G(S)List no more

Marc Jeanmougin
Hi all!

After a work in three main phases over >2years:
- merge 9b7af8caac08ad42a48214518bc004e258eb5873 (+1544,-1778 over 114
files) taking care of just the uses pertaining to the selections,
- merge 50ab3a3c4215474d437f9adcc4b725bed26767d7 (+701,-884 over 60
files) taking care of many various uses,
- tonight's merge of
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/86/diffs
(+1041,-1612 over 90 files) taking care of the rest,

I'm pleased to announce that the number of GList and GSList in the
codebase is at an historical low:
→ GLists are still in heavy uses in libcroco and libnrtype forcing two
uses in sp-style-elem.cpp (libcroco) and widgets/font-selector.cpp
(libnrtype)
→ Three files related to actions in src/widgets/ crash when gtkmmified
so they still keep GSList in "proxies = gtk_action_get_proxies(
GTK_ACTION(action) );". The normal way to get rid of those would be to
make a big effort of gtkkmification of the actions and make them derive
from Gio::Action
<https://developer.gnome.org/glibmm/unstable/classGio_1_1Action.html>.
I'm not sure how to achieve that.

Many of these lists were not properly g_(s)list_free'd, so I may or may
not have fixed several dozens of memory leaks in the process.

I've been as careful as I could, but if you detect crashes or
regressions linked to this merge, please contact me on IRC or email as
soon as possible so that I can investigate.

Yay!
--
Mc

Re: G(S)List no more

Martin Owens-2
Well done Marc!

Also use of c++11 in a lot of this code.

Martin,

On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 02:57 +0200, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> After a work in three main phases over >2years:
> - merge 9b7af8caac08ad42a48214518bc004e258eb5873 (+1544,-1778 over
> 114
> files) taking care of just the uses pertaining to the selections,
> - merge 50ab3a3c4215474d437f9adcc4b725bed26767d7 (+701,-884 over 60
> files) taking care of many various uses,
> - tonight's merge of
> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/86/diffs
> (+1041,-1612 over 90 files) taking care of the rest,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that the number of GList and GSList in the
> codebase is at an historical low:
> → GLists are still in heavy uses in libcroco and libnrtype forcing
> two
> uses in sp-style-elem.cpp (libcroco) and widgets/font-selector.cpp
> (libnrtype)
> → Three files related to actions in src/widgets/ crash when
> gtkmmified
> so they still keep GSList in "proxies = gtk_action_get_proxies(
> GTK_ACTION(action) );". The normal way to get rid of those would be
> make a big effort of gtkkmification of the actions and make them
> derive
> from Gio::Action
> <https://developer.gnome.org/glibmm/unstable/classGio_1_1Action.html>
> .
> I'm not sure how to achieve that.
>
> Many of these lists were not properly g_(s)list_free'd, so I may or
> may
> not have fixed several dozens of memory leaks in the process.
>

> I've been as careful as I could, but if you detect crashes or
> regressions linked to this merge, please contact me on IRC or email
> as
> soon as possible so that I can investigate.
>
> Yay!

Re: G(S)List no more

Alex Valavanis-3
Excellent news... really good to see the back of GList/GSList!

AV