a different behaviour is desired here)
 - The arc flags (the large flag and sweep flag) can be set using new buttons in the node toolbar

I'm still a new contributor, so let me know what I should do next. I guess I need to create a merge request on gitlab?

Thanks.
Dan.

(Previous discussion can be found in the messages from 2016 in these search results: https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/search/?q=Arcs+in+the+path+editor&mail_list=inkscape-devel)

Re: Editing elliptical arc segments in paths

doctormo
Hi Daniel,

On Thu, 2019-05-23 at 20:22 +0100, Daniel Bailey wrote:
> I'm still a new contributor, so let me know what I should do next. I
> guess I need to create a merge request on gitlab?

You should make sure you have a branch and create a merge request on
GitLab, they'll likely be some review which might mean editing the code
to get it in. Make sure it's up to date with trunk and there's no loose
ends etc.

There may be some delays if the feature is big as we're trying to gear
up for the 1.0 release. So new features are being looked at in terms of
their risk to the rest of the functionality. But don't worry, we'll get
it in in the end.

Thanks for the contribution and putting in the work to get it upstream.