Quantcast

Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Tim Sheridan
If you use homebrew on macOS, then you can get Inkscape 0.92 by running:

brew install caskformula/caskformula/inkscape

(For non homebrew people, here's a glossary: formula => package built from source, tap => repository, cask => package redistributing an upstream binary)

This formula originates from the inkscape formula in the homebrew-gui tap. However, recently the homebrew-gui tap has been deprecated. In the case of Inkscape, the cask is considered the successor package. But since the inkscape cask is limited to official releases (or third party releases nominated by the Inkscape project), the cask will stay at 0.91.

So for the time being, I'll be maintaining the inkscape formula in this tap. Any contributions/improvements are welcome: https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula

Cheers,
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Chris Tooley
This works for me, I've been able to open, export and save.

I'll report back if I notice anything isn't working.

-Chris

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Tim Sheridan <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you use homebrew on macOS, then you can get Inkscape 0.92 by running:

brew install caskformula/caskformula/inkscape

(For non homebrew people, here's a glossary: formula => package built from source, tap => repository, cask => package redistributing an upstream binary)

This formula originates from the inkscape formula in the homebrew-gui tap. However, recently the homebrew-gui tap has been deprecated. In the case of Inkscape, the cask is considered the successor package. But since the inkscape cask is limited to official releases (or third party releases nominated by the Inkscape project), the cask will stay at 0.91.

So for the time being, I'll be maintaining the inkscape formula in this tap. Any contributions/improvements are welcome: https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula

Cheers,
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Chris Tooley
In fact, this seems to work a bit better and faster than the inkscape + XQuartz thing that I was using before. I've gone into the Application/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS, moved the old Inkscape executable to Inkscape.old and symlinked the newly installed inkscape 0.92 to Inkscape.

Now I have the inkscape icon with alt+tab, and I can run it from the quicklauncher!

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
This works for me, I've been able to open, export and save.

I'll report back if I notice anything isn't working.

-Chris

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Tim Sheridan <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you use homebrew on macOS, then you can get Inkscape 0.92 by running:

brew install caskformula/caskformula/inkscape

(For non homebrew people, here's a glossary: formula => package built from source, tap => repository, cask => package redistributing an upstream binary)

This formula originates from the inkscape formula in the homebrew-gui tap. However, recently the homebrew-gui tap has been deprecated. In the case of Inkscape, the cask is considered the successor package. But since the inkscape cask is limited to official releases (or third party releases nominated by the Inkscape project), the cask will stay at 0.91.

So for the time being, I'll be maintaining the inkscape formula in this tap. Any contributions/improvements are welcome: https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula

Cheers,
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Windell H. Oskay
Should issues with the homebrew version be directed to this mailing list or is there some better location where they should be discussed?


I am very glad that the homebrew option does exist, because I do use homebrew for other software. Homebrew and MacPorts are essentially incompatible with each other.

While the Mac homebrew version does work, both the installation and the end result do leave it as a "second class" mac application. (While that's fine for many of us, I'm hesitant to recommend it to Mac users who are not also developers.)

Amongst other things that I have noted with 0.92 through homebrew:
- Seems nice and fast
- It provides a menu bar with a nonfunctional "Quit" option. (It would be better if this option could be removed, somehow.)
- It shows a generic icon in the dock and application switcher. (This could potentially be rectified with Chris's solution below.)
- Both the trace bitmap and paint bucket tools are missing, even with potrace installed.


> On Jan 30, 2017, at 11:26 AM, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In fact, this seems to work a bit better and faster than the inkscape + XQuartz thing that I was using before. I've gone into the Application/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS, moved the old Inkscape executable to Inkscape.old and symlinked the newly installed inkscape 0.92 to Inkscape.
>
> Now I have the inkscape icon with alt+tab, and I can run it from the quicklauncher!
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This works for me, I've been able to open, export and save.
>
> I'll report back if I notice anything isn't working.
>
> -Chris
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Tim Sheridan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you use homebrew on macOS, then you can get Inkscape 0.92 by running:
>
> brew install caskformula/caskformula/inkscape
>
> (For non homebrew people, here's a glossary: formula => package built from source, tap => repository, cask => package redistributing an upstream binary)
>
> This formula originates from the inkscape formula in the homebrew-gui tap. However, recently the homebrew-gui tap has been deprecated. In the case of Inkscape, the cask is considered the successor package. But since the inkscape cask is limited to official releases (or third party releases nominated by the Inkscape project), the cask will stay at 0.91.
>
> So for the time being, I'll be maintaining the inkscape formula in this tap. Any contributions/improvements are welcome: https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula


Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
175 San Lazaro Ave, STE 150
Sunnyvale CA 94086
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Kirk Slowe
Can I have access to the source code so I can start working on creating a native Mac installer for 0.92.

kirk



On Jan 30, 2017, at 18:29, Windell H. Oskay <[hidden email]> wrote:

Should issues with the homebrew version be directed to this mailing list or is there some better location where they should be discussed?


I am very glad that the homebrew option does exist, because I do use homebrew for other software. Homebrew and MacPorts are essentially incompatible with each other.

While the Mac homebrew version does work, both the installation and the end result do leave it as a "second class" mac application. (While that's fine for many of us, I'm hesitant to recommend it to Mac users who are not also developers.)

Amongst other things that I have noted with 0.92 through homebrew:
- Seems nice and fast
- It provides a menu bar with a nonfunctional "Quit" option. (It would be better if this option could be removed, somehow.)
- It shows a generic icon in the dock and application switcher. (This could potentially be rectified with Chris's solution below.)
- Both the trace bitmap and paint bucket tools are missing, even with potrace installed.


On Jan 30, 2017, at 11:26 AM, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:

In fact, this seems to work a bit better and faster than the inkscape + XQuartz thing that I was using before. I've gone into the Application/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS, moved the old Inkscape executable to Inkscape.old and symlinked the newly installed inkscape 0.92 to Inkscape.

Now I have the inkscape icon with alt+tab, and I can run it from the quicklauncher!

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
This works for me, I've been able to open, export and save.

I'll report back if I notice anything isn't working.

-Chris

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Tim Sheridan <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you use homebrew on macOS, then you can get Inkscape 0.92 by running:

brew install caskformula/caskformula/inkscape

(For non homebrew people, here's a glossary: formula => package built from source, tap => repository, cask => package redistributing an upstream binary)

This formula originates from the inkscape formula in the homebrew-gui tap. However, recently the homebrew-gui tap has been deprecated. In the case of Inkscape, the cask is considered the successor package. But since the inkscape cask is limited to official releases (or third party releases nominated by the Inkscape project), the cask will stay at 0.91.

So for the time being, I'll be maintaining the inkscape formula in this tap. Any contributions/improvements are welcome: https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula


Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
175 San Lazaro Ave, STE 150 
Sunnyvale CA 94086
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Tim Sheridan
In reply to this post by Windell H. Oskay
Thanks for trying it, and the feedback, guys! 

> Should issues with the homebrew version be directed to this mailing list or is there some  
> better location where they should be discussed? 

For issues specific to the homebrew version, open an issue in the github project: https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula 

> While the Mac homebrew version does work, both the installation and the end result do 
> leave it as a "second class" mac application. (While that's fine for many of us, I'm hesitant 
> to recommend it to Mac users who are not also developers.) 

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend it for wider use by non-developer Mac users yet either. But it's an improvement for us homebrew users who don't want to run up a macports installation just for inkscape when we're using homebrew for everything else on our machines. :-) 

I would like to have it producing an app bundles too. Time permitting, I plan to work on this. 

> - Both the trace bitmap and paint bucket tools are missing, even with potrace installed.  

I've got both of these showing up since I added the potrace dependency. I'll try a build in a VM with fresh OS and homebrew installations to see that it's all working in a clean setup. 

Cheers, 
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Tim Sheridan
In reply to this post by Kirk Slowe
> Can I have access to the source code so I can start working on creating a native Mac installer 
> for 0.92.

You can see the homebrew formula here:

https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula/blob/master/Formula/inkscape.rb

Here's macports Portfile:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/graphics/inkscape/Portfile

Cheers,
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Brynn
Hi Kirk,
        And you might be able to get some help from the developers' IRC, if you
need it.

irc://irc.freenode.org/#inkscape-devel

Good luck,
brynn

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Sheridan
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 6:27 PM
To: Kirk Slowe
Cc: inkscape-devel
Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

> Can I have access to the source code so I can start working on creating a
> native Mac installer
> for 0.92.

You can see the homebrew formula here:

https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula/blob/master/Formula/inkscape.rb

Here's macports Portfile:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/graphics/inkscape/Portfile

Cheers,
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Kirk Slowe
Thanks Brynn. I will head over there if needs be.



> On Jan 31, 2017, at 09:05, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Kirk,
>       And you might be able to get some help from the developers' IRC, if you need it.
>
> irc://irc.freenode.org/#inkscape-devel
>
> Good luck,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Tim Sheridan
> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 6:27 PM
> To: Kirk Slowe
> Cc: inkscape-devel
> Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS
>
>> Can I have access to the source code so I can start working on creating a native Mac installer
>> for 0.92.
>
> You can see the homebrew formula here:
>
> https://github.com/caskformula/homebrew-caskformula/blob/master/Formula/inkscape.rb
>
> Here's macports Portfile:
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/graphics/inkscape/Portfile
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Julian Rendell
In reply to this post by Tim Sheridan

Dipping my toes into the inkscape-devel list.

I think there’s need for an “official” MacOS build for Inkscape.

e.g. this message: https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-devel/thread/9B4B6CD283CF47FA9B608BCDF0E95994%40brynnPC/#msg35637605

There are a few non-core(???) developers/advanced users trying to get MacOS packaging working again; both on this thread and e.g. https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/message/35584561/

(There’s a great gist with a working procedure, including patches linked in Atsuyoshi’s post: https://gist.github.com/atuyosi/ab5499a176b0b456bca98c44e2775cbb)

Question for core team:

If the packaging is figured out, does the Inkscape team have the resources to create and publish a Mac binary that can be hosted the same as the Windows/Linux builds? (I’m not sure what the CI/build infrastructure is for Inkscape.)

Extra: could the builds be signed so that they don’t raise security warnings?

For Kirk, Tim, Brynn, Windell, Chris, Lyndsy, Atsuyoshi- do you want to work together to try and solve this?

I’m most comfortable with git/github, and a quick google reveals there are some git to/from bzr tools (e.g. https://github.com/felipec/git-remote-bzr)

My suggestion would be to setup a git repo/project and manually pull in the latest 0.92 branch. Then pull in Atsuyoshi’s work, get it working locally, then in CI (travis?) In the interim, packages could be hosted as releases on the GitHub project page; hopefully the Inkscape project would be able to eventually pick up this work and make the github repo obsolete. (I’d suggest deleting the github repo at that point. No need for historic projects to add to user confusion ;-) )

I’m also happy to see it hosted elsewhere.

Let me know if you’d be interested in this and I’ll set up a repo/try to participate in figuring out the patches.

Thanks everyone!



Julian


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Windell H. Oskay

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Julian Rendell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dipping my toes into the inkscape-devel list.
>
> I think there’s need for an “official” MacOS build for Inkscape.
>
> Question for core team:
>
> If the packaging is figured out, does the Inkscape team have the resources to create and publish a Mac binary that can be hosted the same as the Windows/Linux builds? (I’m not sure what the CI/build infrastructure is for Inkscape.)
>
> Extra: could the builds be signed so that they don’t raise security warnings?
>
> For Kirk, Tim, Brynn, Windell, Chris, Lyndsy, Atsuyoshi- do you want to work together to try and solve this?

I'm happy to do what I can, but I do not have experience compiling and packaging applications of this scale. (I maintain a few extensions.)

If the application itself can be built, I do have the ability to build nice looking Mac installation DMGs with a click-through GPL license screen, all properly signed to avoid security warnings.


Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
175 San Lazaro Ave, STE 150
Sunnyvale CA 94086
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Martin Owens-2
In reply to this post by Julian Rendell
On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 15:21 -0500, Julian Rendell wrote:
> If the packaging is figured out, does the Inkscape team have the
> resources to create and publish a Mac binary that can be hosted the
> same as the Windows/Linux builds? (I’m not sure what the CI/build
> infrastructure is for Inkscape.)

Our publishing procedure is fairly simple.

 1. Have a user account on inkscape.org
 2. Modify your account with your name, picture and gpg key (a fake key
is ok, it must exist for you to upload an md5)
 3. Contact the website administrator to increase your quota from 10MB
 4. Upload your DMG along with an md5 or gpg signature
 5. Inform people on the inkscape mailing list to do any final testing
of the download. Provide a link. The files will be automatically cached
by our CDN.
 6. Change the website's CMS pages with the new links and announce more
widely.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Website Administrator

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Tim Sheridan
In reply to this post by Julian Rendell
Hi Julian,

> My suggestion would be to setup a git repo/project and manually pull in the
> latest 0.92 branch. Then pull in Atsuyoshi’s work, get it working locally,
> then in CI (travis?) In the interim, packages could be hosted as releases on
> the GitHub project page; hopefully the Inkscape project would be able to
> eventually pick up this work and make the github repo obsolete. (I’d suggest
> deleting the github repo at that point. No need for historic projects to add
> to user confusion ;-) )

I'd personally rather put effort into helping sort out the official
packaging situation rather than work on a satellite macOS packaging
effort.

Specifically, I'd rather resurrect the old packaging/macos tree that
was removed (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/trunk/revision/15381)
so that it can be worked on. It's a bit annoying that it was removed
rather than just disabling it and letting it to lie fallow in case
people want to work on it. I've got some patches for it that I put on
hold when it went.

I wasn't subscribed to inkscape-devel at the time, so am not clear on
the background/issues/discussion that led up to its removal. If
Martin, ~suv or whoever else could give a summary or link to any
discussion, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Julian Rendell
In reply to this post by Martin Owens-2

Ok, cool.

Ah, just found http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap

It looks like doing this work on Github and (maybe) getting Travis CI working would be useful work-ahead, and not just a side-distraction for tinkering on the Mac build. I’d rather it didn’t come down to people relying on me to create and release builds ;-)

Building on Atsuyoshi’s work, I think there’s one issue that is critical to fix before calling it a generally usable release: figuring out what to do about python and libxml support. Without it extensions probably won’t work.

(I’d also like to see uniconvertor added to, but that might be quite a bit more work.)



Julian


From: Martin Owens [hidden email]
Reply: Martin Owens [hidden email]
Date: February 1, 2017 at 1:00:04 PM
To: Julian Rendell [hidden email], [hidden email] [hidden email]
Subject:  Re: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 15:21 -0500, Julian Rendell wrote:
> If the packaging is figured out, does the Inkscape team have the
> resources to create and publish a Mac binary that can be hosted the
> same as the Windows/Linux builds? (I’m not sure what the CI/build
> infrastructure is for Inkscape.)

Our publishing procedure is fairly simple.

 1. Have a user account on inkscape.org
 2. Modify your account with your name, picture and gpg key (a fake key
is ok, it must exist for you to upload an md5)
 3. Contact the website administrator to increase your quota from 10MB
 4. Upload your DMG along with an md5 or gpg signature
 5. Inform people on the inkscape mailing list to do any final testing
of the download. Provide a link. The files will be automatically cached
by our CDN.
 6. Change the website's CMS pages with the new links and announce more
widely.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Website Administrator


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Julian Rendell
In reply to this post by Tim Sheridan
Tim, I agree. I suggested github because that’s what I’m familiar with, and that’s where Atsuyoshi’s notes are.  I had a quick look at the Inkscape Wiki and didn’t see “request access to the source” instructions. Besides, I’d be worried I’d do something wrong and screw stuff up causing more work for the “real” developers ;-). 

My thought was that if it were to be got working, send in a patch request. (Launchpad is a little daunting for the casual user!)

I’m looking for the least effort path to try and help and also see a Mac build available long term. I no longer do development regularly, but am willing to try and help out… but have some concerns I might drown in learning the tools/mess up/make work for others before providing anything helpful.

OTOH, the roadmap I found suggests a long-term migration to github and using travis is under consideration. I’m a relative newb with both, but have managed to hook up travis on a trivial project, er, trivially. 

Doing this in github might be helpful???

I’ll come back in a couple of days and see where the consensus lies, and help out if I can.

Cheers,

Julian





I'd personally rather put effort into helping sort out the official
packaging situation rather than work on a satellite macOS packaging
effort.

Specifically, I'd rather resurrect the old packaging/macos tree that
was removed (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/trunk/revision/15381)
so that it can be worked on. It's a bit annoying that it was removed
rather than just disabling it and letting it to lie fallow in case
people want to work on it. I've got some patches for it that I put on
hold when it went.

I wasn't subscribed to inkscape-devel at the time, so am not clear on
the background/issues/discussion that led up to its removal. If
Martin, ~suv or whoever else could give a summary or link to any
discussion, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Tim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Bryce Harrington-3
In reply to this post by Julian Rendell
On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 03:21:16PM -0500, Julian Rendell wrote:
> Dipping my toes into the inkscape-devel list.

Welcome to the team!  :-)
 

> I think there’s need for an “official” MacOS build for Inkscape.
>
> e.g. this message:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-devel/thread/9B4B6CD283CF47FA9B608BCDF0E95994%40brynnPC/#msg35637605
>
> There are a few non-core(???) developers/advanced users trying to get MacOS
> packaging working again; both on this thread and e.g.
> https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/message/35584561/
>
> (There’s a great gist with a working procedure, including patches linked in
> Atsuyoshi’s post:
> https://gist.github.com/atuyosi/ab5499a176b0b456bca98c44e2775cbb)

It is apparent that there are multiple ways to get Inkscape installed on
an Mac OS X system, each approach of which has its adherents.  Homebrew,
macports, maybe resurrecting the old X-based/gtk2 packaging, and efforts
towards building the new native/gtk3 packages.  New ideas seem to be
springing up, so I anticipate more approaches to come.  This diverse
energy is exactly what we hoped would spring up, and everyone taking a
shot at making things better deserves applause.  We really need help
from new contributors to help push our OS X packaging forward.  We knew
our existing packaging was not satisfying a large swath of users, but
completely lacked the resources to revamp or replace it.  We hoped by
de-maintaining our old packaging efforts, we could make space here for
new ideas and new folks, that can join in and help make things better.

Personally, I consider macports and homebrew analogous to Debian's or
Fedora's Inkscape packages, in that they're not necessarily our direct
responsibility yet still can be considered part of our larger community.
So in that light, I figure we shouldn't worry too much about what we
call "official"; maybe we'll have a solution we can unify around one
day, but for now let's just let things evolve naturally.

> Question for core team:
>
> If the packaging is figured out, does the Inkscape team have the resources
> to create and publish a Mac binary that can be hosted the same as the
> Windows/Linux builds? (I’m not sure what the CI/build infrastructure is for
> Inkscape.)

Yes.
 
> Extra: could the builds be signed so that they don’t raise security
> warnings?

If you mean can they be gpg signed like the source tarballs, then yes of
course.

If you're talking about something more Mac-specific by the word
'signing', such as something relating to app-store registration or
whatnot, then you'll need to elaborate.  I've got no experience with how
things are done on Mac.

> For Kirk, Tim, Brynn, Windell, Chris, Lyndsy, Atsuyoshi- do you want to
> work together to try and solve this?
>
> I’m most comfortable with git/github, and a quick google reveals there are
> some git to/from bzr tools (e.g. https://github.com/felipec/git-remote-bzr)
>
> My suggestion would be to setup a git repo/project and manually pull in the
> latest 0.92 branch. Then pull in Atsuyoshi’s work, get it working locally,
> then in CI (travis?) In the interim, packages could be hosted as releases
> on the GitHub project page; hopefully the Inkscape project would be able to
> eventually pick up this work and make the github repo obsolete. (I’d
> suggest deleting the github repo at that point. No need for historic
> projects to add to user confusion ;-) )
>
> I’m also happy to see it hosted elsewhere.

You're probably already aware of this, but we have plans in motion to
migrate the Inkscape codebase to gitlab.  This might influence your
plans here.  I'm guessing this will occur in the March timeframe, but we
already have an Inkscape team set up on it and are using it for
inkscape_web work to try it out.  Would you be interested perhaps in
hosting your development team work there within the Inkscape team
account?

Another bit of data I'll mention, that again you probably are aware of
but that might influence your planning, is that our earlier evaluation
indicated the OS X packaging would need redone for supporting Gtk3, and
indeed it was felt that native OS X packaging for Gtk3 would be
significantly easier.  We have already landed the Gtk3 changes for
Inkscape's trunk, which will be released as 0.93, so I believe if
someone wanted to start experimental work on native OS X packaging on
top of trunk, the pre-requisites should be in place to permit that.  The
timeframe for the 0.93 release is uncertain, as always, but my personal
hope is to see it released before the end of the year.


> Let me know if you’d be interested in this and I’ll set up a repo/try to
> participate in figuring out the patches.

Thanks for undertaking this, and please feel comfortable to use the
inkscape-devel@ and #inkscape-devel channels for discussion on this.

Bryce

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Julian Rendell

Thanks for the warm welcome Bryce, and clear answers.

Good that you assume nothing; I’m mostly a user! 

(Disclosure: I am starting a makerspace/education business and want to promote Inkscape to patrons. It’s trivial for Linux/Windows… but I suspect supporting brew/Macports might chew a lot of time :-) )


> Extra: could the builds be signed so that they don’t raise security
> warnings?

If you mean can they be gpg signed like the source tarballs, then yes of
course.

If you're talking about something more Mac-specific by the word
'signing', such as something relating to app-store registration or
whatnot, then you'll need to elaborate. I've got no experience with how
things are done on Mac.


Yes, it’s an Mac security thing. Mac’s give a warning before running “unsigned” apps. 
I’m only vaguely aware of what has to be done to build a package that doesn’t trigger this warning- I think being a registered Mac developer is required. At this point the end user can “approve” the app locally and run it anyway. It’s a “nice to have." 
This only affects non-Mac store apps (I assume all Mac store apps are signed.)


You're probably already aware of this, but we have plans in motion to
migrate the Inkscape codebase to gitlab. This might influence your
plans here. I'm guessing this will occur in the March timeframe, but we
already have an Inkscape team set up on it and are using it for
inkscape_web work to try it out. Would you be interested perhaps in
hosting your development team work there within the Inkscape team
account?


Not at all aware of this.

If the other interested parties are ok with using gitlab then let’s get it setup.

Let’s give them a couple of days to respond.


Another bit of data I'll mention, that again you probably are aware of
but that might influence your planning, is that our earlier evaluation
indicated the OS X packaging would need redone for supporting Gtk3, and
indeed it was felt that native OS X packaging for Gtk3 would be
significantly easier. We have already landed the Gtk3 changes for
Inkscape's trunk, which will be released as 0.93, so I believe if
someone wanted to start experimental work on native OS X packaging on
top of trunk, the pre-requisites should be in place to permit that. The
timeframe for the 0.93 release is uncertain, as always, but my personal
hope is to see it released before the end of the year.


Vaguely aware of it. I got cmake to work, twiddled flags, rebuilt, and eventually got a local binary that ran using GTK3 native.
It was sort of awful- lots of tearing and things not redrawing; sometimes tools couldn’t be clicked on. Then someone updated the brew file and I went back to using that, which appears to be GTK2 based. But there’s a very good chance I messed something up installing GTK3 via brew.

Having said that, I’d be happy to work with the gtk3/head, if it’s to support the goal of supporting future work. I can setup a VM for development/testing.


> Let me know if you’d be interested in this and I’ll set up a repo/try to
> participate in figuring out the patches.

Thanks for undertaking this, and please feel comfortable to use the
inkscape-devel@ and #inkscape-devel channels for discussion on this.


Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

Cheers,

Julian


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Bryce Harrington-3
On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 05:20:18PM -0500, Julian Rendell wrote:

> Thanks for the warm welcome Bryce, and clear answers.
>
> Good that you assume nothing; I’m mostly a user!
>
> (Disclosure: I am starting a makerspace/education business and want to
> promote Inkscape to patrons. It’s trivial for Linux/Windows… but I suspect
> supporting brew/Macports might chew a lot of time :-) )
>
>
> > Extra: could the builds be signed so that they don’t raise security
> > warnings?
>
> If you mean can they be gpg signed like the source tarballs, then yes of
> course.
>
> If you're talking about something more Mac-specific by the word
> 'signing', such as something relating to app-store registration or
> whatnot, then you'll need to elaborate. I've got no experience with how
> things are done on Mac.
>
>
> Yes, it’s an Mac security thing. Mac’s give a warning before running
> “unsigned” apps.
> I’m only vaguely aware of what has to be done to build a package that
> doesn’t trigger this warning- I think being a registered Mac developer is
> required. At this point the end user can “approve” the app locally and run
> it anyway. It’s a “nice to have."
> This only affects non-Mac store apps (I assume all Mac store apps are
> signed.)

What's involved in becoming a registered Mac developer?

> You're probably already aware of this, but we have plans in motion to
> migrate the Inkscape codebase to gitlab. This might influence your
> plans here. I'm guessing this will occur in the March timeframe, but we
> already have an Inkscape team set up on it and are using it for
> inkscape_web work to try it out. Would you be interested perhaps in
> hosting your development team work there within the Inkscape team
> account?
>
>
> Not at all aware of this.
>
> If the other interested parties are ok with using gitlab then let’s get it
> setup.
>
> Let’s give them a couple of days to respond.

Ok, sounds good.

> Another bit of data I'll mention, that again you probably are aware of
> but that might influence your planning, is that our earlier evaluation
> indicated the OS X packaging would need redone for supporting Gtk3, and
> indeed it was felt that native OS X packaging for Gtk3 would be
> significantly easier. We have already landed the Gtk3 changes for
> Inkscape's trunk, which will be released as 0.93, so I believe if
> someone wanted to start experimental work on native OS X packaging on
> top of trunk, the pre-requisites should be in place to permit that. The
> timeframe for the 0.93 release is uncertain, as always, but my personal
> hope is to see it released before the end of the year.
>
>
> Vaguely aware of it. I got cmake to work, twiddled flags, rebuilt, and
> eventually got a local binary that ran using GTK3 native.
> It was sort of awful- lots of tearing and things not redrawing; sometimes
> tools couldn’t be clicked on. Then someone updated the brew file and I went
> back to using that, which appears to be GTK2 based. But there’s a very good
> chance I messed something up installing GTK3 via brew.
>
> Having said that, I’d be happy to work with the gtk3/head, if it’s to
> support the goal of supporting future work. I can setup a VM for
> development/testing.

It depends of course on how you want to invest your energies and how
urgent your needs are.  That said, from the projects' perspective having
Gtk3 OS X packaging ready for 0.93 is the more strategically important
since it will be the longer term need.  And to my knowledge no one is
working on it at present, so it's a clear area where help is needed.

Bryce

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Windell H. Oskay

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 5:34 PM, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> What's involved in becoming a registered Mac developer?

One development team member needs to have a Mac on the current OS version, and pay a $99/year fee for access to the developer program. After that, there are some minor hurdles to install the necessary set of developer certificates and to sign the packages and/or installers.

Once an application or package is signed, it essentially communicates to other Mac computers that it has been digitally signed by a known developer, and has not been tampered with since it was signed.

(I manage this process for my own tiny apps. I have also signed copies of Inkscape.)


Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
175 San Lazaro Ave, STE 150
Sunnyvale CA 94086
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Inkscape 0.92 via homebew on macOS

Julian Rendell
In reply to this post by Bryce Harrington-3

What's involved in becoming a registered Mac developer?


I think there’s an annual ~$99 fee. 

Yip, top couple of Google results that I’ve skimmed:



Something for after getting a working package.

>
> If the other interested parties are ok with using gitlab then let’s get it
> setup.
>
> Let’s give them a couple of days to respond.

Ok, sounds good.


Does the gitlab outages affect this suggestion at all?

Is the project planning on using Gitlabs CI system? Skimming <https://about.gitlab.com/gitlab-ci/> it looks like you have to self-host the runners (build agents.) Ok, found this thread (https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/5931) that gives some details. There are free, shared runners, but only for linux. 

I like CI, it keeps me honest. But worst case, primary hosting on gitlabs, secondary on github, use Travis with the github mirror for Mac builds. Git makes multiple remotes pretty straight forward :-)

The Travis OS X support page looks pretty good (https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/osx-ci-environment/) - looks like they have the current OS release, and the previous two available, and brew available to install tools and dependencies.

Hosting on Gitlabs and using Github as a mirror/CI system could be a nice backup strategy.




It depends of course on how you want to invest your energies and how 
urgent your needs are. That said, from the projects' perspective having 
Gtk3 OS X packaging ready for 0.93 is the more strategically important 
since it will be the longer term need. And to my knowledge no one is 
working on it at present, so it's a clear area where help is needed. 

I’d much rather work on something that helps this long term.

Right now, the brew tap that was created solves my personal and immediate needs. I’ll look into means of supporting other local Mac users when that crops up. By then I might have enough knowledge to at least build everything into a single directory and provide a bash script + icon for them to use in the interim. 



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
12
Loading...