Icons still missing in trunk

C R
These have been gone for quite some time now. I've just completed a successful compiling of trunk, and get the same results as I've seen in the inkscape-trunk repo. Icons missing as here:

Anyone know where these icons went off to? :) I really miss working with trunk. it has all my favourite toys. ;(

Using Ubuntu 18.04, freshly compiled trunk
inkscape-master_2018.09.02.23.53.45f8fb46e9d2-1_amd64.deb

Icons still missing in trunk

Maren Hachmann
These look like the icons that should be supplied by the system
(hicolor-icon-theme with print, open file, save file +, -, ...).

Could it be similar to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1784226 ?

(I don't have the issue on 16.04. This bug report for Xubuntu points to
a difference in theme handling between 16.04 and 18.04 - maybe it's
relevant, no idea:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-default-settings/+bug/1756187)

Maren

Am 03.09.2018 um 01:52 schrieb C R:

> These have been gone for quite some time now. I've just completed a
> successful compiling of trunk, and get the same results as I've seen in
> the inkscape-trunk repo. Icons missing as here:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/6w9Yrdc
>
> Anyone know where these icons went off to? :) I really miss working with
> trunk. it has all my favourite toys. ;(
>
> Using Ubuntu 18.04, freshly compiled trunk
> inkscape-master_2018.09.02.23.53.45f8fb46e9d2-1_amd64.deb

Re: Icons still missing in trunk

Jabier Arraiza
I give a try to make a virtual box with this ubuntu version.
Im a bit busy lately, sorry if need wait.

Regards.

)

Maren

Am 03.09.2018 um 01:52 schrieb C R:

> These have been gone for quite some time now. I've just completed a
> successful compiling of trunk, and get the same results as I've seen
> in
> the inkscape-trunk repo. Icons missing as here:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/6w9Yrdc
>
> Anyone know where these icons went off to? :) I really miss working
> with
> trunk. it has all my favourite toys. ;(
>
> Using Ubuntu 18.04, freshly compiled trunk
> inkscape-master_2018.09.02.23.53.45f8fb46e9d2-1_amd64.deb

Re: Icons still missing in trunk

Hi CR.

You have this package instaled?
https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/hicolor-icon-theme

Regards.

Re: Icons still missing in trunk

C R
I've determined that the fault lies in the theme attribute: "Change Icon Theme" being set to "hicolor". Changing this value to "use system icons" adds the missing icons back. I think we should never ever rely on system icons in Inkscape.

Inkscape should contain a full set of its own icons at the very least in the default setup.
That users should be greeted with missing icons on a fresh install in any OS, for any reason is an intolerable UX problem. Can I help remedy this situation?

Thanks.
-C

Am 03.09.2018 um 18:25 schrieb C R:
> I've determined that the fault lies in the theme attribute: "Change Icon
> Theme" being set to "hicolor". Changing this value to "use system icons"
> adds the missing icons back. I think we should never ever rely on system
> icons in Inkscape.

The problem doesn't exist on 16.04 (I have hicolor selected). So it
appears it's a bug, which hopefully can be fixed with the appropriate info.

For consistency with the user's system, I think it is /intended/ that it
uses the same icons as the system. Duplicating them doesn't look like a
solution to me (even if it would fix the problem for everyone) ...

I'm not sure about having our own set of system icons - I believe it's
not how it's supposed to work for a default fallback theme that should
be installed on every system, and thus this would need some
discussion/input from those who are more knowledgeable.

Maren