Importing an ancient binary vector format

Importing an ancient binary vector format

Nick Fox-Gieg
Hey, I'm looking to recreate a decoder for NAPLPS, an '80s binary vector format, to restore some art games made at InterAccess in Toronto in time for the 35th anniversary of the project next year.

I thought an InkScape import plugin might be a great place to start--I have the NAPLPS spec and examples collected here:

The holdup is, I've never worked with binary formats before, so I was wondering if anybody had advice how to best start tackling the problem?

Thanks!
Nick

Re: Importing an ancient binary vector format

Shlomi Fish
Hi Nick,

perhaps look into https://pypi.python.org/pypi/construct or its Perl spin-off
https://metacpan.org/release/Data-ParseBinary . Good luck!

> Thanks!
> Nick

Re: Importing an ancient binary vector format

Mark Schafer

Hi Nick,

If you're a python guy - consider hachoir to help reverse engineer binary formats
- https://github.com/vstinner/hachoir3

On 11/21/2017 3:00 AM, Nick Fox-Gieg wrote:
Hey, I'm looking to recreate a decoder for NAPLPS, an '80s binary vector format, to restore some art games made at InterAccess in Toronto in time for the 35th anniversary of the project next year.

I thought an InkScape import plugin might be a great place to start--I have the NAPLPS spec and examples collected here:

The holdup is, I've never worked with binary formats before, so I was wondering if anybody had advice how to best start tackling the problem?

Thanks!
Nick

Re: Importing an ancient binary vector format

Chris Tooley
Nick,

This is pretty neat, does your project have a website? I'd like to know more information about it :)  What about the format is holding you up? It looks like you have some code from a number of sources that can read and display NAPLPS files?