Inkscape 0.49 Release? Is Inkscape Development Frozen?

Inkscape 0.49 Release? Is Inkscape Development Frozen?

jon@rejon.org
Hey dudez, long time no rejon ;)

Over at my company http://fabricatorz.com we are pushing on new
changes to Open Clip Art Library (OCAL). One thing that is really
important is to get a new version of Inkscape out so that the most
popular Inkscape downloaded Windows has working OCAL import working.

How close is the release? How can we help and/or accelerate it?

Who is in charge of releases now?

Also, checking out http://inkscape.org I notice no news in about a
year now on the main page of the site. Let's make some big news!!!

I hope everyone is truly well! Don't forget about Open Clip Art
Library! We even have some new code for an updated site over at
github: http://github.com/openclipart

Cheerz!

Jon

--
Jon Phillips 王✳ http://fabricatorz.com ✳ skype: kidproto ✳ irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) ✳ +86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)

Re: Inkscape 0.49 Release? Is Inkscape Development Frozen?

doctormo
On Sat, 2013-03-30 at 20:46 +0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> I hope everyone is truly well! Don't forget about Open Clip Art
> Library!

I wanted to ask you how easy it would be to tag works with lots of
symbols as symbol collections and then query those for use in inkscape
instead of shipping lots of them in the package.

Re: Inkscape 0.49 Release? Is Inkscape Development Frozen?

Josh Andler

Hey rejon,

No, we're not frozen. At this point I'd say we're lucky if we get a release out by fall. If you guys want to help, the best way would be with code. Please check out the list of bugs blocking the release: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bugs?field.tag=blocker

Unfortunately a good number of them are probably not easily tackled and require someone to take some time to learn the related code and track down.

I've been the standing release warden for a few years now. We definitely don't forget about OCAL and it's my first stop when looking for preferably licensed clip art.

Cheers,
Josh

On Mar 30, 2013 6:15 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave Crossland

Hi

On 30 March 2013 18:35, Josh Andler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately a good number of them are probably not easily tackled and require someone to take some time to learn the related code and track down.

I'd like to propose a crowdfunding effort to hire someone to sort these out.

Waiting 6 months sucks :(

--
Cheers
Dave

Re: Inkscape 0.49 Release? Is Inkscape Development Frozen?

Dave Crossland
Also, does this mean the licensing problem has been resolved?

Re: Inkscape 0.49 Release? Is Inkscape Development Frozen?

Josh Andler

The license stuff is pretty much figured out to the best of my knowledge. We are a GPL 3 project with mostly GPL 2+ code, also, some things that a dual or compatibly licensed. This needs to be reflected in our copying file.

Sorry for the brief response, I need to go resume moving.

Cheers,
Josh

On Mar 30, 2013 11:48 AM, "Dave Crossland" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, does this mean the licensing problem has been resolved?

Re: Inkscape 0.49 Release? Is Inkscape Development Frozen?

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM, jon wrote:

> Also, checking out http://inkscape.org I notice no news in about a
> year now on the main page of the site.

It was simply a typo. The latest news is from March 14, 2013.

Fixed.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org

On 30 March 2013 18:55, Josh Andler <[hidden email]> wrote:
The license stuff is pretty much figured out

AWESOME :D

It seems to me that LGM would be an ideal place to try to raise funds for Inkscape to get shipped in Q2 rather than Q3/4

--
Cheers
Dave