Inkscape 1.0 updated (tentative) release schedule

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Inkscape 1.0 updated (tentative) release schedule

Marc Jeanmougin
Hi all!

After some discussions at the hackfest we came up with an updated
release plan, for  a release early september:

- As soon as possible: 1.0~alpha2
- Between mid-june and end of june (when toolbar and immediately
noticeable bugs are fixed): 1.0~beta
- End of June: Feature freeze and 1.0 branch
- End of July: String freeze
- Between mid-june and mid-august: bug hunt!

Early september: release !

Any remarks on this plan are welcome :)

--
Mc



_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inkscape 1.0 updated (tentative) release schedule

doctormo
This seems very reasonable Marc.

I feel like we need a lot of gearing towards bug fixing over all,
because a lot of developers are still working on features and old time
developers that know a lot about the code aren't contributing as much.
I wonder if we have a set schedule like this, if we could get very busy
people to plan in advance to spend a week working on Inkscape bugs full
time (or part time) in a sort of intensive bug week?

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Wed, 2019-05-29 at 11:07 +0200, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> After some discussions at the hackfest we came up with an updated
> release plan, for  a release early september:
>
> - As soon as possible: 1.0~alpha2
> - Between mid-june and end of june (when toolbar and immediately
> noticeable bugs are fixed): 1.0~beta
> - End of June: Feature freeze and 1.0 branch
> - End of July: String freeze
> - Between mid-june and mid-august: bug hunt!
>
> Early september: release !
>
> Any remarks on this plan are welcome :)
>



_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Beta-blockers ?

Marc Jeanmougin
In reply to this post by Marc Jeanmougin
Hi all,

The toolbar bug seems fixed for most systems and only seems to appear on
wayland (at least I can't trigger it on xorg), and is now reported
upstream at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/2000

The translation system seems better (#311), so … do anyone see any issue
that would need to be fixed before releasing a beta ?

--
Mc




_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Patrick Storz

Am 05.07.2019 um 15:33 schrieb Marc Jeanmougin:
> Hi all,  > > The toolbar bug seems fixed for most systems and only seems to
appear > on wayland (at least I can't trigger it on xorg), and is now
reported > upstream at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/2000 >
 > The translation system seems better (#311), so … do anyone see any >
issue that would need to be fixed before releasing a beta ?

Regarding the release schedule, could you clarify:
- will this be the only beta release?
- will there be release candidates before the final Inkscape 1.0 release
(and if yes how many and in what approx. times before the release)?

IMHO this will change what needs to be fixed before releasing the beta.
If we go for only one beta and at most one RC immediately before the
release, we should try to make this beta count, i.e. make it as
"finished" as possible so all functionality that will be in the final
version can be thoroughly tested.

We're in a pretty solid state right now (yay, physics!) but there are a
few things we should likely get wrapped up before the "final" beta:
- XML/editor style dialog. I see Jabier is still actively working on
that and there seem to be still some issues in it (for example I'm
seeing assertion errors on the command line)
- Text toolbar. Line-height stuff is currently pretty broken after Alex'
latest rewrite and Jabier/Tav are still thinking about ways to improve
the UI part (that wasn't ideal before)
- Personally I'd like to get Windows-packaging finished for the beta
release, however I have a feeling I won't start with this unless I'm
forced to by a deadline, so it's probably best if you set a release date
for the beta and make sure to let me know a week or so in advance. ;-)

On top of that I still think we should get the .inx format changes we
were discussing into 1.0 (might not be absolutely necessary to already
have for beta, though). I think I'll write up an issue with the intended
changes one of these days, and if people agree with it I'd also be
available to implement the changes.

Cheers,
Patrick



_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Marc Jeanmougin
Le 07/07/2019 à 15:39, Patrick Storz a écrit :
> Regarding the release schedule, could you clarify:
> - will this be the only beta release?
> - will there be release candidates before the final Inkscape 1.0 release
> (and if yes how many and in what approx. times before the release)?

- Ideally, no;
- Yes, at least one:


Basically, here is how I see things:

- For beta, there should be no bugs that prevent "normal*" usage in most
situations. Crashes are regrettable, UI could be subject to small
change, new features should be testable, strings should not change.
Blockers for going beta would be bugs that prevent basic usage of
Inkscape, and focus is given to stability and bugfixes. I think we can
aim for releasing one beta every ~two weeks during the summer with the
aim for going to RC at the end of august, so ~4 beta at e.g. 10/7, 24/7,
7/8, 21/8. Note that I still aim for string freeze at end of july, which
means between the second one and the third one.

- For RC, UI should be fixed, and no bug should prevent someone to work
however he/she wants with Inkscape. Priority should be given to fixing
edge-case crashes, checking compatibility with previous files, and
packaging preparations. Blockers for going to RC would be big UI
problems, rendering bugs, or crashes detected in beta that happen in any
"normal" usage. IMO, we could aim for one at end of August, then one per
week as long as we have release blockers (which means one in total,
right ?).

- Bugs in release are inevitable, but if we could check that old files
still work (and look the same), that no bugs happen with the basic
operations (including exporting or exporting) or when using anything,
and that the packages are ok for most platforms, then it would be good :)


*: "normal" or "basic" usage arbitrarily refer to anything using these
tools : selector/node/rect/circle/star/pen/pencil/text; the whole
"Object" and "Path" menus; fill&stroke dialog; align&distribute dialog;
export PNG; snapping; extensions work as expected; Can
open/import/export PDF and SVG.



> - XML/editor style dialog. I see Jabier is still actively working on
> that and there seem to be still some issues in it (for example I'm
> seeing assertion errors on the command line)
> - Text toolbar. Line-height stuff is currently pretty broken after Alex'
> latest rewrite and Jabier/Tav are still thinking about ways to improve
> the UI part (that wasn't ideal before)
> - Personally I'd like to get Windows-packaging finished for the beta
> release, however I have a feeling I won't start with this unless I'm
> forced to by a deadline, so it's probably best if you set a release date
> for the beta and make sure to let me know a week or so in advance. ;-)
We can aim for ß2^^

> On top of that I still think we should get the .inx format changes we
> were discussing into 1.0 (might not be absolutely necessary to already
> have for beta, though). I think I'll write up an issue with the intended
> changes one of these days, and if people agree with it I'd also be
> available to implement the changes.

Sure!

Le 05/07/2019 à 23:09, René de Hesselle a écrit :

> Hi Mc and all,
>
> I reviewed the open issues regarding macOS and I consider these three
> as potential blockers for beta:
>
> - crash: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/issues/266
> - not sure how painful: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/issues/278
> - annoying: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/535
>
> Opinions?
>
> --
> RdH

The second one is fixed, and the two other look like things that should
not prevent to launch a beta (the "font editor" is not the most used
thing, and the other is certainly an annoyance but looks like something
having to be fixed before rc)


As usual, feel free to make any remarks on my thoughts on the subject, I
by no mean plan to impose my views on How-Things-Should-Be or rush
anyone, I just try to keep things moving forward with a plan, and if we
end up needing more time, then so be it :)


--

Mc




_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Marc Jeanmougin
Hi!


I'd like to organize an IRC/RC release meeting to discuss, well, the
release timing and TODO. I guess the most practical would be 19h CEST,
same as board meeting (what about early next week ?). I do have some
questions prior to it to better estimate the stuff to do, with people
from whom I'd like some input. Would it be possible to get a clearer
picture on the following points before the meeting ?


== Extensions (Martin, Patrick, others) ==

What is the state of extensions (#156) ? In particular, their
translatability (#333) ? Is the current submodule commit in a "good
state" ? What to do with the old uniconvertor extensions, do we update
them to uniconvertor 2.0rc5 ?

== Theming (Jabier, others) ==

How stable and maintainable is the stuff we intend to ship with Inkscape
? CSS, icons ? How do they interact with one another, and which one do
we want to show as default ? What was the goal of MR !811 and how does
it comply with user expectations ?

== LPEs (Jabier) ==

Are all LPEs stable enough to be shipped ?

== Gtk General interface stuff (all) ==

Do we still have interface problems like toolbars not showing up or
menus needing two clicks, or anything of the sort, on any platform ? Is
#195 still reproducible ?

== Packaging (RdH, Patrick, others) ==

Approximately how much work is still needed for macOS stable dmg
production or windows packaging ?

What happens with the ubuntu bionic "dependency wait" ? (
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/437056488/buildlog.txt.gz )

== Stability (Maren, Chris, all) ==

How do people feel about general stability ? any things that would
definitely look bad in a beta ?

== XML editor (Jabier) ==

Is all the work on it finished ?

== Performance (all) ==

Do we still have these massive performance problems as soon as the
Objects dialog (or XML ?) has been opened ?

== Text (Tav, Jabier, others) ==

How usable is the text tool ? Do we implement the "hamburger" toolbar ?
Do we still have issues with variable font sliders ? How understandable
are our text tools, and are users able to "just write text" without
surprises ? (with line heights for instance ?)

== SVG2 (Tav, all) ==

I'm not sure we have discussed enough the transition between SVG1.1 and
SVG2. If we start producing svg2 documents that are not svg1.1-valid,
should we use version="2" in <svg> ? how will it be understood by other
renderers ? When and how do we intend to switch the 1.2 flawed text into
the newly flawed text, how will we handle old documents, and how do we
ensure they will render exactly the same ? Do we provide a way to save
in "valid SVG1.1 document without SVG2 stuff" ?

== Documentation (Maren) ==

I saw https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-docs/documentation/issues/2 ,
do we have more stuff to update ? By the way, how do we sync the
inkscape/inkscape repo with the inkscape/inkscape-docs ?

== Other business (all) ==

Any other problem that I could be missing ?

--
Mc


Le 08/07/2019 à 15:54, Marc Jeanmougin a écrit :

> Le 07/07/2019 à 15:39, Patrick Storz a écrit :
>> Regarding the release schedule, could you clarify:
>> - will this be the only beta release?
>> - will there be release candidates before the final Inkscape 1.0 release
>> (and if yes how many and in what approx. times before the release)?
> - Ideally, no;
> - Yes, at least one:
>
>
> Basically, here is how I see things:
>
> - For beta, there should be no bugs that prevent "normal*" usage in most
> situations. Crashes are regrettable, UI could be subject to small
> change, new features should be testable, strings should not change.
> Blockers for going beta would be bugs that prevent basic usage of
> Inkscape, and focus is given to stability and bugfixes. I think we can
> aim for releasing one beta every ~two weeks during the summer with the
> aim for going to RC at the end of august, so ~4 beta at e.g. 10/7, 24/7,
> 7/8, 21/8. Note that I still aim for string freeze at end of july, which
> means between the second one and the third one.
>
> - For RC, UI should be fixed, and no bug should prevent someone to work
> however he/she wants with Inkscape. Priority should be given to fixing
> edge-case crashes, checking compatibility with previous files, and
> packaging preparations. Blockers for going to RC would be big UI
> problems, rendering bugs, or crashes detected in beta that happen in any
> "normal" usage. IMO, we could aim for one at end of August, then one per
> week as long as we have release blockers (which means one in total,
> right ?).
>
> - Bugs in release are inevitable, but if we could check that old files
> still work (and look the same), that no bugs happen with the basic
> operations (including exporting or exporting) or when using anything,
> and that the packages are ok for most platforms, then it would be good :)
>
>
> *: "normal" or "basic" usage arbitrarily refer to anything using these
> tools : selector/node/rect/circle/star/pen/pencil/text; the whole
> "Object" and "Path" menus; fill&stroke dialog; align&distribute dialog;
> export PNG; snapping; extensions work as expected; Can
> open/import/export PDF and SVG.
>
>
>
>> - XML/editor style dialog. I see Jabier is still actively working on
>> that and there seem to be still some issues in it (for example I'm
>> seeing assertion errors on the command line)
>> - Text toolbar. Line-height stuff is currently pretty broken after Alex'
>> latest rewrite and Jabier/Tav are still thinking about ways to improve
>> the UI part (that wasn't ideal before)
>> - Personally I'd like to get Windows-packaging finished for the beta
>> release, however I have a feeling I won't start with this unless I'm
>> forced to by a deadline, so it's probably best if you set a release date
>> for the beta and make sure to let me know a week or so in advance. ;-)
> We can aim for ß2^^
>
>> On top of that I still think we should get the .inx format changes we
>> were discussing into 1.0 (might not be absolutely necessary to already
>> have for beta, though). I think I'll write up an issue with the intended
>> changes one of these days, and if people agree with it I'd also be
>> available to implement the changes.
> Sure!
>
> Le 05/07/2019 à 23:09, René de Hesselle a écrit :
>> Hi Mc and all,
>>
>> I reviewed the open issues regarding macOS and I consider these three
>> as potential blockers for beta:
>>
>> - crash: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/issues/266
>> - not sure how painful: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/issues/278
>> - annoying: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/535
>>
>> Opinions?
>>
>> --
>> RdH
>
> The second one is fixed, and the two other look like things that should
> not prevent to launch a beta (the "font editor" is not the most used
> thing, and the other is certainly an annoyance but looks like something
> having to be fixed before rc)
>
>
> As usual, feel free to make any remarks on my thoughts on the subject, I
> by no mean plan to impose my views on How-Things-Should-Be or rush
> anyone, I just try to keep things moving forward with a plan, and if we
> end up needing more time, then so be it :)
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape Devel mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]


_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Jabier Arraiza
About XML editor is near ok to beta try to merge my latest changes this weekend.

About hamburger/line height I have a tested branch with good line height ui but I want to know Tav opinion

About LPE need to give a turn but I'm super busy this next two months

About theming seems ok but pending:
We want to think if we ship the experimental icon theme, not affect code wise
I'm in mobile about the branch you mentioned think is one of two about shipping inkscape with custom gtk themes
Is a decision we need to take


Enviado desde TypeApp
En 12 ago. 2019, en 21:59, Marc Jeanmougin <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hi!


I'd like to organize an IRC/RC release meeting to discuss, well, the
release timing and TODO. I guess the most practical would be 19h CEST,
same as board meeting (what about early next week ?). I do have some
questions prior to it to better estimate the stuff to do, with people
from whom I'd like some input. Would it be possible to get a clearer
picture on the following points before the meeting ?


== Extensions (Martin, Patrick, others) ==

What is the state of extensions (#156) ? In particular, their
translatability (#333) ? Is the current submodule commit in a "good
state" ? What to do with the old uniconvertor extensions, do we update
them to uniconvertor 2.0rc5 ?

== Theming (Jabier, others) ==

How stable and maintainable is the stuff we intend to ship with Inkscape
? CSS, icons ? How do they interact with one another, and which one do
we want to show as default ? What was the goal of MR !811 and how does
it comply with user expectations ?

== LPEs (Jabier) ==

Are all LPEs stable enough to be shipped ?

== Gtk General interface stuff (all) ==

Do we still have interface problems like toolbars not showing up or
menus needing two clicks, or anything of the sort, on any platform ? Is
#195 still reproducible ?

== Packaging (RdH, Patrick, others) ==

Approximately how much work is still needed for macOS stable dmg
production or windows packaging ?

What happens with the ubuntu bionic "dependency wait" ? (
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/437056488/buildlog.txt.gz )

== Stability (Maren, Chris, all) ==

How do people feel about general stability ? any things that would
definitely look bad in a beta ?

== XML editor (Jabier) ==

Is all the work on it finished ?

== Performance (all) ==

Do we still have these massive performance problems as soon as the
Objects dialog (or XML ?) has been opened ?

== Text (Tav, Jabier, others) ==

How usable is the text tool ? Do we implement the "hamburger" toolbar ?
Do we still have issues with variable font sliders ? How understandable
are our text tools, and are users able to "just write text" without
surprises ? (with line heights for instance ?)

== SVG2 (Tav, all) ==

I'm not sure we have discussed enough the transition between SVG1.1 and
SVG2. If we start producing svg2 documents that are not svg1.1-valid,
should we use version="2" in <svg> ? how will it be understood by other
renderers ? When and how do we intend to switch the 1.2 flawed text into
the newly flawed text, how will we handle old documents, and how do we
ensure they will render exactly the same ? Do we provide a way to save
in "valid SVG1.1 document without SVG2 stuff" ?

== Documentation (Maren) ==

I saw https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-docs/documentation/issues/2 ,
do we have more stuff to update ? By the way, how do we sync the
inkscape/inkscape repo with the inkscape/inkscape-docs ?

== Other business (all) ==

Any other problem that I could be missing ?


_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

doctormo
In reply to this post by Marc Jeanmougin
Thanks Marc,

I'd like to answer these here for now.

On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 21:13 +0200, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:
> What is the state of extensions (#156)?

Some errors with specific extensions, a lot of testing done and we're
confident that much of the known issues are reported and awaiting
fixes.

> In particular, their translatability (#333) ?

Proper translatability is scheduled for 1.1. The stop gap of continuing
to use the inkscape pot file will remain for 1.0 and Patrick has some
good inx additions which will go in for this version, but will be used
fully going forwards.

Patrick can fill in this in more details.

> Is the current submodule commit in a "good state" ? What to do with
> the old uniconvertor extensions, do we update them to uniconvertor
> 2.0rc5 ?

Uniconvertor is problematic. It's not packaged for distributions, it
doesn't open ai files like it's supposed to and it's got version
problems. I'm open to letting it go.

But that's a personal preference. It's not in the core extensions
repository any more, so it's now outside of the supported core, but
it's up to packagers how much effort they want to put into an
unsupported module. The code still works (I made sure we had the
depricated code recently) but beyond that, I won't be upgrading it to
the 1.0 API or packaging it or it's upstream.

Best Regards, Martin Owens



_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Miguel Lopez
I'd just like to add here that I am having issue preserving LPEs after
saving as Inkscape SVG. When they load, they are gone as if they're not
applied.

Windows 10 x64 - Inkscape 1.0Alpha2 (5ea11cr, 2019-07-24).

On 8/12/2019 7:49 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

> Thanks Marc,
>
> I'd like to answer these here for now.
>
> On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 21:13 +0200, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:
>> What is the state of extensions (#156)?
> Some errors with specific extensions, a lot of testing done and we're
> confident that much of the known issues are reported and awaiting
> fixes.
>
>> In particular, their translatability (#333) ?
> Proper translatability is scheduled for 1.1. The stop gap of continuing
> to use the inkscape pot file will remain for 1.0 and Patrick has some
> good inx additions which will go in for this version, but will be used
> fully going forwards.
>
> Patrick can fill in this in more details.
>
>> Is the current submodule commit in a "good state" ? What to do with
>> the old uniconvertor extensions, do we update them to uniconvertor
>> 2.0rc5 ?
> Uniconvertor is problematic. It's not packaged for distributions, it
> doesn't open ai files like it's supposed to and it's got version
> problems. I'm open to letting it go.
>
> But that's a personal preference. It's not in the core extensions
> repository any more, so it's now outside of the supported core, but
> it's up to packagers how much effort they want to put into an
> unsupported module. The code still works (I made sure we had the
> depricated code recently) but beyond that, I won't be upgrading it to
> the 1.0 API or packaging it or it's upstream.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Miguel,

¿Could you specify steps to reproduce please and link a SVG?

Regards, Jabier.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel Lopez <[hidden email]>
To: Martin Owens <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email] <
[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Beta-blockers ?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 02:15:47 +0000

I'd just like to add here that I am having issue preserving LPEs after
saving as Inkscape SVG. When they load, they are gone as if they're
not
applied.

Windows 10 x64 - Inkscape 1.0Alpha2 (5ea11cr, 2019-07-24).

On 8/12/2019 7:49 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

> Thanks Marc,
>
> I'd like to answer these here for now.
>
> On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 21:13 +0200, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:
> > What is the state of extensions (#156)?
> Some errors with specific extensions, a lot of testing done and we're
> confident that much of the known issues are reported and awaiting
> fixes.
>
> > In particular, their translatability (#333) ?
> Proper translatability is scheduled for 1.1. The stop gap of
> continuing
> to use the inkscape pot file will remain for 1.0 and Patrick has some
> good inx additions which will go in for this version, but will be
> used
> fully going forwards.
>
> Patrick can fill in this in more details.
>
> > Is the current submodule commit in a "good state" ? What to do with
> > the old uniconvertor extensions, do we update them to uniconvertor
> > 2.0rc5 ?
> Uniconvertor is problematic. It's not packaged for distributions, it
> doesn't open ai files like it's supposed to and it's got version
> problems. I'm open to letting it go.
>
> But that's a personal preference. It's not in the core extensions
> repository any more, so it's now outside of the supported core, but
> it's up to packagers how much effort they want to put into an
> unsupported module. The code still works (I made sure we had the
> depricated code recently) but beyond that, I won't be upgrading it to
> the 1.0 API or packaging it or it's upstream.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel


_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Patrick Storz
In reply to this post by Marc Jeanmougin
Hi Marc,

thanks for planning this thoroughly! Answers below.


Am 12.08.2019 um 21:13 schrieb Marc Jeanmougin:
> == Extensions (Martin, Patrick, others) ==
>
> What is the state of extensions (#156) ? In particular, their
> translatability (#333) ? Is the current submodule commit in a "good
> state" ? What to do with the old uniconvertor extensions, do we update
> them to uniconvertor 2.0rc5 ?

While Martin and others did (and are still doing) a great job on the
bundled Python extensions I'm currently working on the extension
implementation in Inkscape itself.

I just finished one big part (.inx format updates and the internal logic
in Inkscape to parse preferences/parameters form it while also creating
nice GUIs) which is ready for review at
     https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/808

As Martin already mentioned translations are basically handled as before
(still use inkscapes .pot/.po files), only the way we mark strings for
translation in the.inx changed. Once the MR is merged it will be a
trivial job to update the .inx files with some search&replace, although
the code should be fully backwards-compatible to earlier .inx files.

Regarding splitting the translations of extensions into the extension
repo (and also allowing third-party extensions to ship their own
translations):
The current MR implements the syntax, but the actual functionality is
not included yet. However I realized while working on it, that I already
have done most of the required refactoring, minimizing the effort that
remains for finishing the feature.
If we feel like this is a welcome feature for 1.0 already, we can
probably implement it in time instead of delaying it until 1.1 as I
initially planned. I'm starting to think that this would actually be
nice, as we can offer a finished feature in 1.0 instead of just syntax
for a feature that is not implemented yet.


> == Gtk General interface stuff (all) ==
>
> Do we still have interface problems like toolbars not showing up or
> menus needing two clicks, or anything of the sort, on any platform ? Is
> #195 still reproducible ?

I'm not aware of anything specific right now that prevents usage.

In general there's still a fundamental "glitchiness" to gtk3 on Windows,
but I'm afraid that's just how gtk3 works on Windows these days. We'll
certainly get some questions about it, but I wouldn't know what to do to
significantly improve this until the release.


> == Packaging (RdH, Patrick, others) ==
>
> Approximately how much work is still needed for macOS stable dmg
> production or windows packaging ?
>
> What happens with the ubuntu bionic "dependency wait" ? (
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/437056488/buildlog.txt.gz )

Updating our existing Windows packaging for 1.0 should be easy (once I
can motivate myself to do it).

I always planned to look into cpack and investigate if it can produce
proper installers, so we might eventually get rid of our own packaging
and reduce the overhead of maintaining it, but that might need some more
work.


> == Performance (all) ==
>
> Do we still have these massive performance problems as soon as the
> Objects dialog (or XML ?) has been opened ?

I'm not aware anybody pushed a fix? Didn't retest, though.

Apart from that performance stil lseems worse than 0.92.x (at least on
Windows), but also here I wouldn't really know what to do. It's usable,
but it's not good.

One particular performance issue (I know there were multiple reports,
but not sure we have an actual issue for it and GitLab throws 500 errors
at me):
Selecting a new font takes a very long time (a few seconds at least,
some take 10-20 seconds). Not sure if this is exclusive to Windows? It
does not happen in 0.92.x, though (with the same version of
fontconfig/harfbuzz/pango/...), so it's either something we're doing, or
something gtk3 is doing differently from gtk2. I think performance
wasn't always bad in master, though. I think it started either with the
variable fonts support or after the SPStyle refactor.


>
> == Text (Tav, Jabier, others) ==
>
> How usable is the text tool ? Do we implement the "hamburger" toolbar ?
> Do we still have issues with variable font sliders ? How understandable
> are our text tools, and are users able to "just write text" without
> surprises ? (with line heights for instance ?)

Tbh, I can't use the text toolbar myself anymore... Either I'm to stupid
or we really *should* do something about usability.

It never behaves as expected and always sets properties in ways that
were not intended.


One line-height related issue that also needs attention is
     https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/issues/244


> == SVG2 (Tav, all) ==
>
> I'm not sure we have discussed enough the transition between SVG1.1 and
> SVG2. If we start producing svg2 documents that are not svg1.1-valid,
> should we use version="2" in <svg> ? how will it be understood by other
> renderers ? When and how do we intend to switch the 1.2 flawed text into
> the newly flawed text, how will we handle old documents, and how do we
> ensure they will render exactly the same ? Do we provide a way to save
> in "valid SVG1.1 document without SVG2 stuff" ?

I'd say we should always produce SVG1.1 fallbacks, even if we use SVG2
features?

Maybe we can then add an option to disable the compatiblity shims and
produce a "pure" SVG2 document.

I know some switches are available, but Tav can probably comment better
on what is implemented and what isn't.


> == Documentation (Maren) ==
>
> I saw https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-docs/documentation/issues/2 ,
> do we have more stuff to update ? By the way, how do we sync the
> inkscape/inkscape repo with the inkscape/inkscape-docs ?

As Maren mentioned already there's a lot to update content-wise.

I've handled most of the technical side and meant to make a call for
help at some point, but didn't get the chance to do it yet.

Once content is updated I typically copy the CI-generated files manually
and push the update to the inkscape repo. Basically this can wait till
shortly before 1.0, but we can certainly schedule a preliminary update
for the beta(s).


Cheers,
Patrick



_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beta-blockers ?

Jabier Arraiza
In reply to this post by Miguel Lopez
Hi.

The bug on fillet-chamfer LPE pointed by Miguel Lopez is fixed in
master now in d404e05006

Bye all.





-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel Lopez <[hidden email]>
To: Martin Owens <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email] <
[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Beta-blockers ?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 02:15:47 +0000

I'd just like to add here that I am having issue preserving LPEs after
saving as Inkscape SVG. When they load, they are gone as if they're
not
applied.

Windows 10 x64 - Inkscape 1.0Alpha2 (5ea11cr, 2019-07-24).

On 8/12/2019 7:49 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

> Thanks Marc,
>
> I'd like to answer these here for now.
>
> On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 21:13 +0200, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:
> > What is the state of extensions (#156)?
> Some errors with specific extensions, a lot of testing done and we're
> confident that much of the known issues are reported and awaiting
> fixes.
>
> > In particular, their translatability (#333) ?
> Proper translatability is scheduled for 1.1. The stop gap of
> continuing
> to use the inkscape pot file will remain for 1.0 and Patrick has some
> good inx additions which will go in for this version, but will be
> used
> fully going forwards.
>
> Patrick can fill in this in more details.
>
> > Is the current submodule commit in a "good state" ? What to do with
> > the old uniconvertor extensions, do we update them to uniconvertor
> > 2.0rc5 ?
> Uniconvertor is problematic. It's not packaged for distributions, it
> doesn't open ai files like it's supposed to and it's got version
> problems. I'm open to letting it go.
>
> But that's a personal preference. It's not in the core extensions
> repository any more, so it's now outside of the supported core, but
> it's up to packagers how much effort they want to put into an
> unsupported module. The code still works (I made sure we had the
> depricated code recently) but beyond that, I won't be upgrading it to
> the 1.0 API or packaging it or it's upstream.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Inkscape-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel


_______________________________________________
Inkscape-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment