Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Andrea Bogazzi
I wanted to start my contribution adventure but i hanged at finding the package inkscape-devel on ubuntu xenial.

The package is not available on my dist

What i m doing wrong? any hint?

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Marién Soria
Hi Andrea!
This plugin help me a lot on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

El vie., 27 de jul. de 2018 a la(s) 15:01, Andrea Bogazzi ([hidden email]) escribió:
I wanted to start my contribution adventure but i hanged at finding the package inkscape-devel on ubuntu xenial.

The package is not available on my dist

What i m doing wrong? any hint?

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Antonio Ospite
On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 16:50:25 +0200
Andrea Bogazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to start my contribution adventure but i hanged at finding the
> package inkscape-devel on ubuntu xenial.
>
> The package is not available on my dist
>
> What i m doing wrong? any hint?

I don't think there is an inkscape-devel package.

On Debian based distros you can bring in compilation dependencies with:

        apt-get build-dep inkscape

However you need deb-src sources for that to work, as explained in
another recent thread.

See also here about how to set up deb-src sources:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list

Ciao,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite
https://ao2.it

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

C R
It might also be worth upgrading your version of Ubuntu, or setting up
a VM with 18.04 (which is the current LTS version). This is so you can
see problems users are likely to face with completely updated
software.

My 2p.
-C

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Antonio Ospite <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 16:50:25 +0200
> Andrea Bogazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I wanted to start my contribution adventure but i hanged at finding the
>> package inkscape-devel on ubuntu xenial.
>>
>> The package is not available on my dist
>>
>> What i m doing wrong? any hint?
>
> I don't think there is an inkscape-devel package.
>
> On Debian based distros you can bring in compilation dependencies with:
>
>         apt-get build-dep inkscape
>
> However you need deb-src sources for that to work, as explained in
> another recent thread.
>
> See also here about how to set up deb-src sources:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list
>
> Ciao,
>    Antonio
>
> --
> Antonio Ospite
> https://ao2.it
> https://twitter.com/ao2it
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Andrea Bogazzi
Sofar:
i started a fresh 18.04 ubuntu machine ( i m a mac user )
cloned the repo
built inkscape with build instruction and i got an executable that works but cannot do anything, has just file quit.
Trashed everything i produced, folders and everything.

Followed ubuntu instructions till the point they ask me to use bazar to get the source.
Is git not good for it?
In my cloned repo with git from the gitlab url, i can't run the commands described here:

It might also be worth upgrading your version of Ubuntu, or setting up
a VM with 18.04 (which is the current LTS version). This is so you can
see problems users are likely to face with completely updated
software.

My 2p.
-C

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Antonio Ospite <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 16:50:25 +0200
> Andrea Bogazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I wanted to start my contribution adventure but i hanged at finding the
>> package inkscape-devel on ubuntu xenial.
>>
>> The package is not available on my dist
>>
>> What i m doing wrong? any hint?
>
> I don't think there is an inkscape-devel package.
>
> On Debian based distros you can bring in compilation dependencies with:
>
>         apt-get build-dep inkscape
>
> However you need deb-src sources for that to work, as explained in
> another recent thread.
>
> See also here about how to set up deb-src sources:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list
>
> Ciao,
>    Antonio
>
> --
> Antonio Ospite
> https://ao2.it
> https://twitter.com/ao2it
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Maren Hachmann
I did the same yesterday, as I was setting up a laptop with Linux Mint
19, and updated my instructions for the script. So far it seemed to work
flawlessly.

You don't need to use the script, but the instructions (esp. the
packages that need to be installed) will probably help you set
everything else up.

See https://gitlab.com/Moini/make_ink

Maren

Am 29.07.2018 um 10:59 schrieb Andrea Bogazzi:

> Sofar:
> i started a fresh 18.04 ubuntu machine ( i m a mac user )
> cloned the repo
> built inkscape with build instruction and i got an executable that works
> but cannot do anything, has just file quit.
> Trashed everything i produced, folders and everything.
>
> Followed ubuntu instructions till the point they ask me to use bazar to
> get the source.
> Is git not good for it?
> In my cloned repo with git from the gitlab url, i can't run the commands
> described here:
>
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingUbuntu#Configuring_and_Compiling

>     It might also be worth upgrading your version of Ubuntu, or setting up
>     a VM with 18.04 (which is the current LTS version). This is so you can
>     see problems users are likely to face with completely updated
>     software.
>
>     My 2p.
>     -C
>
>     On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Antonio Ospite <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     > On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 16:50:25 +0200
>     > Andrea Bogazzi <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     >
>     >> I wanted to start my contribution adventure but i hanged at
>     finding the
>     >> package inkscape-devel on ubuntu xenial.
>     >>
>     >> The package is not available on my dist
>     >>
>     >> What i m doing wrong? any hint?
>     >
>     > I don't think there is an inkscape-devel package.
>     >
>     > On Debian based distros you can bring in compilation dependencies
>     with:
>     >
>     >         apt-get build-dep inkscape
>     >
>     > However you need deb-src sources for that to work, as explained in
>     > another recent thread.
>     >
>     > See also here about how to set up deb-src sources:
>     >
>     https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list
>     <https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list>
>     >
>     > Ciao,
>     >    Antonio
>     >
>     > --
>     > Antonio Ospite
>     > https://ao2.it
>     > https://twitter.com/ao2it
>     >
>     > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>     >    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style>
>     > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>     >
>     >

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Ah sorry, seems to be related to an issue in trunk that was introduced
just after I compiled. Try again when that is fixed.

> [...]

>     https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list
>     <https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list>
>     >
>     > Ciao,
>     >    Antonio
>     >
>     > --
>     > Antonio Ospite
>     > https://ao2.it
>     > https://twitter.com/ao2it
>     >
>     > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>     >    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style>
>     > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>     >
>     >

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

i used the script and was able to compile and run. Just installing the deps wasn t enough, the script actually set paths that help.

Unfortunately i noticed that the thing i want to fix is one level deeper in ps2pdf and i m actually trying to investigate how illustrator stores layers and groups in eps file format.

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 21:49 Maren Hachmann, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list
>     <https://askubuntu.com/questions/496549/error-you-must-put-some-source-uris-in-your-sources-list>
>     >
>     > Ciao,
>     >    Antonio
>     >
>     > --
>     > Antonio Ospite
>     > https://ao2.it
>     > https://twitter.com/ao2it
>     >
>     > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>     >    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style>
>     > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>     >
>     >

Re: Help setting up inkscape develop environment

Glad it worked! (although I wonder which of our instructions need
refinement - I mean, users *should* be able to compile Inkscape
following the instructions, not needing to use some script...)

Let us know about your progress here or on IRC, and also when you need
help with anything.

Maren