Gtk3 Trunk/Master Status

Tavmjong Bah

Hi All,

At the last Inkscape board meeting I was tasked with looking into the
status of our move to Gtk3. I've updated the Gtk+ 3 issues wiki page:

        wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/GTK%2B_3_issues

Here are what I consider to be the big blockers to a 0.93 release from
the Gtk3 perspective:

1. Filter Editor dialog rewrite.

   Our custom Filter Editor dialog is seriously broken with Gtk3. Some
work was done at the hackfest on rewriting this dialog from scratch.
This needs to be finished.

2. Crash in Wayland with docked dialogs.

   When Inkscape is run under Wayland and there is a docked dialog,
opening a new Inkscape window causes a crash in the GDL code.

3. Icons themes.

   We've removed our custom icon handling code and now rely on native
Gtk icon handling. This means that each icon is now in its own SVG
file. In principle this should allow theming to work properly but more
work needs to be done. All the icons are currently dumped into one
directory. They need to be in put in subdirectories according to the
common desktop spec and the Inkscape code updated to use the
directories.

4. Icons missing in toolbars.

   Icons are often missing in toolbars until the window is resized.

There are quite a few other major bugs that should be addressed as well
listed on the wiki page, some of them may be candidates for blockers.

Please give your feedback here and/or on the wiki page.

Thanks,

Tav

Re: Gtk3 Trunk/Master Status

Patrick Storz
Hi Tav,

it seems the major issue we're experiencing on Windows (which is
certainly a blocker) fell through the cracks:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1723247

In short, performance with gtk3 is down the drain and any productive
work is impossible as a consequence, so this needs to be addressed for a
0.93 release.

Regards,
Eduard

Am 24.10.2017 um 20:05 schrieb Tavmjong Bah:

> Hi All,
>
> At the last Inkscape board meeting I was tasked with looking into the
> status of our move to Gtk3. I've updated the Gtk+ 3 issues wiki page:
>
> wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/GTK%2B_3_issues
>
> Here are what I consider to be the big blockers to a 0.93 release from
> the Gtk3 perspective:
>
> 1. Filter Editor dialog rewrite.
>
>     Our custom Filter Editor dialog is seriously broken with Gtk3. Some
> work was done at the hackfest on rewriting this dialog from scratch.
> This needs to be finished.
>
> 2. Crash in Wayland with docked dialogs.
>
>     When Inkscape is run under Wayland and there is a docked dialog,
> opening a new Inkscape window causes a crash in the GDL code.
>
> 3. Icons themes.
>
>     We've removed our custom icon handling code and now rely on native
> Gtk icon handling. This means that each icon is now in its own SVG
> file. In principle this should allow theming to work properly but more
> work needs to be done. All the icons are currently dumped into one
> directory. They need to be in put in subdirectories according to the
> common desktop spec and the Inkscape code updated to use the
> directories.
>
> 4. Icons missing in toolbars.
>
>     Icons are often missing in toolbars until the window is resized.
>

> There are quite a few other major bugs that should be addressed as well
> listed on the wiki page, some of them may be candidates for blockers.
>
> Please give your feedback here and/or on the wiki page.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tav

Re: Gtk3 Trunk/Master Status

LucaDC
The Wiki page update date is written as 24 Oct 2007... A bit too old, it
seems. :)

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html

Re: Gtk3 Trunk/Master Status

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 08:05:01PM +0200, Tavmjong Bah wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> At the last Inkscape board meeting I was tasked with looking into the
> status of our move to Gtk3. I've updated the Gtk+ 3 issues wiki page:
>
> wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/GTK%2B_3_issues
>
> Here are what I consider to be the big blockers to a 0.93 release from
> the Gtk3 perspective:
>
> 1. Filter Editor dialog rewrite.
>
>    Our custom Filter Editor dialog is seriously broken with Gtk3. Some
> work was done at the hackfest on rewriting this dialog from scratch.
> This needs to be finished.
>
> 2. Crash in Wayland with docked dialogs.
>
>    When Inkscape is run under Wayland and there is a docked dialog,
> opening a new Inkscape window causes a crash in the GDL code.
>
> 3. Icons themes.
>
>    We've removed our custom icon handling code and now rely on native
> Gtk icon handling. This means that each icon is now in its own SVG
> file. In principle this should allow theming to work properly but more
> work needs to be done. All the icons are currently dumped into one
> directory. They need to be in put in subdirectories according to the
> common desktop spec and the Inkscape code updated to use the
> directories.
>
> 4. Icons missing in toolbars.
>
>    Icons are often missing in toolbars until the window is resized.
>

> There are quite a few other major bugs that should be addressed as well
> listed on the wiki page, some of them may be candidates for blockers.
>
> Please give your feedback here and/or on the wiki page.

One other item we've got to get done for 0.93 is fixing the GPLv2
licensing.  There's one gimp widget that causes the trouble, and while
it needs a GPLv2 rewrite, a quicker workaround might be to just
remove it for now.

  + http://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/message/29596791/

We'd want to also backport this to 0.92 as soon as a suitable
implementation is done.