Hackfest dinner in Saarbrücken

dehesselle
Date is good, +1

Re: Beta-blockers ?

dehesselle
Hi Mc,

I’m a bit late to the party with my reply.

TL;DR: the macOS release is not ready to be called beta. I think it'd only hurt our reputation. If necessary, the macOS release should be decoupled from mainline release schedule and stay longer in alpha.

Full story below.

== Gtk General interface stuff (all) ==

There are quite a few visual glitches as well as more serious ones that affect shortcuts/keyboard handling. That is basically where the macOS integration stuff comes into play. We’ve had attempted fixes, but not without side effects. I’m under the impression this is rather messy and not well matured on the GTK side of things.

== Packaging (RdH, Patrick, others) ==

The packaging on macOS is ready to produce releasable `.dmg` builds. It is still a 2-step process for now, meaning we pick a CI artifact and I can turn that into on official release semi-automatically. I’ve done this once with doctormo’s help to replace the tarball on the website and I’m doing it more regularly to the alpha.inkscape.org[http://alpha.inkscape.org/] website (granted, it’s been a slow couple of weeks lately).

The build pipeline itself is not in a state that I can or want to stop working on it, but I’ll get there eventually.

== Stability (Maren, Chris, all) ==

There is one reported crash on macOS (SVG font editor) and two severe issues that deadlock or freeze the GUI so that basically you have to quit Inkscape and start over. These are the ones I’ve tagged as blockers.

== Performance (all) ==

Reports of a bit more „sluggishness“ have come in across all platforms AFAIK, so I’m just chiming in there with macOS.

RdH