Quantcast

How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

area42

Hello,

i read an article about using custom GTK themes with GIMP
(http://apfelnase.de/2008/11/20/gimp-back-in-black/ ).
How to do this with Inkscape?

Cheers
Eckhard.

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

area42

Can no one tell me how to use a GTK dark theme with Inkscape?

Best regards
Eckhard.

Zitat von [hidden email]:

> Hello,
>
> i read an article about using custom GTK themes with GIMP
> (http://apfelnase.de/2008/11/20/gimp-back-in-black/ ).
> How to do this with Inkscape?
>
> Cheers
> Eckhard.

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

Jakub Jankiewicz
I have dark theme and I have Inkscape automatically dark the same as
Gimp (I use Ubuntu 10.10 - with Xfce that use GTK) when I was using
Gnome I believe I have dark windows too. All programs that I use are
black and themed.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:05:21 +0200
[hidden email] wrote:

> Can no one tell me how to use a GTK dark theme with Inkscape?
>
> Best regards
> Eckhard.
>

> Zitat von [hidden email]:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > i read an article about using custom GTK themes with GIMP
> > (http://apfelnase.de/2008/11/20/gimp-back-in-black/ ).
> > How to do this with Inkscape?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Eckhard.

www: http://jcubic.pl
twitter: http://twitter.com/jcubic
blog: http://jcubic.wordpress.com

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

su_v
On 26/07/2012 18:05, [hidden email] wrote:

> Can no one tell me how to use a GTK dark theme with Inkscape?

There is no GUI feature included in Inkscape.app which would offer to
switch from the GTK+ theme included in the app bundle to a custom one
installed elsewhere with a single click. Nor does Inkscape.app ship with
an alternative dark theme included.

Default gtkrc file (~/.gtkrc-2.0):
==================================
Inkscape detects the presence of the default gtkrc file '~/.gtkrc-2.0'
and will use it instead of the custom gtkrc file from the app bundle.

Switching to a different GTK+ theme (to be used with the precompiled Mac
OS X application bundle as well as other GTK+ apps installed on your
system) can be achieved by these steps:
1) download your GTK+ theme of choice
2) install it into '~/.themes'
3) create '~/.gtkrc-2.0' and refer to your new theme
   (e.g. 'gtk-theme-name = "Darkilouche"')
4) restart Inkscape

Note:
You will have to take care of print preview (use Preview.app instead of
evince), font family and size yourself, and will loose the custom 'Aqua
style'-imitating scrollbars.

Known limitations:
Current Inkscape packages for Mac OS X only includes these gtk theme engines:
- Clearlooks
- Crux
- Industrial
- Mist
- Redmond
- ThinIce
- Pixmap
- SVG
i.e. you can't use more modern themes found on the web based on theme
engines like aurora, equinox or murrine.

Example (assuming you have GIMP 2.8 from lisanet installed):
To use the dark theme included with latest GIMP on OS X (2.8p1):
create '~/.gtkrc-2.0' with this content:

# ---------------------------------
#
# default gtkrc file '~/.gtkrc-2.0'
#

# use dark theme 'Pro' from GIMP on OS X for all GTK+-based applications:
include "/Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Pro/gtkrc"

# Alternatively, use a theme installed into '~/.themes', e.g.
#gtk-theme-name="Darkilouche"

# to enable Preview.app as print preview, uncomment next line:
#gtk-print-preview-command="/usr/bin/open %f"

# ---------------------------------

Notes:
1) If you installed GIMP into a different folder, please adjust the
   path as needed.
2) OS X doesn't make it easy to create (and edit) hidden dot-files:
   use a real text editor (e.g. MacVim, TextWrangler or Sublime 2),
   or else work in the Terminal.

~suv

On 26/07/2012 19:52, ~suv wrote:
> On 26/07/2012 18:05, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Can no one tell me how to use a GTK dark theme with Inkscape?
>
> There is no GUI feature included in Inkscape.app which would offer to

<rest of instructions referring to Inkscape on Mac OS X snipped>

Sorry - please ignore my prior message: The link in the original mail to
the mac-specific blog entry:

> On 23/07/2012 19:51, [hidden email] wrote:
>> i read an article about using custom GTK themes with GIMP
>> (http://apfelnase.de/2008/11/20/gimp-back-in-black/ ).
>> How to do this with Inkscape?

tricked me into ignoring the subject specifically asking for a solution
on Ubuntu.

~suv

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

area42

I use on my Ubuntu Desktop a light theme but like to apply to inkscape
a dark theme.

I will not use a dark theme anywhere.

Best regards
Eckhard.

Zitat von Jakub Jankiewicz <[hidden email]>:

> I have dark theme and I have Inkscape automatically dark the same as
> Gimp (I use Ubuntu 10.10 - with Xfce that use GTK) when I was using
> Gnome I believe I have dark windows too. All programs that I use are
> black and themed.
>
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:05:21 +0200
> [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> Can no one tell me how to use a GTK dark theme with Inkscape?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Eckhard.
>>

>> Zitat von [hidden email]:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > i read an article about using custom GTK themes with GIMP
>> > (http://apfelnase.de/2008/11/20/gimp-back-in-black/ ).
>> > How to do this with Inkscape?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Eckhard.

> www: http://jcubic.pl
> twitter: http://twitter.com/jcubic
> blog: http://jcubic.wordpress.com

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

Jakub Jankiewicz
Will this email be included in Archive of the list and accessed from
the web? It would be nice if other people can find it when searching via
google.

On 26/07/2012 21:43, Jakub Jankiewicz wrote:
> Will this email be included in Archive of the list and accessed from
> the web? It would be nice if other people can find it when searching via
> google.

Yes, it's archived in the sourceforge mailing list archive:
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29594862>

and other web mailing lists archives as well, e.g.
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/38870>

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

area42

This hint is about MacOS X and does not work on Ubuntu 12.04.

I treid it and nothing happens.

I created a file ~/.gtkrc-2.0 that contains:

gtk-theme-name = "Clearlooks Human Dark"

My theme is located at ~/.themes/Clearlooks Human Dark

Nothing happens.

On 27/07/2012 15:48, [hidden email] wrote:
> This hint is about MacOS X and does not work on Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> I treid it and nothing happens.
(…)
> Nothing happens.

I already apologized that I got fooled by the link to a Mac-specific
blog in your original question, and asked you to ignore my post.

What additional steps could I do to fully amend my mistake of having
overlooked the keyword 'Ubuntu' at the end of the subject line? ;)

~suv (not an Ubuntu user)

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

area42

i tried:
GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc inkscape

via shell without success :(

Zitat von Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]>:

> Am Freitag, 27. Juli 2012 schrub [hidden email]:
>> This hint is about MacOS X and does not work on Ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> I treid it and nothing happens.
>>
>> I created a file ~/.gtkrc-2.0 that contains:
>>
>> gtk-theme-name = "Clearlooks Human Dark"
>>
>> My theme is located at ~/.themes/Clearlooks Human Dark
>>
>> Nothing happens.
>
> Have you tried setting the environment variable GTK2_RC_FILES to point to the
> right file?
>
>> Cheers
>> Eckhard.
>
> Tobias
>
> [...]

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

Bhavyesh
This post was updated on .

Hi friends, i found the method to set the skin of Inkscape interface to dark and also change the icons. This gave anew look to the whole interface and feels like working in illustrator. This require two thing to get changed. 1) Change the "icons.svg" file in the C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\icons directory. search in google for Tango Grey icons for Inkscape. and you will get the icons. Now rename the file you get to "icons". And replace it in C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\icons directory. Note ::: you can edit the file in inkscape itself but edit if you know how to as it may cause error. 2) Change the "gtkrc" file - interface setting file in the C:\Program Files\Inkscape\etc\gtk-2.0 directory Search the Google for "gtkrc" and replace this file in C:\Program Files\Inkscape\etc\gtk-2.0 directory. Also replace the files in subfolders of C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\themes so that you get the perfect result. if you dont find the required files then mail me at [hidden email]. i will send you the one

Re: How to use a custom GTK theme with Inkscape und Ubuntu 12.04

area42

Hi,

meanwhile i found a way to use my own dark theme with inkscape:
GTK2_RC_FILES=/path/gtkrcdark inkscape

and started to create my own theme (at the moment for GIMP):
http://dev.speed-dreams.org/Eckhard/blender-gimp-02.jpg

Cheers
Eckhard.