I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

Miguel Lopez
Hi Inkscape-devel subscriber and developers,

So, just as the title said. I am making a Krita series of file with the
icon suitable for the Windows Store. Why am I speaking of this?

As attached is the progress so far.

Because, it has come to my attention that someone thinks Inkscape in the
Windows Store is fake, and the icon alone, and the screenshots are very
telling signs that it is fake. So, now, I have decided to make a Krita
file to share for the icon. Also, the guy who shared the lie that
Inkscape is fake on Windows store also thinks Krita is fake within
Windows Store.

If you are that person that I want, if you would like me to proceed with
the creation of the icon, I would be happy to offer the icon. Right now,
this is all I'm going to do at the moment.

In any case, legitimacy is something to acknowledge as part of the project.

Also, .zip is rejected? Is there a list of rejected extensions so that I
wouldn't get Undeliverable message?

Thanks for reading,

Miguel Lopez

Inkscape Icon.7z (3M) Download Attachment

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

Brynn
I don't know anything about someone thinking Inkscape is fake.  Is that like
"fake news"?

However this post did cause me to look up Inkscape in the Windows Store.  The
icon certainly does look awful there!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/inkscape/9pd9bhglfc7h

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

C R
Agreed. I can see why they think it's fake.
Do we know who can change this? Did someone from the project upload this?

Thanks.
-C

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 7:12 PM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know anything about someone thinking Inkscape is fake.  Is that like
> "fake news"?
>
> However this post did cause me to look up Inkscape in the Windows Store.
> The icon certainly does look awful there!
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/inkscape/9pd9bhglfc7h
>
> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Miguel Lopez
> Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 10:38 PM
> To: Inkscape-Devel
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] I would like to speak to the person who compiled
> and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store
>

> Hi Inkscape-devel subscriber and developers,
>
> So, just as the title said. I am making a Krita series of file with the
> icon suitable for the Windows Store. Why am I speaking of this?
>
> As attached is the progress so far.
>
> Because, it has come to my attention that someone thinks Inkscape in the
> Windows Store is fake, and the icon alone, and the screenshots are very
> telling signs that it is fake. So, now, I have decided to make a Krita
> file to share for the icon. Also, the guy who shared the lie that
> Inkscape is fake on Windows store also thinks Krita is fake within
> Windows Store.
>
> If you are that person that I want, if you would like me to proceed with
> the creation of the icon, I would be happy to offer the icon. Right now,
> this is all I'm going to do at the moment.
>
> In any case, legitimacy is something to acknowledge as part of the project.
>
> Also, .zip is rejected? Is there a list of rejected extensions so that I
> wouldn't get Undeliverable message?
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> Miguel Lopez

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

You will need to contact Marc Jeanmougin, who set it up in the store.
I believe we already talked about the icon on the mailing list, and I
think it has been added by the Microsoft employees...

Ah, here it is:
Quote from the relevant list email by Marc:

"I don't think there is much I can do about it, it's likely the icon
pulled from the package, but probably transformed with a very poor
transparency support (converted at some point to a 1-bit alpha channel,
I guess), so the filter in the inkscape icon looks ugly.

I'm CCing David, maybe they can fix it on their side :p
"

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 11.06.2017 um 20:12 schrieb brynn:

> I don't know anything about someone thinking Inkscape is fake.  Is that
> like "fake news"?
>
> However this post did cause me to look up Inkscape in the Windows
> Store.  The icon certainly does look awful there!
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/inkscape/9pd9bhglfc7h
>
> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Miguel Lopez
> Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 10:38 PM
> To: Inkscape-Devel
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] I would like to speak to the person who
> compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store
>
> Hi Inkscape-devel subscriber and developers,
>
> So, just as the title said. I am making a Krita series of file with the
> icon suitable for the Windows Store. Why am I speaking of this?
>
> As attached is the progress so far.
>
> Because, it has come to my attention that someone thinks Inkscape in the
> Windows Store is fake, and the icon alone, and the screenshots are very
> telling signs that it is fake. So, now, I have decided to make a Krita
> file to share for the icon. Also, the guy who shared the lie that
> Inkscape is fake on Windows store also thinks Krita is fake within
> Windows Store.
>
> If you are that person that I want, if you would like me to proceed with
> the creation of the icon, I would be happy to offer the icon. Right now,
> this is all I'm going to do at the moment.
>
> In any case, legitimacy is something to acknowledge as part of the project.
>
> Also, .zip is rejected? Is there a list of rejected extensions so that I
> wouldn't get Undeliverable message?
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> Miguel Lopez

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

Martin Owens-2
We could edit the window download page that points to the Microsoft
link, making it clear who is the contact for the package and that it's
as official as any other download for inkscape.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 23:30 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> You will need to contact Marc Jeanmougin, who set it up in the store.
> I believe we already talked about the icon on the mailing list, and I
> think it has been added by the Microsoft employees...
>
> Ah, here it is:
> Quote from the relevant list email by Marc:
>
> "I don't think there is much I can do about it, it's likely the icon
> pulled from the package, but probably transformed with a very poor
> transparency support (converted at some point to a 1-bit alpha
> channel,
> I guess), so the filter in the inkscape icon looks ugly.
>
> I'm CCing David, maybe they can fix it on their side :p
> "
>
> Kind Regards,
>  Maren
>
> Am 11.06.2017 um 20:12 schrieb brynn:
> >
> > I don't know anything about someone thinking Inkscape is fake.  Is
> > that
> > like "fake news"?
> >
> > However this post did cause me to look up Inkscape in the Windows
> > Store.  The icon certainly does look awful there!
> >
> > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/inkscape/9pd9bhglfc7h
> >
> > All best,
> > brynn
> >
> > -----Original Message----- From: Miguel Lopez
> > Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 10:38 PM
> > To: Inkscape-Devel
> > Subject: [Inkscape-devel] I would like to speak to the person who
> > compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store
> >
> > Hi Inkscape-devel subscriber and developers,
> >
> > So, just as the title said. I am making a Krita series of file with
> > the
> > icon suitable for the Windows Store. Why am I speaking of this?
> >
> > As attached is the progress so far.
> >
> > Because, it has come to my attention that someone thinks Inkscape
> > in the
> > Windows Store is fake, and the icon alone, and the screenshots are
> > very
> > telling signs that it is fake. So, now, I have decided to make a
> > Krita
> > file to share for the icon. Also, the guy who shared the lie that
> > Inkscape is fake on Windows store also thinks Krita is fake within
> > Windows Store.
> >
> > If you are that person that I want, if you would like me to proceed
> > with
> > the creation of the icon, I would be happy to offer the icon. Right
> > now,
> > this is all I'm going to do at the moment.
> >
> > In any case, legitimacy is something to acknowledge as part of the
> > project.
> >
> > Also, .zip is rejected? Is there a list of rejected extensions so
> > that I
> > wouldn't get Undeliverable message?
> >
> > Thanks for reading,
> >
> > Miguel Lopez

> > -------------

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

Brynn
I was doing a bit of browsing, trying to find the alleged "fake" complaint.  All
I found was a bad review, regarding repeated crashes.  Arrgh!!

I see there's a link to the website, halfway down the page.

I wonder if we should have someone posting periodic reviews, saying how easy it
is to get support?  Maybe someone focused on writing such a review would be
likely to read such a review, and go for help?

> [...]

> > file to share for the icon. Also, the guy who shared the lie that
> > Inkscape is fake on Windows store also thinks Krita is fake within
> > Windows Store.
> >
> > If you are that person that I want, if you would like me to proceed
> > with
> > the creation of the icon, I would be happy to offer the icon. Right
> > now,
> > this is all I'm going to do at the moment.
> >
> > In any case, legitimacy is something to acknowledge as part of the
> > project.
> >
> > Also, .zip is rejected? Is there a list of rejected extensions so
> > that I
> > wouldn't get Undeliverable message?
> >
> > Thanks for reading,
> >
> > Miguel Lopez

> > -------------

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

It was on reddit, and there was a guy spamming about Krita and Inkscape
both being fake. It doesn't help that there's some sort of relationship
between open source community in general and Microsoft.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Inkscape/comments/6g2j8v/important_somebody_is_impersonating_inkscape_team/

I had to respond to him, and mentioned why the icon looks that way.

You can find him on r/Surface, and r/Krita. It's probably not the first
time someone brought it up.

If editing the icon is not a option, the next best course is to have the
page edited, and make it clear with a link and direction to get to the
link to authenticate the validity of the Windows 10S version of
Inkscape. Either way, I really rather not see this incident again, and
it's clear that Microsoft wants to support open-source software, but I
got to admit it's partly because they know some softwares will benefit
their goals of having the Store given attention. Now with business, you
can be assured that Windows 10S will be used for security purpose, and
in a lot of case, Inkscape will probably be part of the package. But,
I"m not here to discuss that, but only putting this out there.

Really, the 1-bit limitation is not something that should exist in 2017.

On 6/11/2017 8:43 PM, brynn wrote:

> [...]
>> > Inkscape is fake on Windows store also thinks Krita is fake within
>> > Windows Store.
>> >
>> > If you are that person that I want, if you would like me to proceed
>> > with
>> > the creation of the icon, I would be happy to offer the icon. Right
>> > now,
>> > this is all I'm going to do at the moment.
>> >
>> > In any case, legitimacy is something to acknowledge as part of the
>> > project.
>> >
>> > Also, .zip is rejected? Is there a list of rejected extensions so
>> > that I
>> > wouldn't get Undeliverable message?
>> >
>> > Thanks for reading,
>> >
>> > Miguel Lopez
>> >

>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------
>> > -------------

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

Hi, David Washington and Inkscape developers,

I believe I have my own solution the icon problem without requiring
additional source code or Microsoft fixing the 1-bit transparency
problem. Additional source code offers the benefits of having just
separate logo for Windows 10S and non 10S version, but requires
maintenance or additional time to maintain. If you note that many
application logo does not actually use shadows, it is perfectly
acceptable for the Inkscape application logo to lack shadow(s). Updating
the current Inkscape logo would help solve this.

In the attached files, it is the Inkscape logo without the shadows. It
is still beautiful with 1-bit transparency mask restriction.

Thanks,

Miguel Lopez

On 6/12/2017 11:27 AM, David Washington wrote:

> Hello!
>
> David from Microsoft here. Editing the icon is absolutely possible.
>
> This is done by updating the "store logo" on the developer portal. I believe Marc has the credentials to log in and fix this (I don't believe we have the ability to fix this on our end.)
>
> I don't have permissions to post attachments to this list but those of you who are on this direct email can view the attachment with the re-generated images that should be crisp and perfect on the store website.
>
> I understand how important this is. As a vector art tool, it doesn't make sense to have raster artifacts in the store logo. Let's work together to get this fixed.
>
> Cheers,
> David

>>> ink%2Fslashdot&data=02%7C01%7CDavid.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C8110
>>> 95b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7
>>> C0%7C636328295157844817&sdata=X5EtGz9RiXmIQRP80Sroxm%2FGR3N3W3h%2FCZd
>>> 8oyMHTb0%3D&reserved=0
>>> David.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C811095b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7
>>> C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636328295157844817&sdata=
>>> 4UMAaY5e8dhAtNs2xvFJLs0%2FbXcuXIlEffbbFQ%2B3rl0%3D&reserved=0
>> --------

>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org!
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.li
>> nk%2Fslashdot&data=02%7C01%7CDavid.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C811095
>> b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%
>> 7C636328295157844817&sdata=X5EtGz9RiXmIQRP80Sroxm%2FGR3N3W3h%2FCZd8oyM
>> HTb0%3D&reserved=0 _______________________________________________
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists
>> .sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Finkscape-devel&data=02%7C01%7CDa
>> vid.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C811095b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7C72
>> f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636328295157844817&sdata=4UMA
>> aY5e8dhAtNs2xvFJLs0%2FbXcuXIlEffbbFQ%2B3rl0%3D&reserved=0

>> --------

>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org!
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.li
>> nk%2Fslashdot&data=02%7C01%7CDavid.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C811095
>> b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%
>> 7C636328295157844817&sdata=X5EtGz9RiXmIQRP80Sroxm%2FGR3N3W3h%2FCZd8oyM
>> HTb0%3D&reserved=0 _______________________________________________
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists
>> .sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Finkscape-devel&data=02%7C01%7CDa
>> vid.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C811095b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7C72
>> f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636328295157844817&sdata=4UMA
>> aY5e8dhAtNs2xvFJLs0%2FbXcuXIlEffbbFQ%2B3rl0%3D&reserved=0

> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.link%2Fslashdot&data=02%7C01%7CDavid.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C811095b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636328295157844817&sdata=X5EtGz9RiXmIQRP80Sroxm%2FGR3N3W3h%2FCZd8oyMHTb0%3D&reserved=0
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Finkscape-devel&data=02%7C01%7CDavid.Washington%40microsoft.com%7C811095b9e6c44f4345c608d4b13688bd%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636328295157844817&sdata=4UMAaY5e8dhAtNs2xvFJLs0%2FbXcuXIlEffbbFQ%2B3rl0%3D&reserved=0

Inkscape Logo New.svg (55K) Download Attachment
inkscape.png (2K) Download Attachment

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

Marc Jeanmougin
Hi all,

The problem is not that I cannot or don't want to generate good-looking
icons, just that there is no way to upload them on the store. Despite
what's explained in the docs and in emails, there is no "Store logo"
section in the app settings, and no "For Windows 10 customers, display
uploaded logo images instead of the images from my packages" option.
However, this might change in the future (it's possible that the option
is just "not yet" available for me, as it might only have existed for
two weeks and might not have rolled out to all accounts)

Re screenshots, will probably upload some when I'll upload the logo. If
you want, you (or anyone) can just send me a few screenshots showing
essential features of inkscape in use on windows 10, ideally displaying
non-copyrighted art (CC-BY-* is ok, I can put the author name in the
caption, but not all from same author). PNG files, 1920x1080 ideally,
<20MB, max 9 files.

wrt "repeated crashes" review, with all that info, even if that person
came to irc, with that amount of info I cannot do anything, it's just
not supposed to happen^^

--
Mc

On 06/12/2017 03:58 AM, Miguel Lopez wrote:

> [...]
>>> You will need to contact Marc Jeanmougin, who set it up in the store.
>>> I believe we already talked about the icon on the mailing list, and I
>>> think it has been added by the Microsoft employees...
>>>
>>> Ah, here it is:
>>> Quote from the relevant list email by Marc:
>>>
>>> "I don't think there is much I can do about it, it's likely the icon
>>> pulled from the package, but probably transformed with a very poor
>>> transparency support (converted at some point to a 1-bit alpha
>>> channel,
>>> I guess), so the filter in the inkscape icon looks ugly.
>>>
>>> I'm CCing David, maybe they can fix it on their side :p
>>> "
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>  Maren

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

Boudewijn Rempt
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The problem is not that I cannot or don't want to generate good-looking
> icons, just that there is no way to upload them on the store. Despite
> what's explained in the docs and in emails, there is no "Store logo"
> section in the app settings, and no "For Windows 10 customers, display
> uploaded logo images instead of the images from my packages" option.
> However, this might change in the future (it's possible that the option
> is just "not yet" available for me, as it might only have existed for
> two weeks and might not have rolled out to all accounts)

I'm going to kind of the same problems with krita... With the additional
problem that after three weeks of trying I haven't been able to create
an update appx image. The problem is actually related: you can only redo
the store when uploading a new version. All the icons and screenshots
are in the "store listing" section, and you cannot change that once the
app is in the store, but need to upload a new version with a new listing.

At least, that's what I'm finding. The documentation is rather lacking,
and the dashboard page slow and confusing.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org

Re: I would like to speak to the person who compiled and uploaded Inkscape to the Windows Store

I think I see the problem.  I don't know why I never noticed it before, but
there's an unclipped blur (or 2 or 3), which must be intentional, in the
official logo.

https://inkscape.org/en/~inkscape/%E2%98%85inkscape-official-logo-vector

I don't know if it's a rumor, but someone mentioned the MS site doesn't handle
that partial transparency very well.  And it certainly appears as if that were
the problem, by how the logo looks there.  (It's not uncommon.  I've seen a lot
of sites like that.  ImageShack, for example.)

If this would solve the problem, I've created a version of the logo with a clip
path, so that the blur isn't extending.  The original is not changed at all.
Just put a clip path on top.

https://inkscapecommunity.com/jd/imgs/InkscapeLogo-w-clip.svg

Exported PNG:

https://inkscapecommunity.com/jd/imgs/InkscapeLogo-w-clip.png

Glad to provide the files, instead of just links.  Just don't want to attach
into the mailing list.