Inkscape 1.2 ~ Refactoring - CAD?

Philip Rhoades
People,

Recently I had quite a bit of help with fixing problems in drawings that
came via DWG -> PDF:

https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-user/?viewmonth=201806&viewday=21&style=threaded

I see there have been many posts over the years about developing a CAD
version of Inkscape - with suggested changes to the code for v1.2, that
should be more easily done?  ie A separated backend "engine" with
appropriate "frontend"?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Inkscape 1.2 ~ Refactoring - CAD?

Victor Westmann
Hi Phil

For 2D CAD programs you can use www.librecad.com

For 3D CAD programs you can use https://freecadweb.org

Or am I missing something? :)

Let me know!

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 6:25 PM Philip Rhoades, <[hidden email]> wrote:
People,

Recently I had quite a bit of help with fixing problems in drawings that
came via DWG -> PDF:

https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-user/?viewmonth=201806&viewday=21&style=threaded

I see there have been many posts over the years about developing a CAD
version of Inkscape - with suggested changes to the code for v1.2, that
should be more easily done?  ie A separated backend "engine" with
appropriate "frontend"?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Inkscape 1.2 ~ Refactoring - CAD?

Philip Rhoades
Victor,

On 2018-06-23 12:08, Victor Westmann wrote:
> Hi Phil
>
> For 2D CAD programs you can use www.librecad.com [1]
>
> For 3D CAD programs you can use https://freecadweb.org

I have looked at lots of CAD packages over the years but I REALLY like
the Inkscape interface - I would love to have an extension / add-on or
something for Inkscape that could import and allow me to work on DWGs .
.

> Or am I missing something? :)
>
> Let me know!

Not really - just wishful thinking from me I guess . .

Thanks,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Inkscape 1.2 ~ Refactoring - CAD?

Victor Westmann
Hi Phil

I know what you mean. I also love this project... once you start using inkscape more and more... you kind of see all the places it can be used... and end up using it to do lots of different things in it.

I use it in my work to recreate UI screens and do some icons (pictograms)

:)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 7:19 PM Philip Rhoades, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Victor,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 12:19:20PM +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> Victor,
>

> On 2018-06-23 12:08, Victor Westmann wrote:
> >Hi Phil
> >
> >For 2D CAD programs you can use www.librecad.com [1]
> >
> >For 3D CAD programs you can use https://freecadweb.org
>

> I have looked at lots of CAD packages over the years but I REALLY like the
> Inkscape interface - I would love to have an extension / add-on or something
> for Inkscape that could import and allow me to work on DWGs . .

Got some time and know how to program?  Sounds like a worthwhile project
to undertake.

I do some lightweight cad stuff in Inkscape directly, but just purely
with SVG.  I'd love to see people working on any technical drawing
improvements for it.

Bryce

> >Or am I missing something? :)
> >
> >Let me know!
>

> Not really - just wishful thinking from me I guess . .
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
>

> >On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 6:25 PM Philip Rhoades, <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>People,
> >>
> >>Recently I had quite a bit of help with fixing problems in drawings
> >>that
> >>came via DWG -> PDF:
> >>

> >https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-user/?viewmonth=201806&viewday=21&style=threaded
> >>
> >>I see there have been many posts over the years about developing a
> >>CAD
> >>version of Inkscape - with suggested changes to the code for v1.2,
> >>that
> >>should be more easily done?  ie A separated backend "engine" with
> >>appropriate "frontend"?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Phil.
> >>--
> >>Philip Rhoades
> >>
> >>PO Box 896
> >>Cowra  NSW  2794
> >>Australia
> >>E-mail:  [hidden email]

> >Links:
> >------
> >[1] http://www.librecad.com
>
> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> PO Box 896
> Cowra  NSW  2794
> Australia
> E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Inkscape 1.2 ~ Refactoring - CAD?

Philip Rhoades
Bryce,

On 2018-06-23 13:27, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 12:19:20PM +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> Victor,
>>

>> On 2018-06-23 12:08, Victor Westmann wrote:
>> >Hi Phil
>> >
>> >For 2D CAD programs you can use www.librecad.com [1]
>> >
>> >For 3D CAD programs you can use https://freecadweb.org
>>

>> I have looked at lots of CAD packages over the years but I REALLY like
>> the
>> Inkscape interface - I would love to have an extension / add-on or
>> something
>> for Inkscape that could import and allow me to work on DWGs . .
>
> Got some time and know how to program?  Sounds like a worthwhile
> project
> to undertake.

Yes - I think it is a good idea - I am sure I have had contact with
someone who was doing something in that regard - I will have to look
through emails etc . . yep, yet another really interesting project that
will probably have to wait till the next life or at least until after
some serious rejuvenation therapy becomes available . .

> I do some lightweight cad stuff in Inkscape directly, but just purely
> with SVG.  I'd love to see people working on any technical drawing
> improvements for it.

Right, after importing some pre-existing drawing, I guess it wouldn't
make much sense to persist with DWG . .

Regards,

Phil.

> Bryce
>
>> >Or am I missing something? :)
>> >
>> >Let me know!
>>

>> Not really - just wishful thinking from me I guess . .
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.

>> >https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-user/?viewmonth=201806&viewday=21&style=threaded

>> >Links: