Quantcast

How to make an *SVG* connector?

Steve Litt
Hi all,

I want to be able to make an *SVG* connector that doesn't rely on the
facilities of Inkscape to do its thing. According to this URL there is
such a thing:

https://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/connector/SVGConnector.html#ConnectorElement

When I make a connector in Inkscape using the little connector symbol,
in XML it shows up as a path, not a connector, and it has
inkscape:connector-type. When I save as plain SVG, the
inkscape:connector-type goes away, and it's nothing more than a line
segment.

How do I make a real SVG connector in Inkscape?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2017 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: How to make an *SVG* connector?

Martin Owens-2
Hi Steve,

What you're looking at there is draft svg specification. Something that
wasn't accepted as svg. At the moment, SVG 1.1 and 2.0 both don't have
connector support. This specification was spun out into a module
because it's not useful to web browsers, so it sits over there waiting
for someone to add it to inkscape.

But even if we did, it wouldn't be supported in browsers, it'd just be
useful to us. So not exactly useful overall.

What was your plan?

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 16:57 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to be able to make an *SVG* connector that doesn't rely on the
> facilities of Inkscape to do its thing. According to this URL there
> is
> such a thing:
>
> https://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/connector/SVGConnector.html#ConnectorE
> lement
>
> When I make a connector in Inkscape using the little connector
> symbol,
> in XML it shows up as a path, not a connector, and it has
> inkscape:connector-type. When I save as plain SVG, the
> inkscape:connector-type goes away, and it's nothing more than a line
> segment.
>
> How do I make a real SVG connector in Inkscape?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve LittĀ
> May 2017 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: How to make an *SVG* connector?

C R
As someone who uses connectors all the damn time, I'd like to toss in
support for... uh more support. :D
They actually slow down inkscape, and the more of them they are the
worse it gets. If someone could fix that and bring proper support to
svg (even Inkscape's svg 2.0+ that will surely result from continued
development) I'm all for it. I know others who also want better
connector support as well.

-C

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> What you're looking at there is draft svg specification. Something that
> wasn't accepted as svg. At the moment, SVG 1.1 and 2.0 both don't have
> connector support. This specification was spun out into a module
> because it's not useful to web browsers, so it sits over there waiting
> for someone to add it to inkscape.
>
> But even if we did, it wouldn't be supported in browsers, it'd just be
> useful to us. So not exactly useful overall.
>
> What was your plan?
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 16:57 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to be able to make an *SVG* connector that doesn't rely on the
>> facilities of Inkscape to do its thing. According to this URL there
>> is
>> such a thing:
>>
>> https://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/connector/SVGConnector.html#ConnectorE
>> lement
>>
>> When I make a connector in Inkscape using the little connector
>> symbol,
>> in XML it shows up as a path, not a connector, and it has
>> inkscape:connector-type. When I save as plain SVG, the
>> inkscape:connector-type goes away, and it's nothing more than a line
>> segment.
>>
>> How do I make a real SVG connector in Inkscape?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>> Steve Litt
>> May 2017 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: How to make an *SVG* connector?

Steve Litt
On Fri, 12 May 2017 17:16:17 -0400
Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> What you're looking at there is draft svg specification. Something
> that wasn't accepted as svg. At the moment, SVG 1.1 and 2.0 both
> don't have connector support. This specification was spun out into a
> module because it's not useful to web browsers, so it sits over there
> waiting for someone to add it to inkscape.
>
> But even if we did, it wouldn't be supported in browsers, it'd just be
> useful to us. So not exactly useful overall.
>
> What was your plan?

I'm making a web page with lots of screw heads, and when you click two
of them, a connector (wire) connects the two of them. If they'd worked
in a browser, SVG connectors would have been the easiest way to do
this. But now that I know SVG connectors won't work, I'll just use a
line segment and properly set its d property based on the cx and cy of
the two clicked screw heads. For a straight line segment, I think this
is going to be fairly easy. To get good looking curved wires will
require quite a few calculations.

But before I went to all that trouble, I just wanted to check and make
sure I couldn't use a SVG connector.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2017 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: How to make an *SVG* connector?

Steve Litt
On Fri, 12 May 2017 22:34:24 +0100
C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As someone who uses connectors all the damn time, I'd like to toss in
> support for... uh more support. :D
> They actually slow down inkscape, and the more of them they are the
> worse it gets. If someone could fix that and bring proper support to
> svg (even Inkscape's svg 2.0+ that will surely result from continued
> development) I'm all for it. I know others who also want better
> connector support as well.

Coincidentally, or perhaps not, today while I was messing around with a
connector in a drawing in Inkscape, my user interface started going so
slow I thought it wasn't responding. At the time, I chalked it up to
the fact that I was XML-editing the connector in ways it probably
shouldn't have been, as well as snaking it between "connector-avoid"
rectangles.

But after your mentioning that connectors make things go slow, perhaps
my experience was an example of what you're saying.

I've been using dia for block diagrams. Perhaps if Inkscape connectors
get a little faster I'll block diagram in Inkscape.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2017 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: How to make an *SVG* connector?

Victor Westmann
Hi Steve,

it's funny you mention this... because I was just thinking about this yesterday.

If we could make some symbols (Open Symbols) that could be pieces of diagrams.

It might be possible. What kind of diagrams are you talking about though?

--Victor Westmann

C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As someone who uses connectors all the damn time, I'd like to toss in
> support for... uh more support. :D
> They actually slow down inkscape, and the more of them they are the
> worse it gets. If someone could fix that and bring proper support to
> svg (even Inkscape's svg 2.0+ that will surely result from continued
> development) I'm all for it. I know others who also want better
> connector support as well.

Coincidentally, or perhaps not, today while I was messing around with a
connector in a drawing in Inkscape, my user interface started going so
slow I thought it wasn't responding. At the time, I chalked it up to
the fact that I was XML-editing the connector in ways it probably
shouldn't have been, as well as snaking it between "connector-avoid"
rectangles.

But after your mentioning that connectors make things go slow, perhaps
my experience was an example of what you're saying.

I've been using dia for block diagrams. Perhaps if Inkscape connectors
get a little faster I'll block diagram in Inkscape.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2017 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: How to make an *SVG* connector?

> As someone who uses connectors all the damn time, I'd like to toss in
support for... uh more support. :D

I agree!  It's a useful feature which could use some love  :-)