GDL broken under Wayland

Tavmjong Bah

Hi,

It appears that GDL (Gnome Docking Library) is broken under Wayland.
From what I've figured out, the problem is that Wayland doesn't have
the concept of global windowing position which means that GDL doesn't
know how to do drag-n-drop.[1] The blue "pseudo" window used to
indicate where the window is while dragging does not change position.

GDL doesn't seem to be under active development so I can't see this
being fixed upstream soon. (There were a handful of commits last year,
mostly for translation updates.) The code and our interface to it are
rather complicated and it would probably take someone a considerable
amount of time to fix it. It might be time to rethink how we handle
docked and floating dialogs. Any ideas?

Tav

[1] https://blog.gtk.org/2016/07/15/future-of-relative-window-positioni
ng/

Re: GDL broken under Wayland

Ted Gould
I was chatting with Christian Hergert at SCALE last year and he really
wanted us to move over to the code Builder is using. At the time he was
thinking about pulling it out into a library, but I'm not sure if he has.

Ted