Fill between strokes

Robert Funnell
I've been trying to figure out how to use the 'Fill between strokes'
path effect in 0.92 but I can't figure out what sequence of operations
to use, or what the 'Link to path' and 'Select original' buttons are
supposed to do. I've searched for instructions or tutorials without
finding anything that matches what I'm seeing in 0.92. Can someone
please point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

- Robert

Re: Fill between strokes

Maren Hachmann
Did you see this in the release notes:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92#Fill_between_Strokes

Start reading in the section above, with 'Fill between many'.

Maren

Am 07.01.2017 um 18:24 schrieb Robert Funnell:

> I've been trying to figure out how to use the 'Fill between strokes'
> path effect in 0.92 but I can't figure out what sequence of operations
> to use, or what the 'Link to path' and 'Select original' buttons are
> supposed to do. I've searched for instructions or tutorials without
> finding anything that matches what I'm seeing in 0.92. Can someone
> please point me in the right direction?
>
> Thank you.
>
> - Robert

Re: Fill between strokes

Victor Westmann
Hi there,

If I got your question right I know a tutorial I just saw these days that seems to do something very similar to what your asking me.

Please check this video (if you want to see it entirely just remove the end of the URL)

I put exactly where I believe it shows this effect (9'37").

Cheers!

--Victor Westmann

I've been trying to figure out how to use the 'Fill between strokes'
path effect in 0.92 but I can't figure out what sequence of operations
to use, or what the 'Link to path' and 'Select original' buttons are
supposed to do. I've searched for instructions or tutorials without
finding anything that matches what I'm seeing in 0.92. Can someone
please point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

- Robert

Re: Fill between strokes

Robert Funnell
Maren -

Yes, I read that, thanks, but I don't understand the procedure. I
select a path, I do Path > Path Effects and add 'Fill between many' or
'Fill between strokes', but then what do I do? If I click on a 'Link
to path' button, nothing happens; if I then select some other path, it
just brings up its own empty Path Effects dialogue. I think I'm
missing something obvious.

- Robert

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Did you see this in the release notes:
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92#Fill_between_Strokes
>
> Start reading in the section above, with 'Fill between many'.
>
> Maren
>
> Am 07.01.2017 um 18:24 schrieb Robert Funnell:
>> I've been trying to figure out how to use the 'Fill between strokes'
>> path effect in 0.92 but I can't figure out what sequence of operations
>> to use, or what the 'Link to path' and 'Select original' buttons are
>> supposed to do. I've searched for instructions or tutorials without
>> finding anything that matches what I'm seeing in 0.92. Can someone
>> please point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> - Robert

Re: Fill between strokes

Maren Hachmann
Am 07.01.2017 um 22:37 schrieb Robert Funnell:
> Maren -
>
> Yes, I read that, thanks, but I don't understand the procedure. I
> select a path, I do Path > Path Effects and add 'Fill between many' or
> 'Fill between strokes', but then what do I do? If I click on a 'Link
> to path' button, nothing happens; if I then select some other path, it
> just brings up its own empty Path Effects dialogue. I think I'm
> missing something obvious.

The LPE works best with multiple open stroked paths.

The first path you select, that has the effect, is just a 'container'.
It will become invisible (or rather, turn in to the fill), as soon as
you have selected two paths where the space in between shall be filled.

So, make arbitrary path (usually a filled, without stroke). Apply live
path effect.

Draw your drawing, e.g. a face that consists of loosely connected lines,
there may be gaps. Each line should be a single object. For the effect,
you will want all paths to have a stroke. They do not need to have a fill.

Now copy one object of those, and 'insert' into the LPE (bottom left
button).

Repeat for each object, adjust 'reverse' option as needed to fill the
area in between. Reorder objects if necessary, to get the fill border to
connect the correct ends.

Try it out :)

> - Robert
>
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>
>> Did you see this in the release notes:
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92#Fill_between_Strokes
>>
>> Start reading in the section above, with 'Fill between many'.
>>
>> Maren
>>
>> Am 07.01.2017 um 18:24 schrieb Robert Funnell:
>>> I've been trying to figure out how to use the 'Fill between strokes'
>>> path effect in 0.92 but I can't figure out what sequence of operations
>>> to use, or what the 'Link to path' and 'Select original' buttons are
>>> supposed to do. I've searched for instructions or tutorials without
>>> finding anything that matches what I'm seeing in 0.92. Can someone
>>> please point me in the right direction?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> - Robert

Re: Fill between strokes

Maren Hachmann
Just to clarify:
This was the description for 'Fill between Many',
'Fill between Strokes' does the same, but with just two paths (+
container/fill).

Maren

Am 07.01.2017 um 23:21 schrieb Maren Hachmann:

> Am 07.01.2017 um 22:37 schrieb Robert Funnell:
>> Maren -
>>
>> Yes, I read that, thanks, but I don't understand the procedure. I
>> select a path, I do Path > Path Effects and add 'Fill between many' or
>> 'Fill between strokes', but then what do I do? If I click on a 'Link
>> to path' button, nothing happens; if I then select some other path, it
>> just brings up its own empty Path Effects dialogue. I think I'm
>> missing something obvious.
>
> The LPE works best with multiple open stroked paths.
>
> The first path you select, that has the effect, is just a 'container'.
> It will become invisible (or rather, turn in to the fill), as soon as
> you have selected two paths where the space in between shall be filled.
>
> So, make arbitrary path (usually a filled, without stroke). Apply live
> path effect.
>
> Draw your drawing, e.g. a face that consists of loosely connected lines,
> there may be gaps. Each line should be a single object. For the effect,
> you will want all paths to have a stroke. They do not need to have a fill.
>
> Now copy one object of those, and 'insert' into the LPE (bottom left
> button).
>
> Repeat for each object, adjust 'reverse' option as needed to fill the
> area in between. Reorder objects if necessary, to get the fill border to
> connect the correct ends.
>
> Try it out :)
>
> Regards,
>  Maren
>
>> - Robert
>>
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>>
>>> Did you see this in the release notes:
>>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92#Fill_between_Strokes
>>>
>>> Start reading in the section above, with 'Fill between many'.
>>>
>>> Maren

Re: Fill between strokes

Robert Funnell
Aha! Now I get it :-) Both 'between many' and 'between strokes' now
work for me. Thank you very much.

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 07.01.2017 um 22:37 schrieb Robert Funnell:
>> Maren -
>>
>> Yes, I read that, thanks, but I don't understand the procedure. I
>> select a path, I do Path > Path Effects and add 'Fill between many' or
>> 'Fill between strokes', but then what do I do? If I click on a 'Link
>> to path' button, nothing happens; if I then select some other path, it
>> just brings up its own empty Path Effects dialogue. I think I'm
>> missing something obvious.
>
> The LPE works best with multiple open stroked paths.
>
> The first path you select, that has the effect, is just a 'container'.
> It will become invisible (or rather, turn in to the fill), as soon as
> you have selected two paths where the space in between shall be filled.
>
> So, make arbitrary path (usually a filled, without stroke). Apply live
> path effect.
>
> Draw your drawing, e.g. a face that consists of loosely connected lines,
> there may be gaps. Each line should be a single object. For the effect,
> you will want all paths to have a stroke. They do not need to have a fill.
>
> Now copy one object of those, and 'insert' into the LPE (bottom left
> button).
>
> Repeat for each object, adjust 'reverse' option as needed to fill the
> area in between. Reorder objects if necessary, to get the fill border to
> connect the correct ends.
>
> Try it out :)
>
> Regards,
> Maren
>
>> - Robert
>>
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>>
>>> Did you see this in the release notes:
>>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92#Fill_between_Strokes
>>>
>>> Start reading in the section above, with 'Fill between many'.
>>>
>>> Maren

Re: Fill between strokes

Robert Funnell
Playing with it some more ...

For 'Fill between many', in the Path Effects dialogue the paste icon
is a page icon with a red X in it instead of being a clipboard icon. I
guess that's a bug? This is 0.92.0 r15299 under Windows.

For 'Fill between strokes', if I apply a stroke attribute to the
container then a line joining the strokes is added only at one end of
the strokes and not at both ends. Is that supposed to be what happens?

- Robert

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 07.01.2017 um 22:37 schrieb Robert Funnell:
>> Maren -
>>
>> Yes, I read that, thanks, but I don't understand the procedure. I
>> select a path, I do Path > Path Effects and add 'Fill between many' or
>> 'Fill between strokes', but then what do I do? If I click on a 'Link
>> to path' button, nothing happens; if I then select some other path, it
>> just brings up its own empty Path Effects dialogue. I think I'm
>> missing something obvious.
>
> The LPE works best with multiple open stroked paths.
>
> The first path you select, that has the effect, is just a 'container'.
> It will become invisible (or rather, turn in to the fill), as soon as
> you have selected two paths where the space in between shall be filled.
>
> So, make arbitrary path (usually a filled, without stroke). Apply live
> path effect.
>
> Draw your drawing, e.g. a face that consists of loosely connected lines,
> there may be gaps. Each line should be a single object. For the effect,
> you will want all paths to have a stroke. They do not need to have a fill.
>
> Now copy one object of those, and 'insert' into the LPE (bottom left
> button).
>
> Repeat for each object, adjust 'reverse' option as needed to fill the
> area in between. Reorder objects if necessary, to get the fill border to
> connect the correct ends.
>
> Try it out :)
>
> Regards,
> Maren
>
>> - Robert
>>
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>>
>>> Did you see this in the release notes:
>>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92#Fill_between_Strokes
>>>
>>> Start reading in the section above, with 'Fill between many'.
>>>
>>> Maren

Re: Fill between strokes

Maren Hachmann
Am 07.01.2017 um 23:49 schrieb Robert Funnell:
> Playing with it some more ...
>
> For 'Fill between many', in the Path Effects dialogue the paste icon
> is a page icon with a red X in it instead of being a clipboard icon. I
> guess that's a bug? This is 0.92.0 r15299 under Windows.

- Yes. It's the same for me on Linux, btw. Don't know if there's a
report anywhere, maybe you can browse the bug section at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape ?

> For 'Fill between strokes', if I apply a stroke attribute to the
> container then a line joining the strokes is added only at one end of
> the strokes and not at both ends. Is that supposed to be what happens?

- I'm not sure there. If you comment on the video here:
https://inkscape.org/en/~jabiertxof/%E2%98%85inkscape-092-showcase, I'm
sure Jabier will answer that question.

> - Robert
>

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>
>> Am 07.01.2017 um 22:37 schrieb Robert Funnell:
>>> Maren -
>>>
>>> Yes, I read that, thanks, but I don't understand the procedure. I
>>> select a path, I do Path > Path Effects and add 'Fill between many' or
>>> 'Fill between strokes', but then what do I do? If I click on a 'Link
>>> to path' button, nothing happens; if I then select some other path, it
>>> just brings up its own empty Path Effects dialogue. I think I'm
>>> missing something obvious.
>>
>> The LPE works best with multiple open stroked paths.
>>
>> The first path you select, that has the effect, is just a 'container'.
>> It will become invisible (or rather, turn in to the fill), as soon as
>> you have selected two paths where the space in between shall be filled.
>>
>> So, make arbitrary path (usually a filled, without stroke). Apply live
>> path effect.
>>
>> Draw your drawing, e.g. a face that consists of loosely connected lines,
>> there may be gaps. Each line should be a single object. For the effect,
>> you will want all paths to have a stroke. They do not need to have a fill.
>>
>> Now copy one object of those, and 'insert' into the LPE (bottom left
>> button).
>>
>> Repeat for each object, adjust 'reverse' option as needed to fill the
>> area in between. Reorder objects if necessary, to get the fill border to
>> connect the correct ends.
>>
>> Try it out :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maren
>>
>>> - Robert

Re: Fill between strokes

Robert Funnell
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 07.01.2017 um 23:49 schrieb Robert Funnell:
>> Playing with it some more ...
>>
>> For 'Fill between many', in the Path Effects dialogue the paste icon
>> is a page icon with a red X in it instead of being a clipboard icon. I
>> guess that's a bug? This is 0.92.0 r15299 under Windows.
>
> - Yes. It's the same for me on Linux, btw. Don't know if there's a
> report anywhere, maybe you can browse the bug section at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape ?

I followed your advice and reported this as a bug (#1654798) and
patches have already been submitted by su_v.

>> For 'Fill between strokes', if I apply a stroke attribute to the
>> container then a line joining the strokes is added only at one end of
>> the strokes and not at both ends. Is that supposed to be what happens?
>
> - I'm not sure there. If you comment on the video here:
> https://inkscape.org/en/~jabiertxof/%E2%98%85inkscape-092-showcase, I'm
> sure Jabier will answer that question.

I also (not following your advice) reported this as a bug (#1654808).
However, it seems that it's actually a feature, not a bug.

Thank you for your prompt help.

- Robert

>>> The LPE works best with multiple open stroked paths.
>>>
>>> The first path you select, that has the effect, is just a 'container'.
>>> It will become invisible (or rather, turn in to the fill), as soon as
>>> you have selected two paths where the space in between shall be filled.
>>>
>>> So, make arbitrary path (usually a filled, without stroke). Apply live
>>> path effect.
>>>
>>> Draw your drawing, e.g. a face that consists of loosely connected lines,
>>> there may be gaps. Each line should be a single object. For the effect,
>>> you will want all paths to have a stroke. They do not need to have a fill.
>>>
>>> Now copy one object of those, and 'insert' into the LPE (bottom left
>>> button).
>>>
>>> Repeat for each object, adjust 'reverse' option as needed to fill the
>>> area in between. Reorder objects if necessary, to get the fill border to
>>> connect the correct ends.
>>>
>>> Try it out :)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Maren

Re: Fill between strokes

Maren Hachmann

Am 08.01.2017 um 13:39 schrieb Robert Funnell:

> I followed your advice and reported this as a bug (#1654798) and
> patches have already been submitted by su_v.
>
>>> For 'Fill between strokes', if I apply a stroke attribute to the
>>> container then a line joining the strokes is added only at one end of
>>> the strokes and not at both ends. Is that supposed to be what happens?
>>
>> - I'm not sure there. If you comment on the video here:
>> https://inkscape.org/en/~jabiertxof/%E2%98%85inkscape-092-showcase, I'm
>> sure Jabier will answer that question.
>
> I also (not following your advice) reported this as a bug (#1654808).
> However, it seems that it's actually a feature, not a bug.
>
> Thank you for your prompt help.

- You're welcome! And thank you for reporting back :D

Maren