Extension to create simple texture

Andrew Kurn
I have written an extension to fill a rectangle with
parallel lines, regular or random for use as a texture.

Have a look here for doc, pictures and download:
https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/

I will load pix to the gallery soon.

Andrew

Re: Extension to create simple texture

Victor Westmann
Hi Brynn, Maren, Martin, (and community)

Do you know what Andrew has to do to make his extension to show up in the Extensions Gallery of the project? https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/%3Dextension/

Regards,

--Victor Westmann

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have written an extension to fill a rectangle with
parallel lines, regular or random for use as a texture.

Have a look here for doc, pictures and download:
https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/

I will load pix to the gallery soon.

Andrew

Re: Extension to create simple texture

Maren Hachmann
Am 05.07.2018 um 03:58 schrieb Victor Westmann:
> Hi Brynn, Maren, Martin, (and community)
>
> Do you know what Andrew has to do to make his extension to show up in
> the Extensions Gallery of the project?
> https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/%3Dextension/

Anyone who would like to share their extension via the inkscape.org
website's gallery can read up on how to do that here:
https://inkscape.org/en/develop/extensions/#sharing-your-extension

Maren

> Regards,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I have written an extension to fill a rectangle with
>     parallel lines, regular or random for use as a texture.
>
>     Have a look here for doc, pictures and download:
>     https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/
>     <https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/>
>
>     I will load pix to the gallery soon.
>
>     Andrew

Re: Extension to create simple texture

Victor Westmann
Thank you very much Maren. :)

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018, 7:22 PM Maren Hachmann, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 05.07.2018 um 03:58 schrieb Victor Westmann:
> Hi Brynn, Maren, Martin, (and community)
>
> Do you know what Andrew has to do to make his extension to show up in
> the Extensions Gallery of the project?
> https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/%3Dextension/

Anyone who would like to share their extension via the inkscape.org
website's gallery can read up on how to do that here:
https://inkscape.org/en/develop/extensions/#sharing-your-extension

Maren

> Regards,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I have written an extension to fill a rectangle with
>     parallel lines, regular or random for use as a texture.
>
>     Have a look here for doc, pictures and download:
>     https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/
>     <https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/>
>
>     I will load pix to the gallery soon.
>
>     Andrew

Re: Extension to create simple texture

_ makiimai
It's a bit off topic but before this topic. If anyone can quick advice for installing extensions.

For Windows, "C:>>Users>>user name>>AppData>>Roaming>>Inkscape". --My Windows does not show AppData but "Inkscape" is there.

Then, opened this "Inkscape", the options are: lib, share, a number of lib-prefixed extentions that are .dll files and the inkscape application itself. --I'm not sure if .gpl file can simply be added here.

If following "Edit > Preferences > System: User extensions", the space has been occupied with: C:\Users\myName\AppData\Roaming\inkscape\extentions (\is backslash), there is no room to add something new. Before that, I do not want change if no option to go ahead from there.

I want to see the extensions.
maki

2018年7月5日(木) 12:17 Victor Westmann <[hidden email]>:
Thank you very much Maren. :)

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018, 7:22 PM Maren Hachmann, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 05.07.2018 um 03:58 schrieb Victor Westmann:
> Hi Brynn, Maren, Martin, (and community)
>
> Do you know what Andrew has to do to make his extension to show up in
> the Extensions Gallery of the project?
> https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/%3Dextension/

Anyone who would like to share their extension via the inkscape.org
website's gallery can read up on how to do that here:
https://inkscape.org/en/develop/extensions/#sharing-your-extension

Maren

> Regards,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I have written an extension to fill a rectangle with
>     parallel lines, regular or random for use as a texture.
>
>     Have a look here for doc, pictures and download:
>     https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/
>     <https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/>
>
>     I will load pix to the gallery soon.
>
>     Andrew

Extension gallery - how to?

Andrew Kurn
On Thu  5 Jul 2018 04:21 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 05.07.2018 um 03:58 schrieb Victor Westmann:
> > Hi Brynn, Maren, Martin, (and community)
> >
> > Do you know what Andrew has to do to make his extension to show up in
> > the Extensions Gallery of the project?
> > https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/%3Dextension/
>
> Anyone who would like to share their extension via the inkscape.org
> website's gallery can read up on how to do that here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/develop/extensions/#sharing-your-extension
>
> Maren

Yes, I /did/ read that.  It contains some valuable clues
(like thumbnails must be 190 x 190 px . . . for which
there is no error message from the site), but it didn't
tell how to do what Victor wants.

Perhaps there's a moderator?  Are we waiting for human
intervention?

Andrew

Re: Extension gallery - how to?

Brynn
I see 3 images attributed to Andrew Kurn in the main gallery.  (Switch to Order
By > Last Updated, to see them.)  And I see the Streaks extension in the
Extension category, which is what we would expect.   (Probably need Last Updated
to see it on the first page of Extension category, too.)

Is that what you're asking for?  Or what Victor is asking for?

Since the other 2 images are just showing examples....and properly placed in
Screenshot catagory....well, there are probably several options.  The one that
jumps into my mind first, is to edit the description on the extension image
page, and place links to the example images in the description.

Or another  idea might be to make a different image to represent the
extension -- one which shows a few, or maybe even several examples.  I guess
that might result in a fairly large, or even huge image though....  So maybe not
the best idea, haha.

But seriously, an image showing the extension being used as a texture with other
images might be nice too.

I didn't realize there was a requirement for thumbnails to be a certain size.  I
wonder if that might have been a suggestion for the size which works best?

(If there is a requirement, perhaps some kind of instruction should be showing
(or as you suggested, an error during upload)?)

Hopefully something in all that answers your questions?  If not, please clarify
:-)

Am 05.07.2018 um 08:19 schrieb Andrew Kurn:

> On Thu  5 Jul 2018 04:21 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>>
>> Am 05.07.2018 um 03:58 schrieb Victor Westmann:
>>> Hi Brynn, Maren, Martin, (and community)
>>>
>>> Do you know what Andrew has to do to make his extension to show up in
>>> the Extensions Gallery of the project?
>>> https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/%3Dextension/
>>
>> Anyone who would like to share their extension via the inkscape.org
>> website's gallery can read up on how to do that here:
>> https://inkscape.org/en/develop/extensions/#sharing-your-extension
>>
>> Maren
>

> Yes, I /did/ read that.  It contains some valuable clues
> (like thumbnails must be 190 x 190 px . . . for which
> there is no error message from the site), but it didn't
> tell how to do what Victor wants.
>
> Perhaps there's a moderator?  Are we waiting for human
> intervention?

- Brynn is a moderator, and I can access the site as an admin.

But it is currently unclear to me what the problem is.
I answered Victor's question, didn't follow the thread closely.

If you are asking for someone to fix something up for you, please
summarize the problem like this:

- the link to your upload
- what is wrong with it
- what you'd like to have changed in which way

 Maren

Am 05.07.2018 um 08:12 schrieb _ makiimai:
> It's a bit off topic but before this topic. If anyone can quick advice
> for installing extensions.
>
> For Windows, "C:>>Users>>user name>>AppData>>Roaming>>Inkscape". --My
> Windows does not show AppData but "Inkscape" is there.
>
> Then, opened this "Inkscape", the options are: lib, share, a number of
> lib-prefixed extentions that are .dll files and the inkscape application
> itself. --I'm not sure if .gpl file can simply be added here.

- No.

> If following "Edit > Preferences > System: User extensions", the space
> has been occupied with:
> C:\Users\myName\AppData\Roaming\inkscape\extentions (\is backslash),
> there is no room to add something new. Before that, I do not want change
> if no option to go ahead from there.

- You cannot change it there, it only displays where you must put any
downloaded, non-stock extensions.

Open your file manager and browse to the address (copy-paste it, else
you can get typing errors, as in your above path).

If the folder does not exist, create it.

Then put your downloaded extension (usually a .py and a .inx file) into
that folder.

.gpl is not an extension file format, but a color palette file format.

If you want to add a new color palette to Inkscape, create the folder
C:\Users\myName\AppData\Roaming\inkscape\palettes
then put the .gpl file into it.

This is also described in the FAQ at
https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/#how-install-new-extensions-palettes-document-templates-symbol-sets-icon-sets-etc
.

Maren

> I want to see the extensions.
> maki
>

> 2018年7月5日(木) 12:17 Victor Westmann <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Thank you very much Maren. :)
>
>     On Wed, Jul 4, 2018, 7:22 PM Maren Hachmann,
>
>         Am 05.07.2018 um 03:58 schrieb Victor Westmann:
>         > Hi Brynn, Maren, Martin, (and community)
>         >
>         > Do you know what Andrew has to do to make his extension to
>         show up in
>         > the Extensions Gallery of the project?
>         > https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/%3Dextension/
>
>         Anyone who would like to share their extension via the
>         inkscape.org <http://inkscape.org>
>         website's gallery can read up on how to do that here:
>         https://inkscape.org/en/develop/extensions/#sharing-your-extension
>
>         Maren
>
>         > Regards,
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > --Victor Westmann
>         >
>         > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>         >
>         >     I have written an extension to fill a rectangle with
>         >     parallel lines, regular or random for use as a texture.
>         >
>         >     Have a look here for doc, pictures and download:
>         >     https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/
>         >     <https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/>
>         >
>         >     I will load pix to the gallery soon.
>         >
>         >     Andrew
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >     [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>         >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>         >

Re: Extension gallery - how to?

Andrew Kurn
On Thu  5 Jul 2018 03:00 -0600, brynn wrote:

> I see 3 images
[. . .]
> description on the extension image page, and place links to the
> example images in the description.

OK.  Done.

If there is a different markup syntax for URLs, I didn't
find it.  Is there?

> I didn't realize there was a requirement for thumbnails to be a
> certain size.  I wonder if that might have been a suggestion for the
> size which works best?
>
> (If there is a requirement, perhaps some kind of instruction should
> be showing (or as you suggested, an error during upload)?)

What happens is that you can upload an oversize image, but
it doesn't appear.  The cardboard box shows
instead.  Some sort of error message would be nice.

Andrew

Re: Extension to create simple texture

_ makiimai
Thank you very much Maren.

Still wondering that  >>AppData>>Roaming  part is hidden in my pc is a problem.

Thank you very much Andrew.

I'm following your suggestions.

maki

2018年7月5日(木) 22:18 Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>         Maren
>
>         > Regards,
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > --Victor Westmann
>         >
>         > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Andrew Kurn <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>         >
>         >     I have written an extension to fill a rectangle with
>         >     parallel lines, regular or random for use as a texture.
>         >
>         >     Have a look here for doc, pictures and download:
>         >     https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/
>         >     <https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape-streaks/wiki/Streaks/>
>         >
>         >     I will load pix to the gallery soon.

alvinpenner
>> Still wondering that  >>AppData>>Roaming  part is hidden in my pc is a
problem.

this is normal on a Windows machine. Windows will hide the AppData directory
by default. If you are in Windows Explorer, and if you navigate to
C:\Users\username\, then you will have to manually type in the AppData
subdirectory. Once you do that, you will then be able to see and use the
Roaming subdirectory and also the Inkscape directory beneath it.

hth,
Alvin

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-User-f2857977.html

Re: Extension gallery - how to?

> What happens is that you can upload an oversize image, but
it doesn't appear.  The cardboard box shows
instead.  Some sort of error message would be nice.

I think the cardboard box image indicates a ZIP file or a tar.gz or tar.bz or
some kind of file like that.  (Are they called compressed formats??)

I'm not positive, but could that be the case with the large file you're trying
to upload?

I'm actually not sure if we have size limit for uploaded files.  I guess we
probably do, but I don't know what it is.

But try uploading it by itself.  Just the PNG or SVG or whatever format it is,
but not ZIP or the other types I mentioned.

Let us know how it goes  :-)

On Thu  5 Jul 2018 03:00 -0600, brynn wrote:

> I see 3 images
[. . .]
> description on the extension image page, and place links to the
> example images in the description.

OK.  Done.

If there is a different markup syntax for URLs, I didn't
find it.  Is there?

> I didn't realize there was a requirement for thumbnails to be a
> certain size.  I wonder if that might have been a suggestion for the
> size which works best?
>
> (If there is a requirement, perhaps some kind of instruction should
> be showing (or as you suggested, an error during upload)?)

What happens is that you can upload an oversize image, but
it doesn't appear.  The cardboard box shows
instead.  Some sort of error message would be nice.

Andrew

Re: Extension gallery - how to?

doctormo
Yes, there's a fixed size limit upload the server will wait for (100MB
I think) and then there's your quota, 10MB per person unless otherwise
adjusted.

Martin, Webmaster Hat

On Sun, 2018-07-08 at 14:59 -0600, brynn wrote:

> > What happens is that you can upload an oversize image, but
>
> it doesn't appear.  The cardboard box shows
> instead.  Some sort of error message would be nice.
>
> I think the cardboard box image indicates a ZIP file or a tar.gz or
> tar.bz or
> some kind of file like that.  (Are they called compressed formats??)
>
> I'm not positive, but could that be the case with the large file
> you're trying
> to upload?
>
> I'm actually not sure if we have size limit for uploaded files.  I
> guess we
> probably do, but I don't know what it is.
>
> But try uploading it by itself.  Just the PNG or SVG or whatever
> format it is,
> but not ZIP or the other types I mentioned.
>
> Let us know how it goes  :-)
>
> brynn

Re: Extension gallery - how to?

Andrew Kurn
On Sun  8 Jul 2018 14:59 -0600, brynn wrote:

> >What happens is that you can upload an oversize image, but
> it doesn't appear.  The cardboard box shows
> instead.  Some sort of error message would be nice.
>
> I think the cardboard box image indicates a ZIP file or a tar.gz or
> tar.bz or some kind of file like that.  (Are they called compressed
> formats??)

Yes, exactly.

> I'm not positive, but could that be the case with the large file
> you're trying to upload?
>
> I'm actually not sure if we have size limit for uploaded files.  I
> guess we probably do, but I don't know what it is.
>
> But try uploading it by itself.  Just the PNG or SVG or whatever
> format it is, but not ZIP or the other types I mentioned.

Please, let me start over.  I see some miscommunication.

When I upload an /extension/ first I see a page with 2 upload icons,
box and a big white arrow.  After I upload the extension the lefthand one
becomes a cardboard box.  The righthand one is for a picture to go with
it.  It appears in the gallery of extensions.

For the picture, if I upload just any old picture, the cardboard box
is what appears in the gallery, not what I uploaded.  The pic has
to be 190 x 190 before it will appear.

So /that's/ what I'm talking about when I say an error msg would help --
then, when I'm uploading the pic, it would be good to know it's too big
to work.

Yes?

Andrew

Re: Extension gallery - how to?

doctormo
Hi Andrew,

This is how the system work:

 1) Primary download file field
  type: can be any type of file
  limits: subject to restrictions by the selected category, license and
your quota limit
  shows-as: "Choose a file..."
  used-in: download button and full-view button (for images)

 2) Rendering file field
  type: raster images only
  size: resized to 780x600 or smaller upon upload.
  shows-as: "Choose visible image..."
  generated: It will be generated from the download field should the
download field be an image and none user specified. We currently don't
render svg files though.
  used-in: item view page, if not available thumbnail is used on the
page.

 3) Thumbnail file field
  type: raster images only
  size: resized to 190x190 or smaller upon generation
  show-as: NOT SHOWN TO USER in the upload field
  generated: Always generated from the 'rendering field' after the
rendering field is possibly generated from the download field.
  used-in: gallery listings, if not available a mime-type icon is used
in it's place.

The upload form is configured to give errors ranging from image-size,
file-size and many other such errors. If there's a situation where you
upload a rendering and it only appears as a 190x190 thumbnail and the
original image seems to have been eaten by a gru, let me know, this is
a bug.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
WEBSITE.info