We're getting close to being ready to make the 0.42 release. Currently
we are in Feature Freeze mode while we fix bugs. We've closed a lot of
bugs over the past few weeks and are nearly ready to move into the next
Here is our process:
1. Start of release process - Finish up work on features.
2. Feature Freeze Mode - Shift focus from feature implementation to bug
fixing <--- ** You are here **
3. Hard Freeze - Two freeze wardens are named. All development must be
done as patches submitted to the freeze wardens for review and
4. Branch - The codebase is tagged and branched. Final release tarball
is posted. The codebase is returned to regular open development.
5. Packaging - Three days are allowed for creating release dists
(rpm's, deb's, exe's, and autopackages).
6. Release Announcement - A Release Announcement and a Press Release
are written and circulated to relevant online news sites. Our
Freshmeat record is updated.
Judging from the speed of our development work, we may be entering into
Hard Freeze mode as early as this weekend.
At this time, in addition to resolving the remaining 'Must Fix' bugs, we
need to wrap up work on the following:
* Everyone who has added features, please describe your work on the
* Arpad, can you let translators know we will be in Hard Freeze
(including String Freeze) in about a week?
* ScislaC, would you mind bringing AUTHORS up to date? Several
people have submitted patches lately, and I want to make sure
we have all the credits in time for the about screen. :-)
* Jon & Kees, let me know if you two will be our Release Wardens this
* Bulia, please let us know if we have the right set of Must Fix
bugs accounted for.
* Ted, when you get a chance, can you put up another pre-release
* Rejon, can you prepare a preliminary press release for us? It's
been a while since we had a release, so this will be important
Adib Taraben wrote:
> the tarball misses some makefile.mingw that are needed for win32
Okay. Makefile.mingw and Makefile.mingw.common?
> I checked out the RELEASE_0_42_0_PRE1 and compiled it.
> Then I stripped the exe and used a modified Installer srcipt for a
> installation set.
> The modifications are: (diff attached, nothing magic)
> stripping and lzma compression addresses:
> 1155567 Too big exe for win32 distribution
> the additional registry keys to be deleted addresses:
> 1166358 uninstallation incomplete in Win32
> If you give me the ok I can upload that to the upload.sf.net.
> Awaiting your response.
Sorry to take so long, if you can upload it, that would be great!
Actually I run further on and reviewed the installer.
Now it (should) support: (I only have XP and 2000)
-complete windows "stylish", without anoying mesasge boxes
therefore it uses the prepared dialogs
-ask to remove the the personal preferences file
Unfortunately the questions to ask etc are different and so all the
translations have to be redo. Currently only english and german is
there. I commented the others out. :-(
However I packed with the new thing Inkscape-0.41+0.42pre1-1.win32.exe
and put to the incoming directory already.
I put the installer thing on the patch tracker: 1233880 "new win32
If you thing the new installer is unacceptable so short before the
upcomming release I will repack the whole thing. No problem.
Ted Gould schrieb:
> Adib Taraben wrote:
>> the tarball misses some makefile.mingw that are needed for win32
> Okay. Makefile.mingw and Makefile.mingw.common?
>> I checked out the RELEASE_0_42_0_PRE1 and compiled it.
>> Then I stripped the exe and used a modified Installer srcipt for a
>> installation set.
>> The modifications are: (diff attached, nothing magic)
>> stripping and lzma compression addresses:
>> 1155567 Too big exe for win32 distribution
>> the additional registry keys to be deleted addresses:
>> 1166358 uninstallation incomplete in Win32
>> If you give me the ok I can upload that to the upload.sf.net.
>> Awaiting your response.
> Sorry to take so long, if you can upload it, that would be great!