[IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

[IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

Bryce Harrington-3
This list has moved - you must resubscribe at https://lists.inkscape.org
to continue receiving email.

Inkscape is transitioning away from SourceForge, and upgrading to a
newer mailing list management service and a better email archive system.

If you are having subscription trouble and need assistance, please file
a ticket at http://inkscape.org/report.

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

Will Godfrey
On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 23:39:41 -0700
Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

>This list has moved - you must resubscribe at https://lists.inkscape.org
>to continue receiving email.
>
>Inkscape is transitioning away from SourceForge, and upgrading to a
>newer mailing list management service and a better email archive system.
>
>If you are having subscription trouble and need assistance, please file
>a ticket at http://inkscape.org/report.
>
>Bryce

Bye Bye

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof.
On Sun, 9 Jun 2019, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 23:39:41 -0700
> Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This list has moved - you must resubscribe at https://lists.inkscape.org
>> to continue receiving email.
>>
>> Inkscape is transitioning away from SourceForge, and upgrading to a
>> newer mailing list management service and a better email archive system.
>>
>> If you are having subscription trouble and need assistance, please file
>> a ticket at http://inkscape.org/report.
>>
>> Bryce
>>

> Bye Bye

Do you know when inkscape.org/community/mailing-lists/ will start
referring to lists.inkscape.org?

- Robert

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

Maren Hachmann
Am 09.06.19 um 14:02 schrieb W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof.:

> On Sun, 9 Jun 2019, Will Godfrey wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 23:39:41 -0700
>> Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> This list has moved - you must resubscribe at https://lists.inkscape.org
>>> to continue receiving email.
>>>
>>> Inkscape is transitioning away from SourceForge, and upgrading to a
>>> newer mailing list management service and a better email archive system.
>>>
>>> If you are having subscription trouble and need assistance, please file
>>> a ticket at http://inkscape.org/report.
>>>
>>> Bryce
>>>

>> Bye Bye
>
> Do you know when inkscape.org/community/mailing-lists/ will start
> referring to lists.inkscape.org?

- This was at 16:50 CEST today.

(I had prepared them, but still needed to publish).

Maren

> - Robert

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

doctormo
Hi Maren,

I'd changed the menus so they pointed directly at the new
lists.inkscape.org. There didn't seem to be a big reason to have a page
on the website to list the same data.

Where do we want to go? I'd be happy to reverse the changes.

Martin,

On Sun, 2019-06-09 at 16:51 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
> - This was at 16:50 CEST today.
>
> (I had prepared them, but still needed to publish).

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

Patrick Storz
Hi Martin,

If you want to link directly, at the very least it should indicate (in
the menu) that it's an external link.
Even if it would open in a new window (it doesn't) it would still be
unexpected to leave the website when using a link in the navigation
otherwise.

Maybe we can just keep a minimal page with one link (unless you feel the
UI change would be trivial)?

Cheers
Patrick

Am 09.06.2019 um 16:57 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi Maren,
>
> I'd changed the menus so they pointed directly at the new
> lists.inkscape.org. There didn't seem to be a big reason to have a page
> on the website to list the same data.
>
> Where do we want to go? I'd be happy to reverse the changes.
>
> Martin,
>
> On Sun, 2019-06-09 at 16:51 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>> - This was at 16:50 CEST today.
>>
>> (I had prepared them, but still needed to publish).

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

That's fine, I had thought about doing it, too. Just didn't want to go
through the asking and discussion phase.

It's semi-external. Maybe add a small unicode link icon after the menu
title?

Did you take care of translated menus, too, Martin? That would be nice,
as I already edited and published all the now-no-longer-needed pages.

Maren

Am 09.06.19 um 16:57 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi Maren,
>
> I'd changed the menus so they pointed directly at the new
> lists.inkscape.org. There didn't seem to be a big reason to have a page
> on the website to list the same data.
>
> Where do we want to go? I'd be happy to reverse the changes.
>
> Martin,
>
> On Sun, 2019-06-09 at 16:51 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>> - This was at 16:50 CEST today.
>>
>> (I had prepared them, but still needed to publish).

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof.
I would have thought that lists.inkscape.org was internal enough.
However, now that I've subscribed to 2 lists, following the link goes
to a page that just lists the 2 lists that I've subscribed to. I have
to find and follow a small-font link to 'see all lists' to see the
others. That might be a better thing to link to?

- Robert

On Sun, 2019-06-09 at 17:32 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:
> Maybe we can just keep a minimal page with one link (unless you feel
> the UI change would be trivial)?

No other external pages in the menu have external icons. Although they
could be added. Do you have admin privileges?

Am 09.06.2019 um 19:16 schrieb [hidden email]:
> On Sun, 2019-06-09 at 17:32 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:
>> Maybe we can just keep a minimal page with one link (unless you feel
>> the UI change would be trivial)?
> No other external pages in the menu have external icons. Although they
> could be added. Do you have admin privileges?
>
> Martin,

Are there any despite the "Community Chat" (which should be treated the
same way?) and the mostly outdated "Blog" (wich I'm not sure is suitable
for the main navigation)?

I'm a "website editor", not an admin.

On Mon, 2019-06-10 at 01:40 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:
> Are there any despite the "Community Chat" (which should be treated
> the
> same way?) and the mostly outdated "Blog" (wich I'm not sure is
> suitable
> for the main navigation)?
>
> I'm a "website editor", not an admin.

That's a good catch, I've added Menu editing to the Website Editor
group. Can you try this link and see if it works?

https://inkscape.org/admin/el_menu/menuitem/

Am 10.06.2019 um 02:57 schrieb [hidden email]:

> On Mon, 2019-06-10 at 01:40 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:
>> Are there any despite the "Community Chat" (which should be treated
>> the
>> same way?) and the mostly outdated "Blog" (wich I'm not sure is
>> suitable
>> for the main navigation)?
>>
>> I'm a "website editor", not an admin.
> That's a good catch, I've added Menu editing to the Website Editor
> group. Can you try this link and see if it works?
>
> https://inkscape.org/admin/el_menu/menuitem/
>
> Martin,

It works, but I'm not sure what I should do with it?

Do we have a way of marking external links via the admin interface?
(I'd expect a class to be set on external links and a little icon added
behind them via CSS or similar)

On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 01:10 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:
> It works, but I'm not sure what I should do with it?

You could add an emoji, maybe one that indicates an external link?

> Do we have a way of marking external links via the admin interface?
> (I'd expect a class to be set on external links and a little icon
> added behind them via CSS or similar)

We don't have anything like that, it wasn't in the original design way
back when (maybe ten years ago now?) and we're due for a refresh
anyway. Ryan's worked on some of that.

Am 11.06.2019 um 01:14 schrieb [hidden email]:
> On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 01:10 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:
>> It works, but I'm not sure what I should do with it?
> You could add an emoji, maybe one that indicates an external link?

Hm, OK, I had hoped there was a more reliable way, but as a fill-in it
might do.

>> Do we have a way of marking external links via the admin interface?
>> (I'd expect a class to be set on external links and a little icon
>> added behind them via CSS or similar)
> We don't have anything like that, it wasn't in the original design way
> back when (maybe ten years ago now?) and we're due for a refresh
> anyway. Ryan's worked on some of that.

Yes, that's why I asked initially and suggested to keep it a local link
otherwise. I feel it's important. Sites that take me to an external link
or another website within the same subdomain without telling me always
feel untrustworthy (or annoying at best) both of which we certainly want
to avoid.

Cheers
Patrick

Am 11.06.2019 um 01:20 schrieb Patrick Storz:
Am 11.06.2019 um 01:14 schrieb [hidden email]:
On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 01:10 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:
It works, but I'm not sure what I should do with it?
You could add an emoji, maybe one that indicates an external link?

Hm, OK, I had hoped there was a more reliable way, but as a fill-in it
might do.

Unfortunately there's no "external link" icon in unicode.

I'd hoped to be able to use something along the lines of MediaWiki:

    https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-Vector/blob/master/images/external-link-ltr-icon.svg https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-Vector/master/images/external-link-ltr-icon.png
    https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-Vector/blob/master/images/external-link-rtl-icon.svg https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-Vector/master/images/external-link-rtl-icon.png

Next best things: ➚ ⬈
Not sure if thex're particularly clear, though.

Re: [IMPORTANT] This mailing list ahs moved to lists.inkscape.org!

Bugzilla from phb@hbsys.plus.com
On 09/06/2019 07:39, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> This list has moved - you must resubscribe at https://lists.inkscape.org
> to continue receiving email.
>
> Inkscape is transitioning away from SourceForge, and upgrading to a
> newer mailing list management service and a better email archive system.
>
> If you are having subscription trouble and need assistance, please file
> a ticket at http://inkscape.org/report.

Re-subscribing is not a very useful process, for me at least. Having
entered an e-mail address and a password, the expected confirmatory
e-mail has not yet arrived after a several hours wait. Following the
instruction to report this as a bug it seems that being subscribed is a
necessary pre-condition!

Peter HB

Am 11.06.19 um 02:00 schrieb Peter Hillier-Brook:

> On 09/06/2019 07:39, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> This list has moved - you must resubscribe at https://lists.inkscape.org
>> to continue receiving email.
>>
>> Inkscape is transitioning away from SourceForge, and upgrading to a
>> newer mailing list management service and a better email archive system.
>>
>> If you are having subscription trouble and need assistance, please file
>> a ticket at http://inkscape.org/report.
>
> Re-subscribing is not a very useful process, for me at least. Having
> entered an e-mail address and a password, the expected confirmatory
> e-mail has not yet arrived after a several hours wait. Following the
> instruction to report this as a bug it seems that being subscribed is a
> necessary pre-condition!
>
> Peter HB

The account you need for reporting bugs on gitlab is different from the
one you need for lists.inkscape.org.

Please make one, Peter!

On 11/06/2019 12:38, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 11.06.19 um 02:00 schrieb Peter Hillier-Brook:
>> On 09/06/2019 07:39, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>> This list has moved - you must resubscribe at https://lists.inkscape.org
>>> to continue receiving email.
>>>
>>> Inkscape is transitioning away from SourceForge, and upgrading to a
>>> newer mailing list management service and a better email archive system.
>>>
>>> If you are having subscription trouble and need assistance, please file
>>> a ticket at http://inkscape.org/report.
>>
>> Re-subscribing is not a very useful process, for me at least. Having
>> entered an e-mail address and a password, the expected confirmatory
>> e-mail has not yet arrived after a several hours wait. Following the
>> instruction to report this as a bug it seems that being subscribed is a
>> necessary pre-condition!
>>
>> Peter HB
>
> The account you need for reporting bugs on gitlab is different from the
> one you need for lists.inkscape.org.
>
> Please make one, Peter!
>
> Maren

Thanks for the response, Maren. I've regretfully reached the conclusion
that it's not worth the trouble so I'll wish you all, "hail and farewell"

Peter HB