Quantcast

Help needed and website redesign update

Ian Caldwell-3
All,
Sorry for the lag in updates regarding the site. It has been a bit depressing and I also have been extremely busy. In all honesty we had a great design and some extremely motivated people who started the project of redoing the website. As with all open source projects time and experience got the best of us (myself included). The website design was completed long ago and it looks great. It can be seen here http://en.dev.inkscape.org/ . We started the migration portion and that's about as far as we got. We had one backend mostly complete when we realized that that dev was unable to complete the project without a rewrite and sadly lacked the time due to school commitments etc. Next we had a second developer start rewriting the code and unfortunately due to time constraints is unable to finish. That being said I am open to suggestions but we need a strict time line to at least complete the basic portion of the inkscape site.

That being said, We need help.
Here was the original projected todo:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LLpPSPIrbgsXTJSK56hHBwu6iaTpp7EWguxMgkPE4rg/edit?authkey=CPP-738

Here is the more in depth description of each component:

That being said It would be nice to have the bare minimum in place for the site to allow submission of news, user profiles, admin privileges etc. At this point I am fairly open to consideration on what languages we might use. The project was started both times in django, however was never completed. I also may even be open for consideration of Content management systems that would allow us to build in these features fairly easily and allow the site to contain the same functionality and UI. If you have any talent in the web development world. Please get back to me and lets get the ball rolling! I know the holiday's can sometimes allow time to tinker but they also can be difficult times as well. Please feel free to make suggestions on how you're able to help us complete the website redesign. Really the part we need help with is the backend to the website.
Thanks,
Ian Caldwell ("Inc")
--

Sent with Sparrow

Re: Help needed and website redesign update

Bugzilla from carlsymons@gmail.com
Apologies for top posting. This is short.

Might be good to put this request on www.djangoproject.com/. Inkscape
is the graphics package of choice for a lot of web developers. I'd do
this, but all I know of django is that he was a fantastic guitarist
who turned a tragedy with his left hand into an incredible blessing to
jazz. Thus I feel uncomfortable talking about django's backend B^)

Carl

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Ian Caldwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
> Sorry for the lag in updates regarding the site. It has been a bit
> depressing and I also have been extremely busy. In all honesty we had a
> great design and some extremely motivated people who started the project of
> redoing the website. As with all open source projects time and experience
> got the best of us (myself included). The website design was completed long
> ago and it looks great. It can be seen here http://en.dev.inkscape.org/ . We
> started the migration portion and that's about as far as we got. We had one
> backend mostly complete when we realized that that dev was unable to
> complete the project without a rewrite and sadly lacked the time due to
> school commitments etc. Next we had a second developer start rewriting the
> code and unfortunately due to time constraints is unable to finish. That
> being said I am open to suggestions but we need a strict time line to at
> least complete the basic portion of the inkscape site.
>
> That being said, We need help.
> Here was the original projected todo:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LLpPSPIrbgsXTJSK56hHBwu6iaTpp7EWguxMgkPE4rg/edit?authkey=CPP-738
>
> Here is the more in depth description of each component:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K2O-gRdbkP0XATykk6LcPo6O5-JdQzK4QmPpuLoagQI/edit?authkey=COqDsyc&authkey=COqDsyc
>
> That being said It would be nice to have the bare minimum in place for the
> site to allow submission of news, user profiles, admin privileges etc. At
> this point I am fairly open to consideration on what languages we might use.
> The project was started both times in django, however was never completed. I
> also may even be open for consideration of Content management systems that
> would allow us to build in these features fairly easily and allow the site
> to contain the same functionality and UI. If you have any talent in the web
> development world. Please get back to me and lets get the ball rolling! I
> know the holiday's can sometimes allow time to tinker but they also can be
> difficult times as well. Please feel free to make suggestions on how you're
> able to help us complete the website redesign. Really the part we need help
> with is the backend to the website.
> Thanks,
> Ian Caldwell ("Inc")
> --
>
> Sent with Sparrow

Re: Help needed and website redesign update

Chris Tooley
I also would love to contribute but my expertise for backend web
development lies mainly in PHP - I think it would be easy enough to
work in django, however. I'm willing to learn anyway :)

I hereby offer my help in anything I can do - javascript,(X)HTML,jQuery,PHP.

-Chris

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Carl Symons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies for top posting. This is short.
>
> Might be good to put this request on www.djangoproject.com/. Inkscape
> is the graphics package of choice for a lot of web developers. I'd do
> this, but all I know of django is that he was a fantastic guitarist
> who turned a tragedy with his left hand into an incredible blessing to
> jazz. Thus I feel uncomfortable talking about django's backend B^)
>
> Carl
>
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Ian Caldwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>> Sorry for the lag in updates regarding the site. It has been a bit
>> depressing and I also have been extremely busy. In all honesty we had a
>> great design and some extremely motivated people who started the project of
>> redoing the website. As with all open source projects time and experience
>> got the best of us (myself included). The website design was completed long
>> ago and it looks great. It can be seen here http://en.dev.inkscape.org/ . We
>> started the migration portion and that's about as far as we got. We had one
>> backend mostly complete when we realized that that dev was unable to
>> complete the project without a rewrite and sadly lacked the time due to
>> school commitments etc. Next we had a second developer start rewriting the
>> code and unfortunately due to time constraints is unable to finish. That
>> being said I am open to suggestions but we need a strict time line to at
>> least complete the basic portion of the inkscape site.
>>
>> That being said, We need help.
>> Here was the original projected todo:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LLpPSPIrbgsXTJSK56hHBwu6iaTpp7EWguxMgkPE4rg/edit?authkey=CPP-738
>>
>> Here is the more in depth description of each component:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K2O-gRdbkP0XATykk6LcPo6O5-JdQzK4QmPpuLoagQI/edit?authkey=COqDsyc&authkey=COqDsyc
>>
>> That being said It would be nice to have the bare minimum in place for the
>> site to allow submission of news, user profiles, admin privileges etc. At
>> this point I am fairly open to consideration on what languages we might use.
>> The project was started both times in django, however was never completed. I
>> also may even be open for consideration of Content management systems that
>> would allow us to build in these features fairly easily and allow the site
>> to contain the same functionality and UI. If you have any talent in the web
>> development world. Please get back to me and lets get the ball rolling! I
>> know the holiday's can sometimes allow time to tinker but they also can be
>> difficult times as well. Please feel free to make suggestions on how you're
>> able to help us complete the website redesign. Really the part we need help
>> with is the backend to the website.
>> Thanks,
>> Ian Caldwell ("Inc")
>> --
>>
>> Sent with Sparrow

Dang dingbats (font question)

Henry W. Peters
I wish to modify the alignment of some "dingbats" (font), & make them
into a scalable graphic form, if possible.

1.) I cannot figure out how to get inkscape to show the dingbat font (I
select it in the "text and font," but the dang dingbats do not actually
show)...

2.) Then convert them to a graphic format... adjust according to the
design, & then to be used in Scribus (for a newsletter).

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Henry

Re: Dang dingbats (font question)

Alejandro Castillo
In my case, I found it difficult to find the glyphs of that Typography in inkscape, I only managed to make it appear sans characters, so I used fontmatrix to check all glyphs, and the copy mode that appears in the chart option to copy and paste the special characters into inkscape, and of course, directly in scribus. In both cases, the next step would be only convert the text to curves
.
El 14/12/12 19:10, Henry W. Peters escribió:
I wish to modify the alignment of some "dingbats" (font), & make them
into a scalable graphic form, if possible.

1.) I cannot figure out how to get inkscape to show the dingbat font (I
select it in the "text and font," but the dang dingbats do not actually
show)...

2.) Then convert them to a graphic format... adjust according to the
design, & then to be used in Scribus (for a newsletter).

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Henry

Alejandro Castillo
Bearnd, Diseño Gráfico Abierto
www.Bearnd.Blogspot.com

Si desea enviarme cualquier documento, utilice formatos estándar (ODF, PDF, HTML, TXT...). Gracias.
If you wish to send me some documents, use standard formats (ODF, PDF, HTML, TXT...). Thanks.

Re: Dang dingbats (font question)

Tavmjong Bah
On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 13:10 -0500, Henry W. Peters wrote:
> I wish to modify the alignment of some "dingbats" (font), & make them
> into a scalable graphic form, if possible.
>
> 1.) I cannot figure out how to get inkscape to show the dingbat font (I
> select it in the "text and font," but the dang dingbats do not actually
> show)...

The Glyphs dialog is your friend: Text -> Glyphs
Select the Dingbat font, set Script to 'all' and they should show up in
the table below.

There is a small explanation of how to use the dialog at:

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Text-Creating.html

> 2.) Then convert them to a graphic format... adjust according to the
> design, & then to be used in Scribus (for a newsletter).

Select the text and then use Object -> Object to Path (Shift + Ctrl C).

You cannot convert them back to characters inside Inkscape. You'll have
to use them in Scribus as graphics.

> Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
>
> Henry

Tav

On 12/14/2012 02:02 PM, Alejandro Castillo wrote:
[...]

Thanks ALL, I will try these suggestions.

Regards,
Henry

Re: Dang dingbats (font question)

alvinpenner
>> 1.) I cannot figure out how to get inkscape to show the dingbat font (I select it in the "text and font," but the dang dingbats do not actually show)...

- if you are on Windows, and if you are using Inkscape 0.48.3.1 or older, then you may want to use a newer development version of Inkscape. There were some changes made in bzr rev 10742 that will affect symbol fonts.

- a more recent development build of Inkscape can be obtained at:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=09706d11303fa52a&id=9706D11303FA52A%21217

- hth,
Alvin