Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Bryce Harrington-3
This is a pre-release for the upcoming stable bugfix release 0.92.1.
Download it at:

    https://inkscape.org/en/download/development-versions

The release is:

    0.92.1pre2   Source Tarball Bzip
    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/item/10661/inkscape-0.92.1pre2.tar.bz2

We are now in final freeze prior to release.  Barring any last minute
issues, 0.92.1 will be identical to the above tarball except for the
version number.  We'll let things settle for a few days and hopefully
finalize the release this weekend.

== Translations ==

Translation work is done.  Please hold off on further updates until
we're ready to start work on 0.92.2.

== Future Releases ==

0.92.2-targeted bugfixing work can begin on the 0.92.x branch once
the 0.92.1 tarball's been cut, probably this weekend.  A schedule will
be established at that time as well, targeting a 0.92.2 release in
April.

A 0.92.3 release sometime around July seems likely.  I'm hoping to
continue with subsequent point releases on a roughly 2-3 month interval,
so users can depend on the 0.92 series as a 'long term stable' (LTS)
product.

Work towards 0.93 is already underway in Inkscape's trunk repository.
In order to modernize Inkscape for ongoing maintenance, there are
several large transitions we need to undertake, including a move to
Gtk3, re-engineering the Mac OS X installation packaging, introduction
of C++-11 code constructs, dropping of our legacy automake build system,
migration of the project to git, and more.  We had elected to hold off
on these transitions for 0.92 so that release could focus on long term
stability first and foremost, with 0.93's focus being on taking the more
aggressive steps to move Inkscape forward.

I am hoping a 0.93 release can be achieved within the calendar year,
though much work remains.  Assistance with testing is invaluable and I
hope many people will join in following the trunk codebase; however, I
know that building Inkscape can be a challenge, and we lack nightly
builds on a few platforms, so I may attempt some form of interim
snapshot preview release this summer to enable some broader testing
before we're too far through 0.93's development cycle.

Re: Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Bryce Harrington-3
On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 02:33:27PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> This is a pre-release for the upcoming stable bugfix release 0.92.1.
> Download it at:
>
>     https://inkscape.org/en/download/development-versions
>
> The release is:
>
>     0.92.1pre2   Source Tarball Bzip
>     https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/item/10661/inkscape-0.92.1pre2.tar.bz2
>
> We are now in final freeze prior to release.  Barring any last minute
> issues, 0.92.1 will be identical to the above tarball except for the
> version number.  We'll let things settle for a few days and hopefully
> finalize the release this weekend.

And release notes are here:

  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92.1

> == Translations ==
>
> Translation work is done.  Please hold off on further updates until
> we're ready to start work on 0.92.2.
>

> == Future Releases ==
>
> 0.92.2-targeted bugfixing work can begin on the 0.92.x branch once
> the 0.92.1 tarball's been cut, probably this weekend.  A schedule will
> be established at that time as well, targeting a 0.92.2 release in
> April.
>
> A 0.92.3 release sometime around July seems likely.  I'm hoping to
> continue with subsequent point releases on a roughly 2-3 month interval,
> so users can depend on the 0.92 series as a 'long term stable' (LTS)
> product.
>
> Work towards 0.93 is already underway in Inkscape's trunk repository.
> In order to modernize Inkscape for ongoing maintenance, there are
> several large transitions we need to undertake, including a move to
> Gtk3, re-engineering the Mac OS X installation packaging, introduction
> of C++-11 code constructs, dropping of our legacy automake build system,
> migration of the project to git, and more.  We had elected to hold off
> on these transitions for 0.92 so that release could focus on long term
> stability first and foremost, with 0.93's focus being on taking the more
> aggressive steps to move Inkscape forward.
>
> I am hoping a 0.93 release can be achieved within the calendar year,
> though much work remains.  Assistance with testing is invaluable and I
> hope many people will join in following the trunk codebase; however, I
> know that building Inkscape can be a challenge, and we lack nightly
> builds on a few platforms, so I may attempt some form of interim
> snapshot preview release this summer to enable some broader testing
> before we're too far through 0.93's development cycle.
>
> Bryce

Re: Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Hi Bryce,

I've pasted your text into news as a first draft. I'd like to get this
message put together for our users and also broadcast it to a wider
area to attract new developers now we have a stronger direction.

Can you (and others) please review so we can make this a strong
message:
https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/805/

Thanks everyone.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Wed, 2017-02-08 at 14:33 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> This is a pre-release for the upcoming stable bugfix release 0.92.1.
> Download it at:
>
>     https://inkscape.org/en/download/development-versions
>
> The release is:
>
>     0.92.1pre2   Source Tarball Bzip
>     https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/item/10661/inkscape-0.92.1pre2.ta
> r.bz2
>
> We are now in final freeze prior to release.  Barring any last minute
> issues, 0.92.1 will be identical to the above tarball except for the
> version number.  We'll let things settle for a few days and hopefully
> finalize the release this weekend.
>

> == Translations ==
>
> Translation work is done.  Please hold off on further updates until
> we're ready to start work on 0.92.2.
>

> == Future Releases ==
>
> 0.92.2-targeted bugfixing work can begin on the 0.92.x branch once
> the 0.92.1 tarball's been cut, probably this weekend.  A schedule
> will
> be established at that time as well, targeting a 0.92.2 release in
> April.
>
> A 0.92.3 release sometime around July seems likely.  I'm hoping to
> continue with subsequent point releases on a roughly 2-3 month
> interval,
> so users can depend on the 0.92 series as a 'long term stable' (LTS)
> product.
>
> Work towards 0.93 is already underway in Inkscape's trunk repository.
> In order to modernize Inkscape for ongoing maintenance, there are
> several large transitions we need to undertake, including a move to
> Gtk3, re-engineering the Mac OS X installation packaging,
> introduction
> of C++-11 code constructs, dropping of our legacy automake build
> system,
> migration of the project to git, and more.  We had elected to hold
> off
> on these transitions for 0.92 so that release could focus on long
> term
> stability first and foremost, with 0.93's focus being on taking the
> more
> aggressive steps to move Inkscape forward.
>
> I am hoping a 0.93 release can be achieved within the calendar year,
> though much work remains.  Assistance with testing is invaluable and
> hope many people will join in following the trunk codebase; however,
> know that building Inkscape can be a challenge, and we lack nightly
> builds on a few platforms, so I may attempt some form of interim
> snapshot preview release this summer to enable some broader testing
> before we're too far through 0.93's development cycle.
>
> Bryce

Re: Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Bryce Harrington-3
[Dropping -user and -announce from CC]

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 06:56:08PM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:

> Hi Bryce,
>
> I've pasted your text into news as a first draft. I'd like to get this
> message put together for our users and also broadcast it to a wider
> area to attract new developers now we have a stronger direction.
>
> Can you (and others) please review so we can make this a strong
> message:
> https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/805/
>
> Thanks everyone.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Thanks for putting this together Martin!

Is review comments by email ok?  Just one thought so far:

"Inkscape is aiming to make a point release every three months or so this
 year as we create a more stable, git based, Gtk3 based and C++11 based
 project going forwards for the next 0.93 release sometime next year."

You may want to clarify the wording here to avoid leading people to
think that the 2-3 month cadence of releases will bring Gtk3 and so on.
Maybe something more like:

"Inkscape is aiming to support a stable-focused 0.92 version, with point
 releases every three months or so this year, as well as experimental
 versions as necessary transitions to git, Gtk3, and C++11 are
 introduced."

(I know 'as well as' is sloppy grammar, but the basic idea is to
message is that we're going to be providing parallel stable and
bleeding edge versions for the community.)

Bryce

> On Wed, 2017-02-08 at 14:33 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > This is a pre-release for the upcoming stable bugfix release 0.92.1.
> > Download it at:
> >
> >     https://inkscape.org/en/download/development-versions
> >
> > The release is:
> >
> >     0.92.1pre2   Source Tarball Bzip
> >     https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/item/10661/inkscape-0.92.1pre2.ta
> > r.bz2
> >
> > We are now in final freeze prior to release.  Barring any last minute
> > issues, 0.92.1 will be identical to the above tarball except for the
> > version number.  We'll let things settle for a few days and hopefully
> > finalize the release this weekend.
> >

> > == Translations ==
> >
> > Translation work is done.  Please hold off on further updates until
> > we're ready to start work on 0.92.2.
> >

> > == Future Releases ==
> >
> > 0.92.2-targeted bugfixing work can begin on the 0.92.x branch once
> > the 0.92.1 tarball's been cut, probably this weekend.  A schedule
> > will
> > be established at that time as well, targeting a 0.92.2 release in
> > April.
> >
> > A 0.92.3 release sometime around July seems likely.  I'm hoping to
> > continue with subsequent point releases on a roughly 2-3 month
> > interval,
> > so users can depend on the 0.92 series as a 'long term stable' (LTS)
> > product.
> >
> > Work towards 0.93 is already underway in Inkscape's trunk repository.
> > In order to modernize Inkscape for ongoing maintenance, there are
> > several large transitions we need to undertake, including a move to
> > Gtk3, re-engineering the Mac OS X installation packaging,
> > introduction
> > of C++-11 code constructs, dropping of our legacy automake build
> > system,
> > migration of the project to git, and more.  We had elected to hold
> > off
> > on these transitions for 0.92 so that release could focus on long
> > term
> > stability first and foremost, with 0.93's focus being on taking the
> > more
> > aggressive steps to move Inkscape forward.
> >
> > I am hoping a 0.93 release can be achieved within the calendar year,
> > though much work remains.  Assistance with testing is invaluable and
> > hope many people will join in following the trunk codebase; however,
> > know that building Inkscape can be a challenge, and we lack nightly
> > builds on a few platforms, so I may attempt some form of interim
> > snapshot preview release this summer to enable some broader testing
> > before we're too far through 0.93's development cycle.
> >
> > Bryce

Re: Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Martin Owens-2
> Thanks for putting this together Martin!
>
> Is review comments by email ok?  Just one thought so far:
>
> "Inkscape is aiming to make a point release every three months or so
> this
>  year as we create a more stable, git based, Gtk3 based and C++11
> based
>  project going forwards for the next 0.93 release sometime next
> year."
>
> You may want to clarify the wording here to avoid leading people to
> think that the 2-3 month cadence of releases will bring Gtk3 and so
> on.
> Maybe something more like:
>
> "Inkscape is aiming to support a stable-focused 0.92 version, with
> point
>  releases every three months or so this year, as well as experimental
>  versions as necessary transitions to git, Gtk3, and C++11 are
>  introduced."
>
> (I know 'as well as' is sloppy grammar, but the basic idea is to
> message is that we're going to be providing parallel stable and
> bleeding edge versions for the community.)

Thanks Bryce,

I've edited in your change, we could add a small paragraph saying what
we're looking for in new contributors too.

Re: Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

I wonder if all the references to "I" should be "we" or "developers"?  Unless
this is going to either be a signed letter or have a by-line?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 05:00:16PM -0700, brynn wrote:
> I wonder if all the references to "I" should be "we" or
> "developers"?  Unless this is going to either be a signed letter or
> have a by-line?

Sure, if everyone thinks it's an acceptable plan then that definitely
sounds like a better way to phrase it.

Bryce

> [...]
> >off
> >on these transitions for 0.92 so that release could focus on long
> >term
> >stability first and foremost, with 0.93's focus being on taking the
> >more
> >aggressive steps to move Inkscape forward.
> >
> >I am hoping a 0.93 release can be achieved within the calendar year,
> >though much work remains.  Assistance with testing is invaluable and
> >hope many people will join in following the trunk codebase; however,
> >know that building Inkscape can be a challenge, and we lack nightly
> >builds on a few platforms, so I may attempt some form of interim
> >snapshot preview release this summer to enable some broader testing
> >before we're too far through 0.93's development cycle.
> >
> >Bryce

Re: Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Brynn
It's just that if there's no author shown anywhere, how will people know whose
thoughts those are.  Even now, I'm not clear if it's Bryce or Martin.

Or changing the title could help to indicate this is one person's thoughts.
Bryce's 2017 Development Plan, for example.

This News item sort of diverges from most articles, which are written towards
the user community.  This one is more addressed to developers.  I'm not saying
it's good or bad.  Just noting how different it is.

Glad to help if I can.

On Fri, 2017-02-10 at 17:00 -0700, brynn wrote:
> I wonder if all the references to "I" should be "we" or
> "developers"?  Unless
> this is going to either be a signed letter or have a by-line?

We the project. So everyone can have review it and I don't mind.
Getting it in front of other people will be useful.

On Fri, 2017-02-10 at 21:09 -0700, brynn wrote:

> It's just that if there's no author shown anywhere, how will people
> know whose
> thoughts those are.  Even now, I'm not clear if it's Bryce or Martin.
>
> Or changing the title could help to indicate this is one person's
> thoughts.
> Bryce's 2017 Development Plan, for example.
>
> This News item sort of diverges from most articles, which are written
> towards
> the user community.  This one is more addressed to developers.  I'm
> not saying
> it's good or bad.  Just noting how different it is.

In a way I feel like having a few more development related articles
shows users that we're working on actual code, not just releases but
actively doing things.

It's nice to know we're a project in action. :-)

This plan can be voted on by developers if we feel strongly about
having checkboxes checked. But without other developers speaking up to
break the consensus (or in this case silent consensus) there's no
benefit to going down the rabbit hole. Bryce's ideas are good and I'd
stand by them as a project direction for which the whole project could
voice as the plan.

Do other developers want to add to the plan or bring up a concern?