Quantcast

Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Bryce Harrington-3
This is a pre-release for the upcoming stable bugfix release 0.92.1.
Download it at:

    https://inkscape.org/en/download/development-versions

The release is:

    0.92.1pre2   Source Tarball Bzip
    https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/item/10661/inkscape-0.92.1pre2.tar.bz2

We are now in final freeze prior to release.  Barring any last minute
issues, 0.92.1 will be identical to the above tarball except for the
version number.  We'll let things settle for a few days and hopefully
finalize the release this weekend.

== Translations ==

Translation work is done.  Please hold off on further updates until
we're ready to start work on 0.92.2.

== Future Releases ==

0.92.2-targeted bugfixing work can begin on the 0.92.x branch once
the 0.92.1 tarball's been cut, probably this weekend.  A schedule will
be established at that time as well, targeting a 0.92.2 release in
April.

A 0.92.3 release sometime around July seems likely.  I'm hoping to
continue with subsequent point releases on a roughly 2-3 month interval,
so users can depend on the 0.92 series as a 'long term stable' (LTS)
product.

Work towards 0.93 is already underway in Inkscape's trunk repository.
In order to modernize Inkscape for ongoing maintenance, there are
several large transitions we need to undertake, including a move to
Gtk3, re-engineering the Mac OS X installation packaging, introduction
of C++-11 code constructs, dropping of our legacy automake build system,
migration of the project to git, and more.  We had elected to hold off
on these transitions for 0.92 so that release could focus on long term
stability first and foremost, with 0.93's focus being on taking the more
aggressive steps to move Inkscape forward.

I am hoping a 0.93 release can be achieved within the calendar year,
though much work remains.  Assistance with testing is invaluable and I
hope many people will join in following the trunk codebase; however, I
know that building Inkscape can be a challenge, and we lack nightly
builds on a few platforms, so I may attempt some form of interim
snapshot preview release this summer to enable some broader testing
before we're too far through 0.93's development cycle.

Re: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape 0.92.1pre2 (release candidate) now available

Bryce Harrington-3
On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 02:33:27PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> This is a pre-release for the upcoming stable bugfix release 0.92.1.
> Download it at:
>
>     https://inkscape.org/en/download/development-versions
>
> The release is:
>
>     0.92.1pre2   Source Tarball Bzip
>     https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/item/10661/inkscape-0.92.1pre2.tar.bz2
>
> We are now in final freeze prior to release.  Barring any last minute
> issues, 0.92.1 will be identical to the above tarball except for the
> version number.  We'll let things settle for a few days and hopefully
> finalize the release this weekend.

And release notes are here:

  http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.92.1

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 05:00:16PM -0700, brynn wrote:
> I wonder if all the references to "I" should be "we" or
> "developers"?  Unless this is going to either be a signed letter or
> have a by-line?

Sure, if everyone thinks it's an acceptable plan then that definitely
sounds like a better way to phrase it.

Bryce