Quantcast

Flatpak for Inkscape 0.92

Matthias Vogelgesang
Hi,

is anyone of you interested in a Flatpak recipe or hosting the repo
and/or bundle for Inkscape 0.92? You can find the flatpak-builder
recipe at

  https://github.com/matze/inkscape-flatpak

Personally I do not have the resources to host the repo (93 MB) nor
the bundle (18 MB) for a large amount of users. However I think it
adds value for distro users that do not support snaps.

Best regards,
Matthias

P.S.: I know there used to be a Flatpak for Inkscape but I haven't
found anything at all about it.

--
Matthias Vogelgesang | bloerg.net

Re: Flatpak for Inkscape 0.92

Martin Owens-2
Dear Matthias,

The website can host the Flatpak, let me know what use the flatpak is
and for which platforms.

Once I know that I can direct you to the known person for that platform
who can upload. If this is a new sort of platform upload and you'd be
interested in being the manager, I can upgrade your user account on
inkscape.org and you can upload them yourself.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Inkscape Website Administrator

On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 09:29 +0100, Matthias Vogelgesang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is anyone of you interested in a Flatpak recipe or hosting the repo
> and/or bundle for Inkscape 0.92? You can find the flatpak-builder
> recipe at
>
>   https://github.com/matze/inkscape-flatpak
>
> Personally I do not have the resources to host the repo (93 MB) nor
> the bundle (18 MB) for a large amount of users. However I think it
> adds value for distro users that do not support snaps.
>
> Best regards,
> Matthias
>
> P.S.: I know there used to be a Flatpak for Inkscape but I haven't
> found anything at all about it.

Re: Flatpak for Inkscape 0.92

Matthias Vogelgesang
Dear Martin,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The website can host the Flatpak, let me know what use the flatpak is
> and for which platforms.

I can provide a Flatpak for x86_64 and according to [1] this covers
click-to-install for "Fedora 25, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Debian Testing,
Arch, and Mageia Cauldron" as well as a bit more involved installation
procedure for Ubuntu 16.04+.

> Once I know that I can direct you to the known person for that platform
> who can upload. If this is a new sort of platform upload and you'd be
> interested in being the manager, I can upgrade your user account on
> inkscape.org and you can upload them yourself.

Platform is difficult to define in case of Flatpaks because the idea
is that Flatpaks are somewhat self-contained and independent of the
base distro. If it helps, I just created
https://inkscape.org/en/~matze …

Best regards,
Matthias

[1] http://flatpak.org/apps.html

--
Matthias Vogelgesang | bloerg.net

Re: Flatpak for Inkscape 0.92

Máirín Duffy
Hi Martin,

On 02/14/2017 08:22 AM, Martin Owens wrote:
> The website can host the Flatpak, let me know what use the flatpak is
> and for which platforms.
I think flatpak is a GNOME initiative. We use flatpak in Fedora; if
there were updated Inkscape flatpaks, I am sure the Fedora design team
would be happy to test them and give you feedback.

~m

Re: Flatpak for Inkscape 0.92

Dear Matthias,

> I can provide a Flatpak for x86_64 and according to [1] this covers
> click-to-install for "Fedora 25, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Debian Testing,
> Arch, and Mageia Cauldron" as well as a bit more involved
> installation procedure for Ubuntu 16.04+.

I see so the Gnome version of snaps, msi and dmg

>  If it helps, I just created
> https://inkscape.org/en/~matze …

I've upgraded your account. You should set a GPG public key and sign
your packages when you upload them. Please be mindful that your quota
is set to 2GB, but the server does have limited space so please remove
old uploads where possible.

Let us know when you have a package upload you're happy with so we can
link to them from the downloads pages.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Giver of Quota, Taker of Usernames

Re: Flatpak for Inkscape 0.92

Matthias Vogelgesang
Dear Martin,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I can provide a Flatpak for x86_64 and according to [1] this covers
>> click-to-install for "Fedora 25, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Debian Testing,
>> Arch, and Mageia Cauldron" as well as a bit more involved
>> installation procedure for Ubuntu 16.04+.
>
> I see so the Gnome version of snaps, msi and dmg

Technically, the umbrella project was a freedesktop project and thus
Flatpaks desktop-agnostic, so calling it a GNOME version is a bit far
fetched. But on the other hand you are right, the initiative comes
from Red Hat personnel …

> I've upgraded your account. You should set a GPG public key and sign
> your packages when you upload them. Please be mindful that your quota
> is set to 2GB, but the server does have limited space so please remove
> old uploads where possible.

I uploaded the bundle at

  https://inkscape.org/en/~matze/%E2%98%85inkscapeflatpak

Ideally, you would also host the repository which looks somewhat like
a Git repository containing multiple files. Unlike the Bundle, it
allows users to get the latest updates. But I think for now it's not
super-urgent.

Regards,
Matthias

On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 16:51 +0100, Matthias Vogelgesang wrote:
> But I think for now it's not super-urgent.

Dear Matthias,

For a git repository, we'd probably just point you at gitlab and have
the inkscape flatpak git repository under the inkscape project group.

Does that sound like a good future direction?

Re: Flatpak for Inkscape 0.92

Matthias Vogelgesang
Hi Martin,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For a git repository, we'd probably just point you at gitlab and have
> the inkscape flatpak git repository under the inkscape project group.

I think there's a slight misunderstanding: a flatpak repo is *not* a
Git repo. It stores versions of one or more applications which in that
sense makes it similar but not the same as Git. This for example is
the repo for LibreOffice

  http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/flatpak/repository/

it's basically some directories and files served via http(s), nothing more.

Best regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Vogelgesang | bloerg.net