Icons in png

Jabier Arraiza
Hi, what about loading icons in PNG instead SVG? I think it speedup
launch.

Re: Icons in png

Patrick Storz
Am 02.09.2018 um 22:17 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
> Hi, what about loading icons in PNG instead SVG? I think it speedup
> launch.

Could you clarify what you mean by "loading icons in PNG"?
a) Do you want to ship pre-rendered versions of the SVG icons? Or
b) Do you want to pre-render PNGs from the shipped SVGs as part of the
installation process / first launch sequence?
c) Do you simply want to cache the rendering at runtime?

If a)/b) I feel like the slight increase in startup time might not worth
the duplication of the content and complexity and maintenance effort
(especially as we'd need multiple resolutions to account for all
possible user-settable icon sizes and scaling factors on high DPI
displays and it might be easy to still miss some in the end).

If c) we actually had some code for pre-rendering/caching icons
previously (see the preference "Pre-render named icons", i.e.
"/options/iconrender/named_nodelay") which is dead/unused now. If it
helps performance it might be worth investigating to revive it.
Otherwise it should probably be removed at some point.

Best Regards,
Patrick

Re: Icons in png

Martin Owens-2
It's worth measuring the time delay between loading svgs vs. loading
pngs.

I can see for example us making sure Windows and Mac builds ship with
PNG files. But only if the time difference is more than 2x (And I think
it might be tbh, the delay in caching icons has been a problem for a
while)

On linux systems it's often possible to let the user know that
something is happening.

Best Regards, Martin OWens

On Sun, 2018-09-02 at 23:13 +0200, Patrick Storz wrote:

> Am 02.09.2018 um 22:17 schrieb Jabier Arraiza:
> > Hi, what about loading icons in PNG instead SVG? I think it speedup
> > launch.
>
> Could you clarify what you mean by "loading icons in PNG"?
> a) Do you want to ship pre-rendered versions of the SVG icons? Or
> b) Do you want to pre-render PNGs from the shipped SVGs as part of
> the
> installation process / first launch sequence?
> c) Do you simply want to cache the rendering at runtime?
>
> If a)/b) I feel like the slight increase in startup time might not
> worth
> the duplication of the content and complexity and maintenance effort
> (especially as we'd need multiple resolutions to account for all
> possible user-settable icon sizes and scaling factors on high DPI
> displays and it might be easy to still miss some in the end).
>
> If c) we actually had some code for pre-rendering/caching icons
> previously (see the preference "Pre-render named icons", i.e.
> "/options/iconrender/named_nodelay") which is dead/unused now. If it
> helps performance it might be worth investigating to revive it.
> Otherwise it should probably be removed at some point.
>
> Best Regards,
> Patrick

Re: Icons in png

Patrick Storz
Am 03.09.2018 um 01:52 schrieb [hidden email]:
> It's worth measuring the time delay between loading svgs vs. loading
> pngs.

Having some quantitative data will certainly make it easier to make an
informed choice and decide how to proceed.

> I can see for example us making sure Windows and Mac builds ship with
> PNG files.
How is Linux different from everything else? Or did you mean it's easier
to implement a post-install hook on Linux? Still I'm afraid it might
make packaging on any OS more fragile / complicated.

> But only if the time difference is more than 2x
I'd even go as far as to say if the difference in startup times differs
by more than a factor of 2. First of all we need to know how much of the
overall startup time is actually caused by rendering SVG icons. If we'd
speed up loading of icons significantly, but loading of icons was only a
fraction of the overall startup time, the gain would still be negligible.

> (And I think it might be tbh, the delay in caching icons has been a problem for a while)
Are you sure you're not confusing this with the delay of crating the
font cache? That's the only notable delay I'm aware of on Windows, and
it has been addressed in fontconfig recently.

Regards,
Patrick