Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
Dear Eduard, dear Inkscape Team

> If this version matches the actual requirement unexpected build failures
> like Michael was experiencing should be impossible as cmake would
> already warn at the configure stage.

I would think that CMake allows newer versions than the specified one,
unless explicitly told otherwise. The issue here is that some GTK 3.16
are actually used although only GTK 3.8 features should be used (as far
as I understood).

I have some experience with creating build systems which use specific
package versions based on Cygwin. Since there is a working MSys build,
it shouldn't be difficult to build with specific package versions - one
just has to create a local cygwin or MSys package repository, which
keeps these specific versions and tell the Cygwin/MSys installer to use
that one. The Cygwin installer creates a suitable repository as a cache
automatically. Not sure how this works with MSys, but I guess it has
similar features. The main issue here might be to get the versions
mentioned in the Wiki. One might have to build them from scratch.

If someone has a years old cache folder of Cygwin or MSys with all the
old package versions, please put is somewhere.

It would make sense to run two builds, one with the latest packages and
one with an archived set of packages.

Best regards,

Michael

.

Re: Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Eduard Braun
Am 23.07.2017 um 23:22 schrieb Michael Soegtrop via Inkscape-devel:

> I have some experience with creating build systems which use specific
> package versions based on Cygwin. Since there is a working MSys build,
> it shouldn't be difficult to build with specific package versions - one
> just has to create a local cygwin or MSys package repository, which
> keeps these specific versions and tell the Cygwin/MSys installer to use
> that one. The Cygwin installer creates a suitable repository as a cache
> automatically. Not sure how this works with MSys, but I guess it has
> similar features. The main issue here might be to get the versions
> mentioned in the Wiki. One might have to build them from scratch.
>
> If someone has a years old cache folder of Cygwin or MSys with all the
> old package versions, please put is somewhere.
>
> It would make sense to run two builds, one with the latest packages and
> one with an archived set of packages.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael

(just for clarification: we're using MSYS2, not MSYS! Also we're
creating native builds based on mingw-w64, not Cygwin builds)

While I agree on the idea of having CI with packages using the minimal
version numbers it does not make that much sense to uses MSYS2 as a base
as it's designed to be rolling release and constantly develops. Creating
our own package repository sounds like a lot of unncessary work,
especially as I doubt a "years old cache" of MSYS2 would be able to
build Inkscape at this stage (as a matter of fact I added some packages
myself and fixed some bugs in others along the way).
I assume it'd be much easier to decide on some old but widespread Linux
distro an base CI on that.

Regards,
Eduard

Re: Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
Dear Eduard,

> I assume it'd be much easier to decide on some old but widespread
Linux distro an base CI on that.

I think it will be difficult to keep such a CI system sane and safe. It
is much less of a fuzz to to builds on a years old Cygwin on a modern
Windows than to maintain a CI server with a years old Linux. The idea of
using repo caches is to archive the state in which things did work once.
The point is to maintain compatibility with such a build environment.
With Cygwin this is very low effort - just backup the local repo cache
and tell the installer to not update the cached version. That's all. You
can setup any number of cygwins from different repo caches with a script
on one Windows machine. I don't know much about MSys2, but I guess it
would be similar.

Best regards,

Michael

Re: Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2017, 23:22:46 CEST schrieb Michael Soegtrop via
Inkscape-devel:

> Dear Eduard, dear Inkscape Team
>
> > If this version matches the actual requirement unexpected build failures
> > like Michael was experiencing should be impossible as cmake would
> > already warn at the configure stage.
>
> I would think that CMake allows newer versions than the specified one,
> unless explicitly told otherwise. The issue here is that some GTK 3.16
> are actually used although only GTK 3.8 features should be used (as far
> as I understood).
While I tend to believe that users of ages old stale^Wstable distributions
shouldn't expect bleeding edge development versions of programs to work on
their systems I'd still like to help with at least the glib/gtk part:

Read [0] and [1], then add the defines to CMakeLists.txt to have them set for
all files. Also make sure that the compiler warns about deprecated functions.
That will bring you half way there. Once the code base compiles without
compiler warnings you can enable -Werror for development builds (i.e., when
there is a .git folder) and you will be sure to stay compatible with those
libraries.

The rest can be done with CI, or just crowd source it and wait for people
complaining when builds fail. :-)

[...]

> Best regards,
>
> Michael

Tobias

[0] https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Version-Information.html#GLIB-VERSION-MAX-ALLOWED:CAPS
[1] https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable/gdk3-General.html#GDK-VERSION-MAX-ALLOWED:CAPS

Re: Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Alex Valavanis-3
I've re-added the listing for Debian oldstable to our "Tracking Dependencies" page... http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Tracking_Dependencies#Distros

On 24 July 2017 at 10:01, Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2017, 23:22:46 CEST schrieb Michael Soegtrop via
Inkscape-devel:
> Dear Eduard, dear Inkscape Team
>
> > If this version matches the actual requirement unexpected build failures
> > like Michael was experiencing should be impossible as cmake would
> > already warn at the configure stage.
>
> I would think that CMake allows newer versions than the specified one,
> unless explicitly told otherwise. The issue here is that some GTK 3.16
> are actually used although only GTK 3.8 features should be used (as far
> as I understood).

While I tend to believe that users of ages old stale^Wstable distributions
shouldn't expect bleeding edge development versions of programs to work on
their systems I'd still like to help with at least the glib/gtk part:

Read [0] and [1], then add the defines to CMakeLists.txt to have them set for
all files. Also make sure that the compiler warns about deprecated functions.
That will bring you half way there. Once the code base compiles without
compiler warnings you can enable -Werror for development builds (i.e., when
there is a .git folder) and you will be sure to stay compatible with those
libraries.

The rest can be done with CI, or just crowd source it and wait for people
complaining when builds fail. :-)

[...]

> Best regards,
>
> Michael

Tobias

[0] https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Version-Information.html#GLIB-VERSION-MAX-ALLOWED:CAPS
[1] https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable/gdk3-General.html#GDK-VERSION-MAX-ALLOWED:CAPS

Re: Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Alex Valavanis-3
Just another +1 for handling this all through CI.  It will place an impossible burden on developers if we need to manually rebuild everything on a list of "supported" build systems before committing to trunk.

The PPA builds are currently out of date because we don't yet have an "official" mirror of the git repo on Launchpad.  It's not too tricky to set up though, and we can switch to using git-builder when it's available.

AV

On 24 July 2017 at 11:59, Alex Valavanis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've re-added the listing for Debian oldstable to our "Tracking Dependencies" page... http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Tracking_Dependencies#Distros

On 24 July 2017 at 10:01, Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2017, 23:22:46 CEST schrieb Michael Soegtrop via
Inkscape-devel:
> Dear Eduard, dear Inkscape Team
>
> > If this version matches the actual requirement unexpected build failures
> > like Michael was experiencing should be impossible as cmake would
> > already warn at the configure stage.
>
> I would think that CMake allows newer versions than the specified one,
> unless explicitly told otherwise. The issue here is that some GTK 3.16
> are actually used although only GTK 3.8 features should be used (as far
> as I understood).

While I tend to believe that users of ages old stale^Wstable distributions
shouldn't expect bleeding edge development versions of programs to work on
their systems I'd still like to help with at least the glib/gtk part:

Read [0] and [1], then add the defines to CMakeLists.txt to have them set for
all files. Also make sure that the compiler warns about deprecated functions.
That will bring you half way there. Once the code base compiles without
compiler warnings you can enable -Werror for development builds (i.e., when
there is a .git folder) and you will be sure to stay compatible with those
libraries.

The rest can be done with CI, or just crowd source it and wait for people
complaining when builds fail. :-)

[...]

> Best regards,
>
> Michael

Tobias

[0] https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Version-Information.html#GLIB-VERSION-MAX-ALLOWED:CAPS
[1] https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable/gdk3-General.html#GDK-VERSION-MAX-ALLOWED:CAPS

Re: Fwd: Re: Debian 8 compatibility falling apart after one month of Debian 9

Alex Valavanis-3
Hi All,

I've brought the trunk PPA back online... it's currently failing on the "make test" step:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/330394206/buildlog_ubuntu-xenial-amd64.inkscape-trunk_1%3A0.92.0+devel+15937+86~ubuntu16.04.1_BUILDING.txt.gz

As an interim measure, I've disabled the test rule in the PPA builder until someone figures out how to fix it!

AV

Am 24.07.2017 um 16:02 schrieb Alex Valavanis:
> I've brought the trunk PPA back online... it's currently failing on
> the "make test" step:

That's because the build is configured to do "make test" which only runs
tests but does not build them.
If you replace it with "make check" we should be all set!

Thanks for bringing this back online!

Regards,
Eduard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 03:02:11PM +0100, Alex Valavanis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've brought the trunk PPA back online... it's currently failing on the
> "make test" step:
>
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/330394206/buildlog_ubuntu-xenial-amd64.inkscape-trunk_1%3A0.92.0+devel+15937+86~ubuntu16.04.1_BUILDING.txt.gz
>
> As an interim measure, I've disabled the test rule in the PPA builder until
> someone figures out how to fix it!

Thanks for converting the PPAs, Alex!

Bryce