Examples For Presentation on Inkscape

Kevin Wixson
Inkscape Artists,

I'm giving a presentation on Inkscape at my local LUG on the 21st, and I
need some really outstanding examples of work done in Inkscape so I can
really wow them. I've looked at the Wiki page and will be linking to
some of the work I found there, but I really need some more examples I
can actually put in my OOo Impress presentation, which will subsequently
be published on the LUG's web site.

I'm interested in receiving examples of your best work of any variety,
short bio information (with hyperlink, if applicable), and copyright
licensing details, so that I can use them as I've described. Please send
to [hidden email] .

Also, I would sincerely appreciate an SVG drawing of the Bezier curve
mathematical formula. It's for use in the same, but may have other
applications as well.

Thank you very much.

-Kevin Wixson

Re: [Inkscape-devel] Examples For Presentation on Inkscape

MenTaLguY
Quoting Kevin Wixson <[hidden email]>:

> Also, I would sincerely appreciate an SVG drawing of the Bezier
> curve mathematical formula. It's for use in the same, but may have
> other applications as well.

Could you elaborate on what you need?  There are several different
ways of expressing it.  What aspects do you want the illustration
to highlight?

-mental

Re: Examples For Presentation on Inkscape

Ted Gould
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Kevin Wixson wrote:
> I'm giving a presentation on Inkscape at my local LUG on the 21st, and I
> need some really outstanding examples of work done in Inkscape so I can
> really wow them. I've looked at the Wiki page and will be linking to
> some of the work I found there, but I really need some more examples I
> can actually put in my OOo Impress presentation, which will subsequently
> be published on the LUG's web site.

Well, it's not art, but you're welcome to use any elements of
presentations that I've done on/with Inkscape.  (I keep meaning to get
them in CVS, I will someday)  Anway, the most recent is here:

http://gould.cx/ted/presentations/scale/
http://gould.cx/ted/presentations/scale/inkscape-scale-pres.tar.gz

Here is the math that I use to describe Bezier Curves:

http://gould.cx/ted/presentations/asu/index.php?slide=13

Though, I find the pictures before that help people alot more.  I just
include the math because otherwise someone asks, and it is nearly
impossible to explain without a slide.  I go over it quickly though.

                --Ted

[hidden email] wrote:

>Quoting Kevin Wixson <[hidden email]>:
>

>>Also, I would sincerely appreciate an SVG drawing of the Bezier
>>curve mathematical formula. It's for use in the same, but may have
>>other applications as well.
>>

>Could you elaborate on what you need?  There are several different
>ways of expressing it.  What aspects do you want the illustration
>to highlight?
>
>-mental

Well, I'd like to show a representational sample of material with
everything from simple icons to elaborate, near photo realistic
illustrations. I would like to demonstrate the breadth of utility of the
application as well as the possible complexity of illustrations created
with Inkscape. So, there will be some icons shown, some clipart (from
openclipart.org), some abstract "wallpaper" gradient laden kind of
stuff, some "cartoon" quality drawings, and hopefully some fully
developed artistic compositions of representational art. The
presentation should show a sampling of the many various purposes to
which people put Inkscape to use.

It's the last one that I think I might come up short on, so I'm probably
most especially interested in complete, non-abstract, illustrations that
seem like something you'd see up in an art gallery.

Thanks for your interest and help.

PS.. Some people have also asked for clarification about the drawing of
the Bezier curve formula I'm requesting. What I'm actually interested in
is the representation I saw when my college instructor drew it on the
board. It had a big Greek symbol in it with vector symbols (the arrows)
and bits above and below and I'm not sure what all else, but it's
something that isn't done with the normal ASCII characters in a row. I
don't precisely know what it's made up of or how to describe it or else
I certainly would have made it by myself. But since I don't know how,
I'm asking for help.

-Kevin

Re: [Inkscape-devel] Examples For Presentation on Inkscape

MenTaLguY
Quoting Kevin Wixson <[hidden email]>:

> PS.. Some people have also asked for clarification about the
> drawing of the Bezier curve formula I'm requesting. What I'm
> actually interested in is the representation I saw when my
> college instructor drew it on the board. It had a big Greek
> symbol in it with vector symbols (the arrows) and bits above
> and below and I'm not sure what all else, but it's something
> that isn't done with the normal ASCII characters in a row.
> I don't precisely know what it's made up of or how to describe
> it or else I certainly would have made it by myself. But since
> I don't know how, I'm asking for help.

Hmm.  I'm not sure how to depict this.

If you have something handy to render TeX, this TeX fragment will
render the general form of the parametric bezier curve function:

 B(t) = \sum_{k=0}^N {P_k}{N! \over k!(N - k)!}{t^k}(1 - t)^{N-k}

N is one less than the number of control points; the control points
are named P_0 through P_N, and t is the position along the curve
(ranging from 0.0 through 1.0).

That's the ultra-generic form, though.  In Inkscape, we pretty much
only deal with cubic beziers (four control points), which means
N=3.  With N=3, the above simplifies to:

 B(t) = {P_0}(1 - t)^3 + {P_1}3{t}(1 - t)^2 + {P_2}3{t^2}(1 - t) +
{P_3}{t^3}

In practical graphics programming, this is often reformulated as a
simple cubic equation with appropriate coefficients:

\begin{matrix} B(t) & = & {C_2}t^3 + {C_1}t^2 + {C_0}t + P_0
\mbox{ where} \\
 \quad C_0 & = & 3(P_1 - P_0) \\
 \quad C_1 & = & 3(P_2 - P_1) - C_0 \\
 \quad C_2 & = & P_3 - P_0 - C_0 - C_1 \end{matrix}

(math-heads will have to forgive my clumsy TeX; this is not my
field)

This last one isn't as sexy looking, but it's what we actually use,
more or less.  The first and last of the four control points
correspond to path nodes, and the second and third correspond to
control handles.  Multi-node curves actually just place these cubic
curves end-to-end so they share starting and ending points.

You may also be interested in De Casteljau's algorithm, which is
what makes Beziers so convenient for computers to work with.  It
also looks cool when illustrated graphically.

(De Casteljau basically just means that you can pick an arbitrary t
-- 0.5 is typical -- and subdivide the bezier at that point to
produce two smaller, flatter curves of the same degree which fit
together to make the original curve.  Do this enough times and you
can just draw the flattish beziers as straight line segments.  Very
easy way for computers to draw them.  The algorithm has other handy
uses too.)

(Actually, you can see De Casteljau in action by selecting two
adjacent nodes in Inkscape and hitting the "insert node" button
repeatedly to subdivide.  It's the algorithm used to find those
subdivisions.)

I probably won't have time to do up SVG versions of these myself, so
if someone else wants to take a stab at it, they're welcome to do
so...

-mental

Re: Examples For Presentation on Inkscape

Nicu Buculei (OCAL)
Kevin Wixson wrote:
> I'm giving a presentation on Inkscape at my local LUG on the 21st, and I
> need some really outstanding examples of work done in Inkscape so I can
> really wow them. I've looked at the Wiki page and will be linking to
> some of the work I found there, but I really need some more examples I
> can actually put in my OOo Impress presentation, which will subsequently
> be published on the LUG's web site.

I can't show you something outstanding, but a few unpolished works
exploring some ideas:

- 3 steps on how to use Inkscape to create RPG maps:
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2005/04/game-map-editing.html
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2005/04/game-map-editing-part-deux.html
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2005/04/game-map-editing-finale.html

- a "Potato Head" puzzle:
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2005/05/one-potato-two-potatos.html

- some website buttons and banners:
http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/galleries/marketing/web_buttons/
http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/galleries/marketing/web_banners/

--
nicu

Re: Examples For Presentation on Inkscape

Ralf Stephan

> I'm interested in receiving examples of your best work of any variety,

Or maybe something completely different (medical educational drawings)?

http://www.ark.in-berlin.de/neuropics.html

ralf