GSoC Text Help (you don't need to be a developer to help with this)

GSoC Text Help (you don't need to be a developer to help with this)

Josh Andler
Hey All,

So, I'm looking to complete the application for this year's GSoC
(Google Summer of Code, for those unfamiliar). Unlike previous years,
they actually want our application hosted with them as opposed to a
link to what we want in our wiki.

It supports markdown, which is awesome, but when I go to pull what we
have and put it in a text editor that counts characters, we're at 2035
characters when we need to be at 1500. Again, this is with the
relevant markup which unfortunately counts against us.

The source I speak of (for those with a wiki account is):
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php?title=SOC_Application_Template&action=edit&section=1

Is there anyone with the time and inclination to help keep the
substance while cutting down on the fat? (It looks lean to me as a
start, but as you can tell by this email, brevity isn't normally a
strong point for me)

Our application needs to be complete by the 9th and this is one piece
of it that I could really use a hand on due to my obligations for
SCALE which are overlapping right now.

I don't know that the main text itself that we host needs to be cut
down as much as we should start a second copy that is intended for
brevity, with shorturls and all that to help too.

Any volunteers?

Cheers,
Josh

Re: [Inkscape-devel] GSoC Text Help (you don't need to be a developer to help with this)

Josh Andler
Wow! Thank you so much! I did not expect such a quick turnaround. I
got one other response privately as well so it will likely end up
being a nuanced hybrid of the two.

Seriously, I was thinking it would have taken days and this was super
fast! I literally can't thank you enough!

Can I also ask if you're replying from a specific mailing list? I want
to make sure we're not underestimating our community on the user list.
(Note: I remember you from the 2015 hackfest, so please know I'm not
thinking you're a random person :))

Cheers,
Josh

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cutting text down to meet arbitrary word/character limits happens to be a
> specialty of mine.
>
> The below version (in Markdown instead of WikiText) is just under 1500
> characters. I dropped the URL to the mailing list sign up, but other than
> that I think it's still got all the substance.  Figuring out how to sign up
> to this list becomes another application task, I guess.
>
> Of course, feel free to take this & work with it.
>
> ________
> # Inkscape Application
>
> Thanks for considering Inkscape for your summer of code!  To help us find a
> good candidate, we ask a few things:
>
> ## About You
> - What is your name, email, & irc nick?
> - What plans do you have for the summer in addition to GSoC (classes,
> thesis, job, vacation, etc.)?
> - What programming projects have you completed?
> - What are your favorite programming tools (editor, etc.)?
> - Describe any work on other open-source projects.
> - List other GSoC projects you're applying to.
>
> ## About Inkscape
> - When did you hear about Inkscape?
> - What do you create with Inkscape?
> - What other open-source tools do you use?
> - How have you participated in the Inkscape community (e.g. uploaded
> drawings, created tutorials, submitted bug reports, asked or answered
> questions)?
> - How have you contributed to Inkscape development (e.g. bug fixes,
> translations, packaging, testing)?
> - In exactly **2** sentences, why should we pick **YOU**?
>
> ## Tasks
> - Submit a drawing you've made, showing how you use Inkscape.
> - Introduce yourself on the inkscape-devel mailing list and post your
> project ideas for feedback, *before* submitting your application
> - [Checkout](http://inkscape.org/bzr.php) the Inkscape sourcecode through
> Bazaar; review, compile & build it.
> - Pick 2 [bugs](https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/) (or add new ones).
> Create & upload patches for them; make sure we can connect these to your
> GSoC application.
> - Prepare a detailed plan (with timetable) of the work you propose to do.

Re: [Inkscape-devel] GSoC Text Help (you don't need to be a developer to help with this)

C R
== Google Summer of Code - Student Application Template for Inkscape ==

Thanks for considering Inkscape for your SoC project!  Please fill out
the following questions.

=== Inkscape Questions ===
# When did you first hear about Inkscape?
# What do you use Inkscape for?
# Describe your community participation (e.g. art, tuts, bug reports,
on mailing lists or IRC).
# Describe your contributions to Inkscape (e.g. bug fixes,
translations, packaging, testing).
# In exactly '''two''' sentences, why should we pick '''YOU'''?

=== About Yourself ===
# Give name, email address, and irc nickname.
# Any other summer plans in addition to GSoC (classes, thesis, job, etc.)?
# What coding projects have you completed?
# Favorite coding tools (editor, etc.)?
# Describe your work on other FLOSS projects.
# List other GSoC projects you are applying to.

=== Tasks ===
# Submit a drawing which demonstrates your knowledge of Inkscape.
# Introduce yourself on the
[http://lists.sf.net/mailman/listinfo/inkscape-devel Inkscape dev.
mailing list], and post project ideas for feedback, ''before''
submitting your application.
# [http://inkscape.org/bzr.php Checkout] the Inkscape sourcecode
through Bazaar and review it, build Inkscape on your own computer.
# Patch two bugs [https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/ Inkscape bug
tracker], or submit a patch improving code unrelated to a bug. Let us
know the patches are connected to GSoC.
# Prepare a detailed plan (with timetable) of the work you want to do.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Josh Andler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow! Thank you so much! I did not expect such a quick turnaround. I
> got one other response privately as well so it will likely end up
> being a nuanced hybrid of the two.
>
> Seriously, I was thinking it would have taken days and this was super
> fast! I literally can't thank you enough!
>
> Can I also ask if you're replying from a specific mailing list? I want
> to make sure we're not underestimating our community on the user list.
> (Note: I remember you from the 2015 hackfest, so please know I'm not
> thinking you're a random person :))
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Cutting text down to meet arbitrary word/character limits happens to be a
>> specialty of mine.
>>
>> The below version (in Markdown instead of WikiText) is just under 1500
>> characters. I dropped the URL to the mailing list sign up, but other than
>> that I think it's still got all the substance.  Figuring out how to sign up
>> to this list becomes another application task, I guess.
>>
>> Of course, feel free to take this & work with it.
>>
>> ________
>> # Inkscape Application
>>
>> Thanks for considering Inkscape for your summer of code!  To help us find a
>> good candidate, we ask a few things:
>>
>> ## About You
>> - What is your name, email, & irc nick?
>> - What plans do you have for the summer in addition to GSoC (classes,
>> thesis, job, vacation, etc.)?
>> - What programming projects have you completed?
>> - What are your favorite programming tools (editor, etc.)?
>> - Describe any work on other open-source projects.
>> - List other GSoC projects you're applying to.
>>
>> ## About Inkscape
>> - When did you hear about Inkscape?
>> - What do you create with Inkscape?
>> - What other open-source tools do you use?
>> - How have you participated in the Inkscape community (e.g. uploaded
>> drawings, created tutorials, submitted bug reports, asked or answered
>> questions)?
>> - How have you contributed to Inkscape development (e.g. bug fixes,
>> translations, packaging, testing)?
>> - In exactly **2** sentences, why should we pick **YOU**?
>>
>> ## Tasks
>> - Submit a drawing you've made, showing how you use Inkscape.
>> - Introduce yourself on the inkscape-devel mailing list and post your
>> project ideas for feedback, *before* submitting your application
>> - [Checkout](http://inkscape.org/bzr.php) the Inkscape sourcecode through
>> Bazaar; review, compile & build it.
>> - Pick 2 [bugs](https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/) (or add new ones).
>> Create & upload patches for them; make sure we can connect these to your
>> GSoC application.
>> - Prepare a detailed plan (with timetable) of the work you propose to do.

Re: [Inkscape-devel] GSoC Text Help (you don't need to be a developer to help with this)

C R
Ooops. :) Well, now you have a choice. :)

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 8:06 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> - How have you contributed to Inkscape development (e.g. bug fixes,
>>> translations, packaging, testing)?
>>> - In exactly **2** sentences, why should we pick **YOU**?
>>>
>>> ## Tasks
>>> - Submit a drawing you've made, showing how you use Inkscape.
>>> - Introduce yourself on the inkscape-devel mailing list and post your
>>> project ideas for feedback, *before* submitting your application
>>> - [Checkout](http://inkscape.org/bzr.php) the Inkscape sourcecode through
>>> Bazaar; review, compile & build it.
>>> - Pick 2 [bugs](https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/) (or add new ones).
>>> Create & upload patches for them; make sure we can connect these to your
>>> GSoC application.
>>> - Prepare a detailed plan (with timetable) of the work you propose to do.

Re: [Inkscape-devel] GSoC Text Help (you don't need to be a developer to help with this)

john cliff-2
Could use an URL shortener on the links (or put some short URLs w redirects on inkscape.org)