Hackfest regressions

Eduard Braun

Hi all,

first of all I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions during the hackfest!

As with all new code I noticed some regressions. As you probably know best on what parts of the code you worked yourselves I'll just list everything I noticed here, so you know about it and can attempt to fix it. (If I need to file a bug for any of those please let me know, but I hope most of those issues can be fixed easily):

  1. The Inkscape Window is not restored to the correct position anymore (probably related to https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/commit/fa8a2ee7e2539b145a87ac9af0d9748effa91631).
    On a multi-monitor system with two monitors oriented like [1][2] with [2] being the primary monitor the Inkscape window is restored somewhere on [1] if it was closed on [2], so probably the combined screen area is not accounted for when calculating positions.
  2. Some icons are broken or missing, see https://inkscape.org/de/gallery/item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there might be others, but those are the ones I noticed).
  3. During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I was only able to find them in a single location (the path menu). Aren't there supposed to be more icons?
    Also they look a bit weird (see https://media.inkscape.org/media/resources/file/menu_icons.png): Instead of using the space to the left they are indented like the rest of the text shifting menu labels unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very uneven look.

If I notice anything else I'll report it here.

If I can provide additional information or help with debugging please let me know.

Regards,
Eduard

Re: Hackfest regressions

Martin Owens-2
I'm going to add this menus regression which is a bit of an odd one:

Ubuntu 16.04, fresh config dir, fresh trunk build (See attachment)

Menu names are missing, many are moved into the next column.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 22:28 +0200, Eduard Braun wrote:

> Hi all,
> first of all I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions
> during the hackfest!
> As with all new code I noticed some regressions. As you probably know
> best on what parts of the code you worked yourselves I'll just list
> everything I noticed here, so you know about it and can attempt to
> fix it. (If I need to file a bug for any of those please let me know,
> but I hope most of those issues can be fixed easily):
> The Inkscape Window is not restored to the correct position anymore
> (probably related to https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/commit/fa8a
> 2ee7e2539b145a87ac9af0d9748effa91631).
> On a multi-monitor system with two monitors oriented like [1][2] with
> [2] being the primary monitor the Inkscape window is restored
> somewhere on [1] if it was closed on [2], so probably the combined
> screen area is not accounted for when calculating positions.
> Some icons are broken or missing, see https://inkscape.org/de/gallery
> /item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there might be others, but those are
> the ones I noticed).
> During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I
> was only able to find them in a single location (the path menu).
> Aren't there supposed to be more icons?
> Also they look a bit weird (see https://media.inkscape.org/media/reso
> urces/file/menu_icons.png): Instead of using the space to the left
> they are indented like the rest of the text shifting menu labels
> unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very uneven look.
> If I notice anything else I'll report it here.
> If I can provide additional information or help with debugging please
> let me know.
> Regards,
> Eduard

Screenshot from 2017-07-06 16-45-58.png (203K) Download Attachment

Re: Hackfest regressions

Eduard Braun
Am 06.07.2017 um 22:28 schrieb Eduard Braun:
>     2. Some icons are broken or missing, see
> https://inkscape.org/de/gallery/item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there
> might be others, but those are the ones I noticed).

Just learned that there also is a list with much more extensive
information on this point created by su_v, see
https://gitlab.com/snippets/1666702

Re: Hackfest regressions

Alex Valavanis-3
Re Point 3... unfortunately, this is imposed on us by changes in the
Gtk+ API.  Basically, the left column is now reserved solely for
checkboxes/radio buttons and cannot be accessed via the API.  Icons in
the left column are deprecated in Gtk+ 3 and have been removed
entirely in Gtk+ 4.

We came up with a list of options at the Hackfest:
https://imagebin.ca/v/3Re6nhBUI1LZ

Unfortunately, Option 5 is not possible, as the API does not allow
access to the left column.  We decided that Option 3 was the most
acceptable solution, although care should be taken to group indented
menu items between separators so as to look more aesthetically
pleasing.

Best wishes,

Alex

On 6 July 2017 at 21:28, Eduard Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> first of all I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions during the
> hackfest!
>
> As with all new code I noticed some regressions. As you probably know best
> on what parts of the code you worked yourselves I'll just list everything I
> noticed here, so you know about it and can attempt to fix it. (If I need to
> file a bug for any of those please let me know, but I hope most of those
> issues can be fixed easily):
>
> The Inkscape Window is not restored to the correct position anymore
> (probably related to
> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/commit/fa8a2ee7e2539b145a87ac9af0d9748effa91631).
> On a multi-monitor system with two monitors oriented like [1][2] with [2]
> being the primary monitor the Inkscape window is restored somewhere on [1]
> if it was closed on [2], so probably the combined screen area is not
> accounted for when calculating positions.
> Some icons are broken or missing, see
> https://inkscape.org/de/gallery/item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there might be
> others, but those are the ones I noticed).
> During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I was only
> able to find them in a single location (the path menu). Aren't there
> supposed to be more icons?
> Also they look a bit weird (see
> https://media.inkscape.org/media/resources/file/menu_icons.png): Instead of
> using the space to the left they are indented like the rest of the text
> shifting menu labels unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very uneven
> look.
>
> If I notice anything else I'll report it here.
>
> If I can provide additional information or help with debugging please let me
> know.
>
> Regards,
> Eduard

Re: Hackfest regressions

Eduard Braun
Ugh, so they're actually working *against* devs now... Have the GTK+
devs ever tried to create software that has more then three buttons?

If GTK fights us like this there's obviously only bad choices...

One thought though: If we plan to continue to use as many icons as we
currently do I'd not rule out option 2 just yet. It's obviously the
cleanest and visually most appealing choice!
The only downside I see is that it wastes a lot of space and would look
quite strange in menus where there are no checkboxes / icons. But if
there would be a possibility to remove the space reserved for checkboxes
/ icons if there are no checkboxes / icons in a given menu I'd say this
would be the perfect solution! Then we maintain a clear look in menus
with icons but don't waste space in menus without them

Regards,
Eduard

Am 07.07.2017 um 17:27 schrieb Alex Valavanis:

> Re Point 3... unfortunately, this is imposed on us by changes in the
> Gtk+ API.  Basically, the left column is now reserved solely for
> checkboxes/radio buttons and cannot be accessed via the API.  Icons in
> the left column are deprecated in Gtk+ 3 and have been removed
> entirely in Gtk+ 4.
>
> We came up with a list of options at the Hackfest:
> https://imagebin.ca/v/3Re6nhBUI1LZ
>
> Unfortunately, Option 5 is not possible, as the API does not allow
> access to the left column.  We decided that Option 3 was the most
> acceptable solution, although care should be taken to group indented
> menu items between separators so as to look more aesthetically
> pleasing.
>
> Best wishes,
>

> Alex
>

> On 6 July 2017 at 21:28, Eduard Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> first of all I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions during the
>> hackfest!
>>
>> As with all new code I noticed some regressions. As you probably know best
>> on what parts of the code you worked yourselves I'll just list everything I
>> noticed here, so you know about it and can attempt to fix it. (If I need to
>> file a bug for any of those please let me know, but I hope most of those
>> issues can be fixed easily):
>>
>> The Inkscape Window is not restored to the correct position anymore
>> (probably related to
>> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/commit/fa8a2ee7e2539b145a87ac9af0d9748effa91631).
>> On a multi-monitor system with two monitors oriented like [1][2] with [2]
>> being the primary monitor the Inkscape window is restored somewhere on [1]
>> if it was closed on [2], so probably the combined screen area is not
>> accounted for when calculating positions.
>> Some icons are broken or missing, see
>> https://inkscape.org/de/gallery/item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there might be
>> others, but those are the ones I noticed).
>> During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I was only
>> able to find them in a single location (the path menu). Aren't there
>> supposed to be more icons?
>> Also they look a bit weird (see
>> https://media.inkscape.org/media/resources/file/menu_icons.png): Instead of
>> using the space to the left they are indented like the rest of the text
>> shifting menu labels unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very uneven
>> look.
>>
>> If I notice anything else I'll report it here.
>>
>> If I can provide additional information or help with debugging please let me
>> know.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Eduard

Re: Hackfest regressions

Miguel Lopez
For some reason, I can't send to inkscape-devel (I had this funny e-mail
message), but I would like to mention that if GTK isn't gonna work in
the long run, is QT an option in the future? Krita for example, the
potential new FOSS raster standard app over GIMP is using QT, and they
switched to it at some point. I'm not asking for short-term opinion,
more on the long-run side of the things.

On 7/7/2017 12:09 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:

> [...]
>>> Some icons are broken or missing, see
>>> https://inkscape.org/de/gallery/item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there
>>> might be
>>> others, but those are the ones I noticed).
>>> During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I
>>> was only
>>> able to find them in a single location (the path menu). Aren't there
>>> supposed to be more icons?
>>> Also they look a bit weird (see
>>> https://media.inkscape.org/media/resources/file/menu_icons.png):
>>> Instead of
>>> using the space to the left they are indented like the rest of the text
>>> shifting menu labels unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very
>>> uneven
>>> look.
>>>
>>> If I notice anything else I'll report it here.
>>>
>>> If I can provide additional information or help with debugging

Re: Hackfest regressions

Alex Valavanis-3
One of the issues we have is that many very significant things in the Inkscape code are done in a very "non-standard" way, which are also deeply linked to obscure/obsolete Gtk behaviors.

Before we can consider any change of Widget toolkit, we'd need to complete the code refactoring work. Unfortunately, that means suffering a few more of these "ugly" fixes in the medium term. Hopefully though, we'll end up with a much more stable and maintainable application.

AV

On 7 Jul 2017 19:33, "Miguel Lopez" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> Some icons are broken or missing, see
>>> https://inkscape.org/de/gallery/item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there
>>> might be
>>> others, but those are the ones I noticed).
>>> During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I
>>> was only
>>> able to find them in a single location (the path menu). Aren't there
>>> supposed to be more icons?
>>> Also they look a bit weird (see
>>> https://media.inkscape.org/media/resources/file/menu_icons.png):
>>> Instead of
>>> using the space to the left they are indented like the rest of the text
>>> shifting menu labels unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very
>>> uneven
>>> look.
>>>
>>> If I notice anything else I'll report it here.
>>>
>>> If I can provide additional information or help with debugging

Re: Hackfest regressions

Am 07.07.2017 um 18:09 schrieb Eduard Braun:

> Ugh, so they're actually working *against* devs now... Have the GTK+
> devs ever tried to create software that has more then three buttons?
>
> If GTK fights us like this there's obviously only bad choices...
>
> One thought though: If we plan to continue to use as many icons as we
> currently do I'd not rule out option 2 just yet. It's obviously the
> cleanest and visually most appealing choice!
> The only downside I see is that it wastes a lot of space and would look
> quite strange in menus where there are no checkboxes / icons. But if
> there would be a possibility to remove the space reserved for checkboxes
> / icons if there are no checkboxes / icons in a given menu I'd say this
> would be the perfect solution! Then we maintain a clear look in menus
> with icons but don't waste space in menus without them

+1 (looks a lot better to me)

Maren

> [...]
>>> Some icons are broken or missing, see
>>> https://inkscape.org/de/gallery/item/11147/broken_icons.zip (there
>>> might be
>>> others, but those are the ones I noticed).
>>> During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I
>>> was only
>>> able to find them in a single location (the path menu). Aren't there
>>> supposed to be more icons?
>>> Also they look a bit weird (see
>>> https://media.inkscape.org/media/resources/file/menu_icons.png):
>>> Instead of
>>> using the space to the left they are indented like the rest of the text
>>> shifting menu labels unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very
>>> uneven
>>> look.
>>>
>>> If I notice anything else I'll report it here.
>>>
>>> If I can provide additional information or help with debugging please

Re: Hackfest regressions

Hi all. Im a bit disconected and maybe a bad resurecting thread but:
What about force a empty/transparent icon when no icon?

Cheers, Jabier.

On Fri, 2017-07-07 at 16:27 +0100, Alex Valavanis wrote:

> [...]
> > might be
> > others, but those are the ones I noticed).
> > During the hackfest menu icons were re-added. However on Windows I
> > was only
> > able to find them in a single location (the path menu). Aren't
> > there
> > supposed to be more icons?
> > Also they look a bit weird (see
> > https://media.inkscape.org/media/resources/file/menu_icons.png):
> > Instead of
> > using the space to the left they are indented like the rest of the
> > text
> > shifting menu labels unnecessarily to the right resulting in a very
> > uneven
> > look.
> >
> > If I notice anything else I'll report it here.
> >
> > If I can provide additional information or help with debugging

Re: Hackfest regressions

Eduard Braun

Hi Alex,

did you have time to look into the first regression yet?

I appreciate you trying to remove deprecated code, but I'd very much prefer if it wouldn't break existing functionality...
I admit code that compiles without warnings makes developers happy, but code that actually works seems to be the more important goal as it makes everybody happy and would help to counter the bad reputation Inkscape already has with respect to regressions. :-/

Hope you find the time to look into it! (If you don't plan to work on it it would be nice if you could at least let me know)
Eduard

[...]

Hi Eduard,

Sorry about the slow reply... I was planning another pass to fix this
soon, but I don't have a dual-monitor set up available at the moment.
If anyone else gets to it first, that would be great.

As for the intention behind the deprecation fixes, the main reason is
to fix the current build failures on Gtk+ 3.9x systems (!), but also
part of a process of "standardising" our code design.  The discussions
at the Hackfest suggested that many potential contributors have been
put off from supporting the project by the non-standard use of Gtk+
techniques (e.g., icon theming; ui builders; actions etc)... so
there's a much deeper reasoning than just making the build log
"prettier" ;)

Best wishes,

AV