Friends of Inkscape - A program for individuals and small businesses who want to promote Inkscape

Friends of Inkscape - A program for individuals and small businesses who want to promote Inkscape

C R
There has been an increase in people within the project wanting to give back to Inkscape in the form of donating a percentage of their earnings from Inkscape courses, tutorials, artwork sales, etc.

It's my opinion that we should support this, however like any other public sponsorship of Inkscape, I believe donations of this sort should have some rules to ensure there is no conflict of interest.

Here is a brief summary of the sponsorship rights and responsibilities which I think should take effect if the Inkscape Project will be helping with promotion of sales where a percentage is going to the project:

1. Neutrality: The Inkscape project will not play favourites amongst internal and external sponsors who join as Friends of Inkscape.

2. Transparency: In the case of promotional releases (Facebook, Twitter, G+ etc.), the Inkscape project will make clear the rules and guidelines of using the Inkscape Project's namesake for promotion, keep a tally of funds donated by the sponsor on our website.

3. Non-endorsement policy: Verbiage for press releases should make it clear that the Inkscape Project does not necesarilly endorse the content or views of the sponsor, and the sponsorship is to be treated purely as a fund-raising exercise to benefit the project. Moreover that the sponsor is solely responsible for delivering the product.

4. Quality - The Inkscape project should, before accepting any co-sponsorship agreement, ensure that the products being offered or sold is of sufficient quality, and provide real value to the Inkscape community (basically that the items are worth buying, and not just a scheme to make as much profit as possible without offering sufficient value to the buyers).

5. Commitment - The sponsor should be able to follow up on what they are selling and maintain a good customer satisfaction rating on their chosen commercial platform. The Inkscape Project should take into account the history, ratings, and reviews for products sold by the sponsor to protect Inkscape users.

6. Ongoing - If the project determines at any time that the sponsor is not keeping up with their promised delivery of goods, or the quality or content of the products being sold is not adequate, the project reserves the right to cancel at any time, and for any reason the sponsorship agreement.

7. For-Profit Only - These terms only apply to sponsors who wish the Inkscape Project to advertise these co-sponsorship deals. For example an Inkscape press release could read: "Help raise money for Inkscape, while learning from the professionals! XXXX is generously donating 50% from this professional tutorial course to fund development of Inkscape! Thanks XXXX!) These terms do not apply to folks who just want to donate without any press releases from the Inkscape Project.

8. Honesty - Obviously, we should ensure that sponsors follow up on the promise to donate the stated funds to the Inkscape Project. We can encourage this with a running-total press release, for example: "Donations from XXXX's Inkscape course just passed the £10,000.00 mark! Our next hackfest is fully funded!" etc.

9. Ending a sponsorship - When the sponsor wishes to end the sponsorship deal, it should be made clear that funds are no longer going to the Inkscape Project. This can be done with a thank you press release, like this: XXXX has raised a total of £150,000.00 for Inkscape's development. On behalf of the Inkscape Project, we'd like to thank XXXX for this generous donation and wish them good luck on future projects.

Any thoughts are welcome. :)

Thanks for your attention!

Re: Friends of Inkscape - A program for individuals and small businesses who want to promote Inkscape

Bryce Harrington-3
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:56:27AM +0100, C R wrote:
> There has been an increase in people within the project wanting to give
> back to Inkscape in the form of donating a percentage of their earnings
> from Inkscape courses, tutorials, artwork sales, etc.
>
> It's my opinion that we should support this, however like any other public
> sponsorship of Inkscape, I believe donations of this sort should have some
> rules to ensure there is no conflict of interest.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier - on vacation this week with the fam...
weddings, waterparks, lots of car driving drama.

This is a very solid proposal and very well written, great job.  I
haven't had a chance yet to really digest it and understand all the
implications but this definitely sounds like something we should
consider adopting.  I'd love to see other people's thoughts on the
particulars, and maybe an example of how this might be put into
practice.  We should of course run it by Conservancy to make sure it
isn't going to run afoul of any rules on their end.  Also for parts of
the process that require some humans to do administrative stuff
(e.g. processing requests, reviewing adherance to requirements, handling
problems, etc.) we may want to brainstorm on how to staff that.

I'll try to follow up with more thoughts after other board members have
given their feedback on improvements to it.  Thanks again for doing
this, very thoroughly written.

Bryce

> [...]
> These terms do not apply to folks who just want to donate without any press
> releases from the Inkscape Project.
>
> 8. Honesty - Obviously, we should ensure that sponsors follow up on the
> promise to donate the stated funds to the Inkscape Project. We can
> encourage this with a running-total press release, for example: "Donations
> from XXXX's Inkscape course just passed the £10,000.00 mark! Our next
> hackfest is fully funded!" etc.
>
> 9. Ending a sponsorship - When the sponsor wishes to end the sponsorship
> deal, it should be made clear that funds are no longer going to the
> Inkscape Project. This can be done with a thank you press release, like
> this: XXXX has raised a total of £150,000.00 for Inkscape's development. On
> behalf of the Inkscape Project, we'd like to thank XXXX for this generous
> donation and wish them good luck on future projects.

Re: [Inkscape-board] Friends of Inkscape - A program for individuals and small businesses who want to promote Inkscape

Free Software has never been about stopping people from earning money
doing jobs related to software. We've always been careful of course,
especially since the organisation is a 501.3.

But overall, just like with the website galleries etc, we're generally
in favour of promoting people who use Inkscape in their work, who teach
Inkscape and those who run events.

These are the general rules I would use if I were running such a
business:

 1. Focused: That it must be about Inkscape primarily. (see gallery
rules for example)

 2. Equitable: All similar projects/businesses must be given the same
level of promotion for the same type of activity if they ask for it.
Emphasis, placement, size or timing must not be effected any donations
the business chooses to make back to Inkscape. Keeping supporting the
Inkscape project separate from Inkscape reporting on businesses that
use Inkscape.

 4. Structured: The kind of reporting the project does must be laid out
beforehand. I'd use terms of locality, size and cadence as variables to
decide how and where items should be reported. For example a large
event in France with an international audience, we can have a news
article targeting all languages. Small event in Spain, we could still
do a news article but put it out just in Spanish. Ongoing training
business in Iceland? probably best to have a gallery of such local
training people allowing for more people to have an equal place.

These are some of my raw thoughts.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Fri, 2018-08-10 at 10:56 +0100, C R wrote:

> [...]
> can encourage this with a running-total press release, for example:
> "Donations from XXXX's Inkscape course just passed the £10,000.00
> mark! Our next hackfest is fully funded!" etc.
>
> 9. Ending a sponsorship - When the sponsor wishes to end the
> sponsorship deal, it should be made clear that funds are no longer
> going to the Inkscape Project. This can be done with a thank you
> press release, like this: XXXX has raised a total of £150,000.00 for
> Inkscape's development. On behalf of the Inkscape Project, we'd like
> to thank XXXX for this generous donation and wish them good luck on
> future projects.
>

> Any thoughts are welcome. :)
>
> Thanks for your attention!
> -C

Re: Friends of Inkscape - A program for individuals and small businesses who want to promote Inkscape

Very well thought out, C R !

I don't have any kind of background knowledge or experience to comment on the
specifics, but I think this is a very good idea!

On the surface of it, I think the sponsor might not necessarily want their
monetary level of support published.  I guess generally, something like the
gold, silver, platinum levels (or whatever they are) would probably be ok
(although I certainly can speak for all sponsors).  But just thinking about
myself as theoretically a sponsor, I probably would not want the dollar amount
announced.  Although I can see where others would like their amount known.

Would there be some way to achieve the goals for which the amount is published,
but without publishing it?  Or maybe giving them a choice about it?

> [...]

> These terms do not apply to folks who just want to donate without any press
> releases from the Inkscape Project.
>
> 8. Honesty - Obviously, we should ensure that sponsors follow up on the
> promise to donate the stated funds to the Inkscape Project. We can
> encourage this with a running-total press release, for example: "Donations
> from XXXX's Inkscape course just passed the £10,000.00 mark! Our next
> hackfest is fully funded!" etc.
>
> 9. Ending a sponsorship - When the sponsor wishes to end the sponsorship
> deal, it should be made clear that funds are no longer going to the
> Inkscape Project. This can be done with a thank you press release, like
> this: XXXX has raised a total of £150,000.00 for Inkscape's development. On
> behalf of the Inkscape Project, we'd like to thank XXXX for this generous
> donation and wish them good luck on future projects.

I had an idle thought -- we had talked a while back about allowing
individuals on patreon to advertise their pages on Inkscape resources.
It occurs to me that the rules above to deal with potential conflicts of
interest for product providers possibly might address the same concerns
that would exist for service providers.  It'd take more thinking but
maybe this would enable a sensible way to handle patreon too?